Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVIII | Countdown to Sadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Yikes, this is why you avoid the flavour of the month hot players from the playoffs. 10+ teams... Whoever signs him is gonna end up with more term and AAV on that deal than he is worth.
They'll regret it in december. Injury-proned guy as well.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
With the way that Grubauer played after settling in and Francouz looked in the AHL...having been phenomenal in the K before coming over to prove himself in NA...the avs need in net is for an experienced #3 who could deputize adequately. Someone like former-Avs Calvin Pickard or the Hamburglar.
What are your thoughts on Reimer? He fits your description as an experienced NHL-capable goaltender, and due to the cap hit could probably also bring back the 2nd + 3rd picks used for Burakovsky (if not a 1st once Florida get a little desperate after signing Bob).

His cap hit is $3.4 for 2 more seasons which is manageable given how much capspace we have until Landeskog needs to be resigned in two seasons. Just park him in the AHL and let him be the veteran No.3 insurance policy behind Francouz, and use the picks to bolster the forward group.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
What are your thoughts on Reimer? He fits your description as an experienced NHL-capable goaltender, and due to the cap hit could probably also bring back the 2nd + 3rd picks used for Burakovsky (if not a 1st once Florida get a little desperate after signing Bob).

His cap hit is $3.4 for 2 more seasons which is manageable given how much capspace we have until Landeskog needs to be resigned in two seasons. Just park him in the AHL and let him be the veteran No.3 insurance policy behind Francouz, and use the picks to bolster the forward group.

If we don't sign any good free agents and still have lots of cap space, I'd be all for that type of deal where we can salvage some picks from the Bura trade, yeah.

Reactions: Richard88

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think the Avs need a goalie but I've seen both Johnston and Custance bring them up when discussing the goalie market. I'm not sure if that's them looking at the Avs situation and thinking they need a goalie or if it's based on them actually showing interest in free agent goalies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

FL needs to add something of value they plan to buyout.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Whoever pays Sergei Bobrovsky roughly 10M per season is going to regret that very, very soon. Dude turns 31 before the start of next season.

Enjoy, Florida.

If Panarin and Bob are a package deal I think I'd actually walk away due to Bob. Yes we need that winger, but Bob's contract is going to really f*** up a teams cap in a few years.

Part me would want to say f*** it, sign them both and figure it out too. I don't know that I could actually go through with it though lol.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the Avs need a goalie but I've seen both Johnston and Custance bring them up when discussing the goalie market. I'm not sure if that's them looking at the Avs situation and thinking they need a goalie or if it's based on them actually showing interest in free agent goalies.
I would bet that very, very few people see Francouz as a legitimate option for backup next season, even though I think that's exactly what is going to happen.

So, naturally, they think the Avs need a goalie.

Hell, just the other day I heard on radio someone mention the Avs need a starter because Semyon Varlamov is leaving. It's amazing to me just how little prominent media members know about the Avs. That isn't even inside info requiring digging - just watch the damn games and realize dude was on the bench for two months while Grubauer took over.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Yikes, this is why you avoid the flavour of the month hot players from the playoffs. 10+ teams... Whoever signs him is gonna end up with more term and AAV on that deal than he is worth.
They'll regret it in december. Injury-proned guy as well.

Yeah, it's a shame NHL teams just can't help themselves when it comes to this.

I was hoping Johansson would be one of those under-the-radar guys the Avs could take a look at and bring in. But...nope, plenty of teams lining up to give him stupid money.

Reactions: MarkT

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I don't think they are rating Frank correctly. Which from a distance and based on his contract number is easy to understand. If he was making something closer to like 1.5M. It would probably be more obvious that he was slated as the backup. But having a contract that can be fully off the books if he is sent down does not help that optic.

I can't imagine he would not of explored the market without being told he has the backup role in hand too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I would bet that very, very few people see Francouz as a legitimate option for backup next season, even though I think that's exactly what is going to happen.

So, naturally, they think the Avs need a goalie.

Hell, just the other day I heard on radio someone mention the Avs need a starter because Semyon Varlamov is leaving. It's amazing to me just how little prominent media members know about the Avs. That isn't even inside info requiring digging - just watch the damn games and realize dude was on the bench for two months while Grubauer took over.

I mean even a stat sheet would probably be enough. Also Frank was an AHL all star and top goalie in the KHL. That one isn't difficult to figure out either lol. It is pretty amazing at times.

Oh and I generally don't mind Custence (spelling), but not that long ago he refereed to the Avs as a budget team with an internal cap. That narrative is so damn out of date at this point it is hilarious.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I have just been assuming that Francouz re-signed for 1 year on the assumption he would be the backup/given a chance to play at the NHL level. That said, if Florida were to give up picks for the Avs to take Reimer I think you do that trade.

I am sure the Avs made a pitch to Panarin but in the end I think he either takes big dollars and comfort with his former coach in Florida or really, really big dollars with NYR. My sleeper guess on Colorado landing a big fish is Anders Lee, who could be had for far less (while still commanding a hefty salary).

It also wouldn't shock me if the Avs gave 2-3 years to Corey Perry if he came at a post-buyout fair price. The Avs are young and adding a bit of experience and nastiness isn't going to hurt them. Perry still has some game left in the tank.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah, it's a shame NHL teams just can't help themselves when it comes to this.

I was hoping Johansson would be one of those under-the-radar guys the Avs could take a look at and bring in. But...nope, plenty of teams lining up to give him stupid money.
I was hoping so too, but his playoffs performance was too good. Now he is gonna get six years instead of two years somewhere.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I have just been assuming that Francouz re-signed for 1 year on the assumption he would be the backup/given a chance to play at the NHL level. That said, if Florida were to give up picks for the Avs to take Reimer I think you do that trade.

I am sure the Avs made a pitch to Panarin but in the end I think he either takes big dollars and comfort with his former coach in Florida or really, really big dollars with NYR. My sleeper guess on Colorado landing a big fish is Anders Lee, who could be had for far less (while still commanding a hefty salary).

It also wouldn't shock me if the Avs gave 2-3 years to Corey Perry if he came at a post-buyout fair price. The Avs are young and adding a bit of experience and nastiness isn't going to hurt them. Perry still has some game left in the tank.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about Perry lol. Reimer would probably make it through waivers too.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I mean even a stat sheet would probably be enough. Also Frank was an AHL all star and top goalie in the KHL. That one isn't difficult to figure out either lol. It is pretty amazing at times.

Oh and I generally don't mind Custence (spelling), but not that long ago he refereed to the Avs as a budget team with an internal cap. That narrative is so damn out of date at this point it is hilarious.
I dont blame the outsiders for not assuming that Avs number two goalie this season is gonna be a guy who has never started an NHL game, especially when our starter has never been a starter before.

That tandem is a bit of a gamble, no question about it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
A part of me is hoping Joe just stay out of this July 1st madness and don't risk doing anything that damage our team long term. EVERY year we are screaming for the FO to go after the big free agents. EVERY year. Sure. 1 out of 5 contracts maybe is something teams don't regret. But most of em truly suck.

And you can add the four year deal San Jose gave Boedker to that list.

If we go back three years I'm sure many of us wanted us to go after some of these guys.

(Buuuuut it would also be so cool to bolster our roster with a player and deal with the consequences later, even though my brain is telling me that is really stupid)

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont blame the outsiders for not assuming that Avs number two goalie this season is gonna be a guy who has never started an NHL game, especially when our starter has never been a starter before.

That tandem is a bit of a gamble, no question about it.

Yeah it isn't their worst take. I was way more POed when Custance refereed to us as a team with an internal cap. Which was something he wrote last year lol. Josh and Sakic have directly answered that question about 20 times now. I think Josh referenced the salary cap being our cap even recently in interviews. Yet a East coast National reporter is still throwing out that narrative.

That one is a bit of a pet peeve though. Because you still see Avs fans throw it out from time to time when they want to throw shade.

/rant

A part of me is hoping Joe just stay out of this July 1st madness and don't risk doing anything that damage our team long term. EVERY year we are screaming for the FO to go after the big free agents. EVERY year. Sure. 1 out of 5 contracts maybe is something teams don't regret. But most of em truly suck.

If we go back three years I'm sure many of us wanted us to go after some of these guys.

(Buuuuut it would also be so cool to bolster our roster with a player and deal with the consequences later, even though my brain is telling me that is really stupid)

Yeah there is going to be a lot of land minds. Lee and Donskoi are the only two I've really liked for a while. Zucc not willing to take less than 5 pretty much put me off when it comes to him.

That said I'm using JVR as a good comp for what Lee brings, and I think Lee is better defensively.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

With this news it makes me think even more that Kypreos was right about Zuccarello to Buffalo. Might be jumping the gun but my gut says it seems like Buffalo is more open about who they're after/signing.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

I don't disagree. I'd be especially careful with the term.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't disagree. I'd be especially careful with the term.

This is also sort of the catch 22 on everyone saying "Wait until July 1st before freaking out."

A rumor was already reported that we've backed away from players due to term recently. There was also a report that the reason we didn't trade for Hayes's rights was due to term.

I fully believe Sakic is being careful about term for these guys, but that may end up shutting the door on pretty much anyone that would be an immediate upgrade.

So there is enough there to make me think there is a good chance we do not end up signing anyone, and watching it be another tweener like Dingle or Connolly.

Reactions: Richard88 and Y3TI

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That 2nd year he has left is a real killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad