Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVII | Everyone is pessimistically optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Sooooooo... with 31 Thoughts basically torpedoing the Avs' chances at anyone we thought they were looking at, umm, maybe, I mean, what about... Duchene? Don't throw rotten fruit at me!

Yeah I read that and was like ????? Seems like he wanted to write about all the cap space that the Avs had but doesn't have any info whatsoever on what they are going to do with it - so he decided to say that they'd be out on everything. (unlikely)

Write another thought if it's going to be meaningless. :thumbd:

Jost is just god awful on faceoffs though.

He was fantomenal on faceoffs in college...it's going to take some time but with some practice and experience he'll improve.

If the Avs sign Lee...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Kerfoot
Lee - Jost - Rantanen

I don’t like Kerfoot on the first line but we all know it’s coming. :ipeace

I think Kerfoot is getting moved.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I read that and was like ????? Seems like he wanted to write about all the cap space that the Avs had but doesn't have any info whatsoever on what they are going to do with it - so he decided to say that they'd be out on everything. (unlikely)

Write another thought if it's going to be meaningless. :thumbd:

He was fantomenal on faceoffs in college...it's going to take some time but with some practice and experience he'll improve.

I think Kerfoot is getting moved.

I'd like that, but who then will we over pay so that we can reach the cap floor?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yeah most young players suck at faceoffs their first couple years. Faceoffs have a lot to do with work ethic, because you just need to drill the shit out of them, and not everyone wants to put in the time. They'd rather focus on other skills.

Jost is a guy who I expect has the work ethic to focus on faceoffs because this is a big part of a two way center's role, and that's the role he wants to play. Hopefully he works on it this summer and in camp, and gets his percentage closer to 50%.

Another aspect of this along with the 3 on 3, is that I don't think Bednar spends a lot of time practicing faceoffs . Most everyone on the team is bad at faceoffs and the 3 on 3. I think Bednar just prefers to focus on drilling his 5 on 5 system because he wants it to be second nature.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah most young players suck at faceoffs their first couple years. Faceoffs have a lot to do with work ethic, because you just need to drill the **** out of them, and not everyone wants to put in the time. They'd rather focus on other skills.

Jost is a guy who I expect has the work ethic to focus on faceoffs because this is a big part of a two way center's role, and that's the role he wants to play. Hopefully he works on it this summer and in camp, and gets his percentage closer to 50%.

Another aspect of this along with the 3 on 3, is that I don't think Bednar spends a lot of time practicing faceoffs . Most everyone on the team is bad at faceoffs and the 3 on 3. I think Bednar just prefers to focus on drilling his 5 on 5 system because he wants it to be second nature.

This is complete conspiracy theory on my part, but I personally noticed a pattern where we played like shit in games we actually did well in the dot. It was weird, but my theory is we are a better counter attack team. Especially since we are a team that scores off the rush a majority of the time. Starting out with the puck seemed to actually hurt their game plan at times.

Twilight zone, and I have nothing to back that up.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean...they at least went from 31 to 26 this year in FO%, that's not a huge leap but it's something at least.

What I want to know is how in hell did Washington plummet from middle-of-the-pack last season to dead last this year? Was the loss of Jay Beagle that detrimental to their prowess at the dot? It's not like he had a profound effect on Vancouver's ability, they actually went from 18th to 19th.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I know I'm in the minority but I would give Zucc 5 years

I’d obviously try to get him for 3-4 years, but if the option is giving him 5 years or playing kerfoot on the top line for 1 more second, I’m giving Zucc what he wants.

There’s no point in saving cap for 4 years from now when MacK’s deal is up if you don’t show him you’re willing to do what it takes to win a cup between now and then.

Also, there’s probably going to be some sort of special buyout included with the next CBA. Absolute worst case scenario, if Zucc falls off, you can use that buyout.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If Pierre's talent evaluation is as good as his ability to dodge incoming pucks then Jost will indeed destroy the league next season.

upload_2019-6-27_18-39-21.jpeg

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
If Zucc is the only guy you can get I don't think it's a disaster to give him 5. It's am under 35 contract worst case scenario. Obviously you'd rather be giving 5 to a younger guy but you've gotta roll with the punches.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I gotta be honest...it’s extremely disconcerting that we came into this offseason with our biggest hole being at center, and not only have we not addressed that, we made the situation worse by trading away Soda.

I of course still have faith in Joe, but I’m just not sure what we’re waiting for since there’s no centers on the market.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I gotta be honest...it’s extremely disconcerting that we came into this offseason with our biggest hole being at center, and not only have we not addressed that, we made the situation worse by trading away Soda.

I of course still have faith in Joe, but I’m just not sure what we’re waiting for since there’s no centers on the market.

I honestly think the RFA debacles along with the lower-than-expected cap has everyone's hands tied. SOMEONE has to finally sign eventually, that'll be the watershed event. You'll see everything else fall into place quickly after that. But I think all eyes are on Toronto, because Marner is trying to reset the market, and I don't think Toronto is budging.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I think we are going to be in decent shape going forward if one of the young guys (Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, wild card Kamenev) takes the next step and breeches 50+ points, with a supplemental UFA or two of course... Uh oh, think I'm starting to sound like Joe...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I honestly think the RFA debacles along with the lower-than-expected cap has everyone's hands tied. SOMEONE has to finally sign eventually, that'll be the watershed event. You'll see everything else fall into place quickly after that. But I think all eyes are on Toronto, because Marner is trying to reset the market, and I don't think Toronto is budging.

People said they wouldn’t budge for Nylander... wouldn’t budge for Matthews... they will fold like a cheap tent soon enough.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If Sakic intends to be a big player on July 1st he has to be willing to sign risky contracts, otherwise you are not getting anyone good.

I think he knows full well any contract he does is going to come with risk. A four-year deal for someone as old as Zuccarello is risky. But five is not risky, it's downright stupid, it's almost assuredly going to end in a buyout or LTIR. I don't necessarily blame Joe and the Avs for not wanting to play that idiotic game. I wish other teams could somehow demonstrate some restraint when it comes to these deals. Obviously a team like Philly can't even come close after actually being sensible the last few years.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Sometimes things take a while. It would be nice to have it figured out by now, but whatever. If August 1st roles around without any real improvements, I'll join you.

Reactions: MarkT

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think he knows full well any contract he does is going to come with risk. A four-year deal for someone as old as Zuccarello is risky. But five is not risky, it's downright stupid, it's almost assuredly going to end in a buyout or LTIR. I don't necessarily blame Joe and the Avs for not wanting to play that idiotic game. I wish other teams could somehow demonstrate some restraint when it comes to these deals. Obviously a team like Philly can't even come close after actually being sensible the last few years.
I don't want any bad contracts either. However, the Avs are not going to magically improve and take the next step. If they want legit top 6 UFA forwards then it will probably mean signing a bad looking contract.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't want any bad contracts either. However, the Avs are not going to magically improve and take the next step. If they want legit top 6 UFA forwards then it will probably mean signing a bad looking contract.

PAP's contract actually looked pretty good at first. I feel like destiny is taking us in that direction again. Lets just hope its closer to PAP than the Iginla contract.

That is one of those statements that makes sense as I'm typing it, but re-reading it I'm not even sure I understand my own logic.. o_O

Reactions: Y3TI and shadow1

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

The majority of high end UFA contracts eventually turn sour anyway. So, it's really hard to avoid. You just hope to be able to get enough value at the start.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
PAP's contract actually looked pretty good at first. I feel like destiny is taking us in that direction again. Lets just hope its closer to PAP than the Iginla contract.
I don't think PAP ever was a that good tbh, he was a bad team scorer. Doubt any team was willing to hand him a big contract.

The Avs look like they are going after the top names and many of those get overpayed + receive too much term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad