Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVII | Everyone is pessimistically optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
We shouldn't be trading the 1st round pick anyway. Too much value slips down the board lately. So many teams with preference and system fits over pure talent.

Agreed. It would be less than ideal, since we wouldn’t be picking until the 4th round.

But, I also don’t want to give up Kaut, or someone like that to get the guys suggested, so it could be tough.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The issue with the Burakovsky trade is I think it will make Joe a little less likely to trade his first round pick. Which, is going to make it more difficult to get a trade like this done.
Not having a 2020 2nd or 3rd shouldn't mean that Sakic avoids using the 2020 1st to add quality 2nd line players if a reasonable opportunity becomes available. That's particularly true given how many good young players are already in the system in Newhook/Bowers/Kaut at forward and Byram/Timmins/Meloche/Hellesson in defence (along with numerous long-shots).

Besides, there will most likely also be several teams in need of shedding cap after signing a few free agents, so using extra capspace to get picks back shouldn't be too hard.

For example, eating Reimer's $3.4m for two seasons (which would come off the books at the same time as Calvert and Cole the summer when Landeskog needs to be extended) would be an excellent way to use the capspace (while adding a veteran No.3 goaltender to the roster/AHL). Taking Reimer off their hands would surely gather at least a 2nd + 3rd (if not a 2020 1st due to it being 2 years and not 1 year like Marleau), but either way it probably needs to wait until after Bob/Panarin sign with Florida and puts them over the cap ceiling.

.... Then proceed to use those 'Reimer picks' to go get Johnson/Palat/Point. #Capspace

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Not having a 2020 2nd or 3rd shouldn't mean that Sakic avoids using the 2020 1st to add quality 2nd line players if a reasonable opportunity becomes available. That's particularly true given how many good young players are already in the system in Newhook/Bowers/Kaut at forward and Byram/Timmins/Meloche/Hellesson in defence (along with numerous long-shots).

Besides, there will most likely also be several teams in need of shedding cap after signing a few free agents, so using extra capspace to get picks back shouldn't be too hard.

For example, eating Reimer's $3.4m for two seasons (which would come off the books at the same time as Calvert and Cole the summer when Landeskog needs to be extended) would be an excellent way to use the capspace. Taking Reimer off their hands would surely gather at least a 2nd + 3rd (if not a 2020 1st due to it being 2 years and not 1 year like Marleau), but either way it probably needs to wait until after Bob/Panarin sign with Florida and puts them over the cap ceiling.

.... Then proceed to use those 'Reimer picks' to go get Johnson/Palat/Point. #Capspace

I want Hoffman if they get into cap trouble.

We’ll see if Joe needs to make more trades after July 1. I’m pumped I have Monday off work, first free agent frenzy I’ll be able to watch in a while.

Reactions: Richard88

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Agreed. It would be less than ideal, since we wouldn’t be picking until the 4th round.

But, I also don’t want to give up Kaut, or someone like that to get the guys suggested, so it could be tough.

It really depends upon what the goal is. If it's all in and win this year then I can see them giving it up. But that's not Sakic's style.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

After begging Kessel to waive his NTC, the Wild are now begging old man Pavelski to visit them and consider signing. I don't care what the Avs are doing and how much doom and gloom there is here, I always have time to laugh at the Wild. :laugh:

Lmao Pavelski probably trying to be as nice as possible telling Minnesota to **** right off.

Minnesota players trying to sway him? Sway him with what? Cup potential? FOH. Go trade Jason Zucker for the 3rd time.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
" Hey Artemi, it's Joe Sakic. We'd be very interested in you joining our club, have you considered coming here? "
"What are you offering?"
"Money."
"How much?"
"..Money. And mountains."
Don't forget we have seas.... Seas of green dope and mushrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad