Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVII | Everyone is pessimistically optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
I'd rather they not dramatically overpay anyone.

If you're gonna overpay, limit the term. I don't see why more teams aren't doing this, it won't force a market correction.

It would be ideal obviously, but I've pretty much come to terms with getting any of the top guys on July 1 means overpaying in term or money. GMs go nuts with the prospect of a "free" addition, and if they flop then the year 6 or 7 is part of the next GM's problem anyway.

At least Lee would have a chance at a big impact in an area we struggled in, Ferland (and especially Dzingel) are not a huge step above the 2nd line guys we have already.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'd rather they not dramatically overpay anyone.

If you're gonna overpay, limit the term. I don't see why more teams aren't doing this, it won't force a market correction.

Because players want term. It always allows them to manipulate the cap hit a bit so term works out for both sides.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
GM's can't help themselves on July 1st. It's both asinine and amazing to witness at the same time.

They will happily hand out both long-term and big money contracts for average to above-average players, and then wonder why they're having to make moves to clear cap space down the line.

If Mats Zuccarello is seriously looking for 5 years, I'll gladly stay away.

This team needs to get better, yes - but not at the cost of being utterly idiotic. July 1st is not the day you win the Stanley Cup.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Zucs can ask for 5 years all he wants but it sounds like Avs and Stars aren’t going to give him that.

Then someone else will. It’s the name of the game, the players have all the power in UFA

People are also going to complain about what Sakic does either way. He overpays to get a 2nd line and it was the wrong move, Sakic doesn’t get anyone notable and he’s not trying to take advantage of this 4 year window and screwing up the teams chances to compete. No one will be happy either way.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Because players want term. It always allows them to manipulate the cap hit a bit so term works out for both sides.

I know, that's why I'd like for a team to go the other way and give high AAV, short term. It worked for Stastny and St. Louis. You get the same money without the added headache that comes with extra term.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pierre believes in our 2C......

tenor.gif

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know, that's why I'd like for a team to go the other way and give high AAV, short term. It worked for Stastny and St. Louis. You get the same money without the added headache that comes with extra term.

Right but most teams want cap gymnastics. There is really no reason to sign a older player beyond 5 years but teams will do it to lower the hit and allow them to bring in other players until the term backfires on them.

It's like NFL teams that push cap hits back to the end of the contract and cause cap hell for themselves.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Jost did look strong at the end of the year. If the Avs plan is to give him another shot as the 2C, I can stomach it provided he is flanked to two legitimate top-6 wingers.

That's the thing, If Sakic is gonna give him more of an opportunity next year he has to give him better line mates. Otherwise he's not really giving him an opportunity to succeed.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Didn't he predict it would be Tampa Bay and Colorado, not Pittsburgh?

I could have sworn during our home game vs Tampa that's all he was going on about.

You might be right, but I was remembering him going off about the Pit/Avs game. As well as the MacK/Crosby match up.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Then someone else will. It’s the name of the game, the players have all the power in UFA

People are also going to complain about what Sakic does either way. He overpays to get a 2nd line and it was the wrong move, Sakic doesn’t get anyone notable and he’s not trying to take advantage of this 4 year window and screwing up the teams chances to compete. No one will be happy either way.

I know I'm in the minority but I would give Zucc 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad