Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVII | Everyone is pessimistically optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Apologies, I meant to say in a bottom 6 role where Yeti should be playing in in the first place. Ryan is a very solid player.

You lot are going to hate it, but if you want to help our centre woes then Tyson Barrie is the piece who's going to fix that issue...

Yeah, the pair of 2nd round picks we'll get for Tyson are not just our best chance, but our only chance of solving the 2C for Rebuild 3.0 :sarcasm:

Reactions: CobraAcesS and Y3TI

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Avs make 3 trades in one week
Are linked to Panarin, Lee, Nyquist, Dzingle, Donskoi, Carpenter, maybe Ferland, and some random goalie dude

MixedPerfectGrebe-size_restricted.gif
Yes it’s the most action we’ve seen in years

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
sakic is dumb it's June 29th and we still don't have a cup contending team through offseason deals alone. Wtf is he thinking. We are definitely going to walk out of free agency with John scott as our 2C and Patrik Stefan on Left D. So choked. Why would we give up Soderberg just to sign Scott. Ffs man. Classic Joe...

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Would not mind a Barrie trade if that guaranteed a high-end 2C or a 60-70 points winger in his prime, but looking at the returns of puck moving defensemen in the last few weeks tells me that we might not even be able to get a second line forward for Barrie.

Subban's 9 million cap hit is the reason for his return. Colin Miller was a healthy scratch for Vegas, and everyone knew they needed to shed salary, so that explains his return. Barrie meanwhile is on a reasonable deal for this season and many people here will tell you he's a top pair defenseman. Were there other deals you were thinking of as comparable to a potential Barrie deal?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Top 4 RHD's this summer:

Trouba: traded for peanuts
Subban: traded for peanuts
Risto: apparently requested a trade. Still under contract for 3 years at 5.4M per
Letang: Is reportedly available. Pittsburgh is listening
Barrie: With 1 year left and so many sellers, he's not going to bring back a lot

At this point we might as well use Barrie as our own rental if we're not going to re-sign him anyway.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, the pair of 2nd round picks we'll get for Tyson are not just our best chance, but our only chance of solving the 2C for Rebuild 3.0 :sarcasm:
Well, LeBrun mentioned that Jets sold low on Trouba when there were better offers on the table to keep him as far away as possible. Just because Cheveldayoff is an idiot doesn't mean Sakic would sell him for a couple of 2nd rounders. He would probably wait until he got a fair return like he did with Duchene. Now, that doesn't mean we need to trade him in the first place, but since Hayes is gone there absolutely zero centres on the market. Anyone we're going to get probably needs to be via a trade.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Subban's 9 million cap hit is the reason for his return. Colin Miller was a healthy scratch for Vegas, and everyone knew they needed to shed salary, so that explains his return. Barrie meanwhile is on a reasonable deal for this season and many people here will tell you he's a top pair defenseman.

Barrie will also cost 9M$ starting next year, I'd say, and for longer term probably. And if that team isn't ready to give him that, he's likely just a rental, so his value isn't higher based on contract at all.

Miller is a lesser player for sure, but the return still wasn't great for a top 4 guy.

Trouba's return is average.

You can give reasons for why all of these guys got average returns, but there are also reasons why Barrie wouldn't get a great return. He's a UFA in one year and likely asking the moon, he's a small defender that does not defend very well too. Maybe we can get a 2C, but I'm not too optimistic about it given the current moves that were made.

Reactions: Foxtail

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well, LeBrun mentioned that Jets sold low on Trouba when there were better offers on the table to keep him as far away as possible. Just because Cheveldayoff is an idiot doesn't mean Sakic would sell him for a couple of 2nd rounders. He would probably wait until he got a fair return like he did with Duchene. Now, that doesn't mean we need to trade him in the first place, but since Hayes is gone there absolutely zero centres on the market. Anyone we're going to get probably needs to be via a trade.
If I were you I'd lower my expectations on a Barrie return. Then lower them again. And then lower them once more.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Top 4 RHD's this summer:

Risto: apparently requested a trade. Still under contract for 3 years at 5.4M per
Barrie: With 1 year left and so many sellers, he's not going to bring back a lot

At this point we might as well use Barrie as our own rental if we're not going to re-sign him anyway.
Using him as a rental would definitely be a trade deadline decision. Some teams that feel they're only one step away could still pay big. But it is starting to look grim on getting anything good for Barrie.

Reactions: Foxtail

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Top 4 RHD's this summer:

Trouba: Again, the Jets disregarded better offers on the table to purposely sell low on him to put him on a team they wanted.

Subban: Predators gave up value so they can simply get rid of his contract before July 1st. They sold low on him as well.

Risto: Will bring back a solid return, but because he asked for a trade that should hurt some of his value.

Letang: Has had multiple injuries which should diminish his trade value.

I don't see how Barrie fits in with this group, two are purposely sold low, one might've asked for a trade, and the last is one with a ton of toll on his body. Avs have so much cap space we don't need to give him away for peanuts, if the market isn't there then keep him. I just don't think he is as low as you lot think he is.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Again with the Trouba and PK crap. Trouba wanted to be traded to one team. Preds wanted to get rid of PK and it was a moronic trade. Miller who is a 3rd piring D returned a return comparable to PKs. Nucks traded a potential lottery pick for JT Miller. But woe is us and Barrie will return junk because reasons.

It’s like every situation is different, crazy right?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Again with the Trouba and PK crap. Trouba wanted to be traded to one team. Preds wanted to get rid of PK and it was a moronic trade. Miller who is a 3rd piring D returned a return comparable to PKs. Nucks traded a potential lottery pick for JT Miller. But woe is us and Barrie will return junk because reasons.

It’s like every situation is different, crazy right?
OR:
Any team that can have Barrie for one year could have had Trouba for one year.
AND:
Any team that don't want to pay 9M for Subban probably won't want to re-up Barrie for what Newport is asking for.

Barrie comes with his own limits as well: Pending UFA with the most team hostile agent in the business.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
OR:
Any team that can have Barrie for one year could have had Trouba for one year.
AND:
Any team that don't want to pay 9M for Subban probably won't want to re-up Barrie for what Newport is asking for.

Barrie comes with his own limits as well: Pending UFA with the most team hostile agent in the business.
Or you are spinning up narratives based on isolated incidents. Jets reportedly had better offers on the table. Teams will be able to add Barrie for more than one year as was the case with Trouba. As for PK, it’s no secret I think Poile is a moron when it comes to trading. The return they got is inexcusable and it was trading someone for the sake of getting cap space completely punting the value that players carries. I hope they miss out on Duchene and overpay someone far worse than PK.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
I believe in Sakic, sign Lee 6 For 7M and Zucc 5 For 7M. Trade Kerfoot For a pick.
Lee-Jost-Zucc
Bura-Compher-Calvert
Nieto-Kamenev-Greer

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Or you are spinning up narratives based on isolated incidents. Jets reportedly had better offers on the table. Teams will be able to add Barrie for more than one year as was the case with Trouba. As for PK, it’s no secret I think Poile is a moron when it comes to trading. The return they got is inexcusable and it was trading someone for the sake of getting cap space completely punting the value that players carries. I hope they miss out on Duchene and overpay someone far worse than PK.

So the other GM's got bad returns because they are idiots. Thankfully our GM isn't an idiot and makes good trades so no worry. Gotcha.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I actually wouldn't mind it personally. If we can't have a good real second line, at least having two good middle 6 lines would give some secondary scoring to the team. And those guys might not need deals with a lot of term, which would be a + as well. Not ideal but hey...

A middle 6 of :

Dzingel - Jost - Donskoi
Burakovsky - Kerfoot - Compher

isn't actually bad. Some nights the 2nd line can give secondary scoring and other nights it's the 3rd line... I'd live with it.
Based on the Caps GM press conference it seems highly likely that Burakovsky will be on the 2nd line, or at least play 2nd line minutes.

That said, lineup looks decent. Not an ideal 2nd line, but good depth as it would push the right players down. and have a 4th line of Nieto - Kamenev - Calvert, with Greer kept as 13th forward and first call-ups of Bowers and Kaut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad