Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXVII | Everyone is pessimistically optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It has definitely been a bizarre start to the summer. This is the only way I can make sense of it.

First it sounds like Burakovsky won’t be given a QO, and then all of a sudden Joe forks over a pretty high price for 30 point forward.

From the Washington post:

Hard to know if the Caps GM genuinely didn’t want to trade Burakovsky, or he played it perfectly and Sakic fell hook, line, and sinker for a player Washington was never going to keep anyways. Regardless, it seems they weren’t ready to give him away.

And before that obviously no one understood the Soderberg trade. The only thing I can think of is while he did have 49 points last season, he had 51 points in the previous 157 games he played in. He also looked terrible in the playoffs, and has put up 4 points in 18 playoff games while in Colorado. Perhaps with Soderberg getting older and being unsure of how his production carries forward, he became the prime target to gain an asset needed to move on Burakovsky.

The short story right now is the Avs have traded:

2nd round pick, Carl Soderberg, for Burakovsky and Connauton.

The Avs get 10 years younger in the trade up front, gain a little more cap space, but -24 points of production and lose a center. The hope here being their production going forward looks like a wash, but now Compher and Jost can play their natural positions, and the Avs have another skilled winger. A position Soderberg could not play.

It is not a great start to the off-season, but this is the justification that I can see, that will hopefully only make more sense after July 1st.

Nothing against you, but I'm going to reply every time I see this. Burakovsky was not traded for Soderberg. He is not replacing Soderberg in the lineup, and his acquisition shouldn't be seen as in any way related to Soderberg being traded other than we used that 3rd rounder to get Burky. Burakovsky is replacing Wilson, who was out 2nd line winger much of last season. If you want to compare him to someone, compare him to the player whose role he's taking. If you want to talk about what we're losing in Soderberg, compare him to his replacement, namely one of Jost, Kerfoot, Compher or Kamenev.

And hey, look at that: the last two seasons Wilson scored at a rate of 0.32 and 0.42 ppg. Burakovsky produced at a rate of 0.45 and 0.33. So in terms of offense, it looks as though we've just acquired a younger version of Wilson.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
So, um... I think we have the D covered.

Barrie
Girard
Makar
Johnson (injured to start season, IR)
Zadorov (RFA)
Cole (injured to start season, IR)
Connauton
Barberio
Graves (RFA)
Lindholm (RFA)
Alt
MacDonald
Meloche
Timmins
Anderson
Boikov (RFA)

That doesn’t even include Byram who will likely get his 9 games at the start of the season.

Avs/Eagles have their D covered, IMO.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Don’t worry guys, Sakic’s going to sign Nichushkin for the 2nd line. High potential upside, big, fast guy.

Bura-Jost-Nich

Y’all ready for the best 2nd line in the league?

I heard Dano wasn't getting qualified, maybe we slot him in for Jost..

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
giphy.gif

If this becomes reality i don't see us making the Playoffs. Good thing that we still have our first. For now ...
I really hope I'm wrong but they got Burakovsky who told the Caps he wants to be traded because he wants to play on top 6, so obviously Sakic promised him top 6 spot. Sakic also said he's planning on giving more important role to Jost and other young players on the team that means Jost should be the 2nd line C, and Kerfoot played on top 6 all year. Unless there is a big trade like a Barrie which is unlikely specially with EJ and Cole injuries, I really dont see anything big happening for the Avs.

Again, I really hope that's not the case and if so Jost better be ready to put up a 50 point season and Burakovsky at least 40

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
So, um... I think we have the D covered.

Barrie
Girard
Makar
Johnson (injured to start season, IR)
Zadorov (RFA)
Cole (injured to start season, IR)
Connauton
Barberio
Graves (RFA)
Lindholm (RFA)
Alt
MacDonald
Meloche
Timmins
Anderson
Boikov (RFA)

That doesn’t even include Byram who will likely get his 9 games at the start of the season.

Avs/Eagles have their D covered, IMO.

10 AHLs make up for the loss of Barrie :badidea:. Quantity > Quality i guess. :damnpc:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I still think we end up grabbing Dzingel and maybe Donskoi. Not ideal but at least better than what we have right now.

I actually wouldn't mind it personally. If we can't have a good real second line, at least having two good middle 6 lines would give some secondary scoring to the team. And those guys might not need deals with a lot of term, which would be a + as well. Not ideal but hey...

A middle 6 of :

Dzingel - Jost - Donskoi
Burakovsky - Kerfoot - Compher

isn't actually bad. Some nights the 2nd line can give secondary scoring and other nights it's the 3rd line... I'd live with it.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I really hope I'm wrong but they got Burakovsky who told the Caps he wants to be traded because he wants to play on top 6, so obviously Sakic promised him top 6 spot. Sakic also said he's planning on giving more important role to Jost and other young players on the team that means Jost should be the 2nd line C, and Kerfoot played on top 6 all year. Unless there is a big trade like a Barrie which is unlikely specially with EJ and Cole injuries, I really dont see anything big happening for the Avs.

Again, I really hope that's not the case and if so Jost better be ready to put up a 50 point season and Burakovsky at least 40
I'm still confident that Sakic isn't a complete idiot and gets us the Top6 forward we so desperately need. If not, well then it's time to lose our sh!t and

giphy.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS and 5280

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I actually wouldn't mind it personally. If we can't have a good real second line, at least having two good middle 6 lines would give some secondary scoring to the team. And those guys might not need deals with a lot of term, which would be a + as well. Not ideal but hey...

A middle 6 of :

Dzingel - Jost - Donskoi
Burakovsky - Kerfoot - Compher

isn't actually bad. Some nights the 2nd line can give secondary scoring and other nights it's the 3rd line... I'd live with it.

And it pushes down some guys like Calvert and Nieto to the fourth line. They can stay fresher to be on the PK and win the fourth line matchup. If there are injuries you know they can play more minutes.

And there will be injuries over a full season and into the playoffs.

Reactions: Richard88

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
We could create a pool or fantasy draft. You'd get points for every time someone says "I'm done with this team" or types in all caps :laugh:
Be my guest. I will be busy with either celebrating or with feeling sorry for myself :)

Btw, only 48ish hours and we'll (most likely) know is this team is really contending this year or if they bubble through the West once again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I almost want this to happen just to see who has the biggest meltdown.

Some of us would rather watch the team succeed than be right ;)

...like it would be undeniably hilarious in 2023 when all of the "10 year window" people were confused by why we had to retool despite never having won a cup, but I would hate getting to laugh at them for that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and Y3TI

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Some of us would rather watch the team succeed than be right ;)

...like it would be undeniably hilarious in 2023 when all of the "10 year window" people were confused by why we had to retool despite never having won a cup, but I would hate getting to laugh at them for that.

Did you honestly interpret my comment as serious?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We are in for a long, long season if Ryan Carpenter was to become our 3rd line centre.
Apologies, I meant to say in a bottom 6 role where Yeti should be playing in in the first place. Ryan is a very solid player.

You lot are going to hate it, but if you want to help our centre woes then Tyson Barrie is the piece who's going to fix that issue...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Apologies, I meant to say in a bottom 6 role where Yeti should be playing in in the first place. Ryan is a very solid player.

You lot are going to hate it, but if you want to help our centre woes then Tyson Barrie is the piece who's going to fix that issue...
Not with Risto on the market. Too many sellers for high end RHD's.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Would not mind a Barrie trade if that guaranteed a high-end 2C or a 60-70 points winger in his prime, but looking at the returns of puck moving defensemen in the last few weeks tells me that we might not even be able to get a second line forward for Barrie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad