Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXIII|Two Weeks Away from the 19-20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I personally don’t really blame Sakic or the current management for anything they did while Roy was still here. His philosophy and the philosophy of management was so different from what is going on now, IMO. In fact, I think the biggest mistake Sakic had made yet was bringing in Roy in the first place.

About Barrie -I think we just have different opinions as to how much he is worth, and maybe how much it will be to get him signed. I just don’t value him as much and don’t think I will want to pay him what he’s going to command. That’s ok, and my voice is not the end all be all, but that is probably where are opinions are going to differ.

That's not fair to Roy. Sakic had veto power on anything and final word. He should be blamed for everything, same as Roy.

Reactions: cgf

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Hard to see the Canucks giving us what we want when Trouba who is more or less in the same contract situation (one year till UFA) only got the #20 and a depth player. And Faulk is also on the market for offensive RHD in their prime.

Just gotta hope Benning has a complete and utter hard on for Tyson. Otherwise I can see talks fizzling fast and reports coming out that the Canucks wouldn’t match Sakic’s evaluation.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don’t think there is any chance for Horvat unless a Cap Dump is involved ie Ericksson or Sutter.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If a deal like Barrie + 4 for Horvat + 10 actually happened.. we'd definitely have to take a D at 10. Going from our current D + potentially Byram to our current D minus Barrie doesn't have me as happy.
No there's no D that's worth a top 10 pick outside of Byram. The point of doing that trade would be that you're hoping that one of the top forward falls to 10.

At 16 OK, you can pick one of the dman.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Duchene, ROR, Barrie, this would be the end of one of the best draft classes this franchise has had and should've been the catalyst for our rebuild v1 if we didn't mess it up so badly.

I'm not opposed to the idea of trading him because of the potential assest we gain but I think hes a good locker room guy and clearly one of Mackinnons good friends. The return must be substantial.

Players understand it's a business and if it leads to winning that solves a lot of issues.

Look at the Raptors. Derozen was Lowry's best friend. He wasn't too thrilled about the trade for Kawhi Leonard when it happened, but he played hard throughout the regular season and hugged management after winning a title.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Something around Barrie+pick for Horvat.

Than we trade for Faulk to be his replacement. A weird gut feeling I have.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I wouldn't do the Horvat+10 for Barrie+4. If you're looking at it right now, Barrie's probably a more impactful player, for his position, than Horvat. If you look at it from a futures perspective, I think the 4th has a good if not great chance at being as good as Horvat. Don't think the 10th will become as good as Barrie is.

If they want to do Barrie+Kerfoot/16th for Horvat+something I'd be down.
I think in a vacuum Horvat and Barrie are very similar impacts at their position, and I think you're either overrating the 4th overall or under rating Horvat if you expect them to turn into a better player. Considering contract situations we need to give up more and the real way to look at it is: is there a huge difference in forwards from #4 to #10? I'm not so sure. If we can snag Pod or Krebs at 10 that's a great deal.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
That's not fair to Roy. Sakic had veto power on anything and final word. He should be blamed for everything, same as Roy.

Yeah but it was more a partnership that’s anything, especially with the role Roy wanted of having a lot of say on the personnel decisions. I think in the end Joe started using his veto power and that is why Roy eventually left. They had a difference in philosophies and Roy said this won’t work for me and said vaya con dios.

Last edited:

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Barrie is from BC though and they have a ton of cap space, and they really want a RD so I could see them taking a swing for him and him signing.....

Reactions: Avs_19

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No need for Barrie in Montreal.

That said, Barrie's value must be quite low. Trouba's value was shit and there are many high end RHD reportedly on the market (Subban, Letang...) and mid-range ones too (Faulk, Myers). Buyers market.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
In all honesty, ive thought a barrie trade was the best move for awhile now but that horrible return on trouba is really making me second guess it

Reactions: katfude

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I’m ready for the regression.

I can feel it in my bones.

Here goes a 60 point defenceman for futures and the 8th seed in the West will struggle to replicate that standing.

Makar will outproduce Barrie next season if he's traded. Book it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think in a vacuum Horvat and Barrie are very similar impacts at their position, and I think you're either overrating the 4th overall or under rating Horvat if you expect them to turn into a better player. Considering contract situations we need to give up more and the real way to look at it is: is there a huge difference in forwards from #4 to #10? I'm not so sure. If we can snag Pod or Krebs at 10 that's a great deal.

4th Overalls:
2018: Brady Tkachuk
2017: Cale Makar
2016: Jesse Puljujarvi
2015: Mitch Marner
2014: Sam Bennett
2013: Seth Jones
2012: Griffin Reinhart
2011: Adam Larsson
2010: Ryan Johansen
2009: Evander Kane

Went back 10 years. I'd say Tkachuk and Makar should be on track to be better than Horvat. Marner and Jones are outright better. Johansen and Kane are arguably on the same tier as Horvat projects to be. So that leaves Puljujarvi, Bennett, Reinhart and Larsson as busts.

6/10, not bad. I'll take it.

At the same time, 10th Overalls:
2018: Evan Bouchard
2017: Owen Tippett
2016: Tyson Jost
2015: Mikko Rantanen
2014: Nick Ritchie
2013: Valeri Nichushkin
2012: Slater Koekkoek
2011: Jonas Brodin
2010: Dylan McIlrath
2009: Magnus Paajarvi

Doesn't nearly look as good.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Sakic moves Barrie it's not because he dislikes Barrie. It's because he's talked to Barries agent and it's not making sense paying him what it would take.

It's not like Newport has missed Skinner making $9M/year and Hayes $7.14M/year. These are strange days.

Reactions: Foppa2118 and 5280

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No wonder the word has gotten out with the Canucks reportedly being all hot and heavy for Barrie. They're like the opposite of the Avs when it comes to keeping a lid on things. Everyone always knows exactly who their targets are well in advance.

Reactions: Balthazar
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
No need for Barrie in Montreal.

That said, Barrie's value must be quite low. Trouba's value was **** and there are many high end RHD reportedly on the market (Subban, Letang...) and mid-range ones too (Faulk, Myers). Buyers market.

Trouba's value was artificially tanked with his apparently very high contract demands, as well as his unwillingness to play/re-sign in certain areas. It's like Adam Fox, guy basically said he was going to play in one place, and one place only.

I don't that trade was indicative of Trouba's true value.

Reactions: 5280

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Yikes.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Trouba's value was artificially tanked with his apparently very high contract demands, as well as his unwillingness to play/re-sign in certain areas. It's like Adam Fox, guy basically said he was going to play in one place, and one place only.

I don't that trade was indicative of Trouba's true value.

Agreed. And Barrie would be going back to Vancouver which is a stones throw away from his home town.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
4th Overalls:
2018: Brady Tkachuk
2017: Cale Makar
2016: Jesse Puljujarvi
2015: Mitch Marner
2014: Sam Bennett
2013: Seth Jones
2012: Griffin Reinhart
2011: Adam Larsson
2010: Ryan Johansen
2009: Evander Kane

Went back 10 years. I'd say Tkachuk and Makar should be on track to be better than Horvat. Marner and Jones are outright better. Johansen and Kane are arguably on the same tier as Horvat projects to be. So that leaves Puljujarvi, Bennett, Reinhart and Larsson as busts.

6/10, not bad. I'll take it.

Marner Jones and Makar are the only 3 I'd take over Bo. Him and Johansen are pretty equal in my mind. So I count 4/10. To each their own. Bo himself was 10th Ov.

Again, you can't ignore the contract situations and expansion implications of a deal like this, and I just dont see a huge drop off in talent from 4 to 10 this year. Every draft is unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad