Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXIII|Two Weeks Away from the 19-20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Horvat would be an absolutely fantastic option for us though. He would fill in so smoothly behind Mack, and at just 5.5M for another 4 more years that would be so god damn cheap for probably a Top 3 Center combo in the league for the next 4 years.

...the more I think about it the more I want Horvat but man I'd want to do just about anything we can to avoid Barrie being involved.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This time of year is my favourite, hockey wise (unless we're in the playoffs of course). I'm such a trade junkie.

I just saw that tweet... Oh god.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think I would only do that if there is a plan to move pick 10 or 16 to get a top 6 F on a decent contract as well going forward.

I'd rather they use the picks. They'll get three very good prospects out of that first round...Knight may be one of them. All of them would be ready in 2-3 seasons. In the meantime, I think they can find what they need to be contenders in the short term via free agency until those players are ready. I don't think gearing up for contention this offseason has to be an all-or-nothing thing necessarily. Of course if they use those picks then the onus to improve via FA will be that much greater.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'd prefer to sign him as well... but it sadly is sounding like for some dumb reason the Avs have other plans.

Oh well, it's not that we trade great players for shitty return every few years. I can count only Ozo for the great Nolan Pratt and Vaclav Nedorast, Drury for nothing, Tangs for nothing, Radar for secondary pieces, or we flat out let them walk without getting a damn thing back like with Foppa, Blake, Foote, Paulie, Varlamov etc. Why go against the winning formula?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
As for Horvat, I love the kid, and there's no way they trade him to us for Barrie. You can't trade borderline 1st line center for a guy with one year of control, no matter how good he is. That is unless Joe lets them hammer out an extension first.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Oh well, it's not that we trade great players for ****ty return every few years. I can count only Ozo for the great Nolan Pratt and Vaclav Nedorast, Drury for nothing, Tangs for nothing, Radar for secondary pieces, or we flat out let them walk without getting a damn thing back like with Foppa, Blake, Foote, Paulie, Varlamov etc. Why go against the winning formula?
That’s a hell of a drum to beat since it’s 2019 and we have a completely different management group.

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
My preference is to not trade Barrie. You can see how he can elevate the team with his play when he turns it on. Look at March and April and he absolutely dialed in. Yes, he has his shortcomings and isn't that great defensively. That's why he's paired with a stay at home D so he can roam around and make plays. With the modern NHL, you need defensemen like Barrie to draw up the transitional plays. Having a mobile defenseman that also has offensive instincts on all three pairs will create havoc for any team we play against.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As for Horvat, I love the kid, and there's no way they trade him to us for Barrie. You can't trade borderline 1st line center for a guy with one year of control, no matter how good he is. That is unless Joe lets them hammer out an extension first.

If Joe is deadset on trading Barrie than you gotta let him talk extension to maximize his value. I think Barrie with team control has at least similar value to Horvat currently. But why would the nucks trade a elite 2C and future captain?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Barrie + 4th for Horvat + 10th. Too rich (I'm horrible with trade proposals)?

I think I'd prefer moving Barrie and 16 for Horvat if the Canucks would take it, but I would probably do that deal.

If that went through it would allow the Avs to take their time in developing the 10th overall pick because they would already have their 2C for the foreseeable future.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don’t see it either but I don’t think Barrie signing an extension in Vancouver will be an issue.

Reactions: Ivan13

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'd rather they use the picks. They'll get three very good prospects out of that first round...Knight may be one of them. All of them would be ready in 2-3 seasons. In the meantime, I think they can find what they need to be contenders in the short term via free agency until those players are ready. I don't think gearing up for contention this offseason has to be an all-or-nothing thing necessarily. Of course if they use those picks then the onus to improve via FA will be that much greater.
I think I’d be fine with them using the picks too, now that I think about it. When Mack gets paid it would be nice to have some good players on ELC’s.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It'd be tempting.. But it'd also be tempting to just keep and extend Barrie & take one of the centre prospects at #4.

If it happened I don't know how I'd feel honestly. I love Horvat though.

Avs would walk away with Horvat + 10th + 16th

Nucks get to make a splash on draft day in their own building, trading for a hometown kid and landing the 4th OA.

Honestly I'd do this pretty easily. Horvat + Cozens + Knight *passes out

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Only way I'd be okay with Barrie being traded is if it's to get ourselves a legit #2C. So if it were Horvat coming back... then I'd be okay with it. But push come to shove I'd rather keep T boobs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Oh well, it's not that we trade great players for ****ty return every few years. I can count only Ozo for the great Nolan Pratt and Vaclav Nedorast, Drury for nothing, Tangs for nothing, Radar for secondary pieces, or we flat out let them walk without getting a damn thing back like with Foppa, Blake, Foote, Paulie, Varlamov etc. Why go against the winning formula?

Yeah, its especially frustrating right now because we really do have a pretty direct path towards being a cup contender.

We have the best first line in hockey. The best prospect in hockey. A very good and very young Defense. A metric tonne of cap space. And Two first Round picks in the first 16 selections and 5 picks in the first 80.

Dont trade away out great players, add to them. Sign a quality free agent for the secondary scoring hole. And use one or two of those valuable futures pieces to get that other secondary scoring piece. And then just let the team play.

Instead we're gonna sell our best Dman on the team rather than paying him for the quality player he is, and its going to set us back another 2-3 years again waiting for Makar to maybe become that good down the road. And by that time it will be a rinse and repeat again with Landeskog/Mackinnon where I am sure at least one of them will leave to join a team that actually wants to win.

Unless a Barrie deal actually does involve Horvat or Boeser I dont see how this turns out as a good deal that pushes us closer to winning a cup.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That’s a hell of a drum to beat since it’s 2019 and we have a completely different management group.

It's half serious, but if this reports are true and they are indeed shopping him isn't this an indictment of this group as well? I mean this group traded Radar. Let McClemet walk for nothing. They let Stastny walk for free and now would be looking to trade their best D to fill the hole they created by destroying the center depth in two years.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Avs would walk away with Horvat + 10th + 16th

Nucks get to make a splash on draft day in their own building, trading for a hometown kid and landing the 4th OA.

Honestly I'd do this pretty easily. Horvat + Cozens + Knight *passes out
I think the only reason Sakic might entertain the idea of trading Barrie is if the reports about them only wanting a forward at #4 and he knows that Byram would be available. Otherwise, sign the Boobs, take a forward, and call it a day.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay

We would still have some trade chips if we strike out in Free Agency... it may be tough to eat Eriksson at 6 million AAV for another 3 years. He's really fallen off a cliff since his time in Boston, that 30 G version of Eriksson would be great to have on the wing in our top 6. By adding 3 kids that are ready in 2-3 years would essentially expand our window as then you have guys contributing to your NHL lineup that are on cheap 3 year ELC's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad