Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXIII|Two Weeks Away from the 19-20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
SJ matches a 6m per offersheet to Meier and thanks us for helping them lock him in at a nice price.

So what you're saying is that Tampa and Toronto will scoff at Point and Marner's demands and trade them to the Avs for nothing out of spite. Enraged at this disrespect they sign of the bare minimum to "stick it" to their old teams.

Avs roll with:

The 1st Line
It's all about Kerfoot
Soda's line
I guess Point and Marner go here.

Not quite, Toronto & Tampa will demand we pay the excruciating price of EJ & BDK for Marner & Point respectively.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHBREWER

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Sharks will regret Karlsson’s contract in years 5-8, just like we would regret years 3-4 of a Pavelski contract.

However, you need to determine if the reward is greater than the risk.

For Pavelski, I’m not going to a 3rd year, never mind this talk of a 4th year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
SJ matches a 6m per offersheet to Meier and thanks us for helping them lock him in at a nice price.

Not quite, Toronto & Tampa will demand we pay the excruciating price of EJ & BDK for Marner & Point respectively.

Yikes, not sure I'm willing to pay that price.

How can a line be All About Kerfoot if there is no Kerfoot? That eliminates our 2nd Line.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

I will fight you.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I will fight you.
Rdbe.gif

source.gif

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Sharks will regret Karlsson’s contract in years 5-8, just like we would regret years 3-4 of a Pavelski contract.

However, you need to determine if the reward is greater than the risk.

For Pavelski, I’m not going to a 3rd year, never mind this talk of a 4th year.
Yeah, you rather overpay by quite a bit on a 2 year deal, but with that you risk running up the price on your own FAs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That's a great contract for Karlsson and it turns out the most recent surgeries didn't hurt him. If the Sharks can win a cup in the next few years then it'll be more than worth it but I don't see how his contract doesn't get ugly for them.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Looks like it should be a more manageable buyout after the 22-23 season since the SB's go down by quite a bit on the remainder of the contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pure speculation on my part... Karlsson didn't want to chance not having as strong of market due to injuries so he secured the 8th year and San Jose didn't want to chance closing the window for the next few years. Who cares how bad it will be in 2024? Answer... nobody if they win a Cup in 2020 or 2021. :nod:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Unless injuries completely derail him I think the EK contract will be fine. Very rarely do we see franchise level players like him end up on bad contracts. The elite of the elite age pretty well

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d do a 3rd year for Pavelski but only if that drastically drops the AAV. No chance I’d do 4.

2 years 8.5AAV. An overpayment but keeps the term down.

Or

3 years at 5.75.

I’d be fine with either of those deals.

Usually an ultimatum like that is a waste of time since some team will always give him the money and term a guy wants but in this case I think he’d at least consider that 2 year 8.5M overpayment since he probably feels confident he’d get another 1-2 year contract following that one.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I’d do a 3rd year for Pavelski but only if that drastically drops the AAV. No chance I’d do 4.

2 years 8.5AAV. An overpayment but keeps the term down.

Or

3 years at 5.75.

I’d be fine with either of those deals.

Usually an ultimatum like that is a waste of time since some team will always give him the money and term a guy wants but in this case I think he’d at least consider that 2 year 8.5M overpayment since he probably feels confident he’d get another 1-2 year contract following that one.
I'd pay what it takes, as long as his deal expires when MacKinnon is due for his new 15M deal. We can afford it, and I don't see Pavelski falling off a cliff. This is not like the Iginla and Marleau deals for me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks like it should be a more manageable buyout after the 22-23 season since the SB's go down by quite a bit on the remainder of the contract.

It's pretty much buyout proof regardless of what year they do it. All these guys end up on LTIR anyways if things go sideways.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd pay what it takes, as long as his deal expires when MacKinnon is due for his new 15M deal. We can afford it, and I don't see Pavelski falling off a cliff. This is not like the Iginla and Marleau deals for me.
Mackinnon currently has the longest deal on the team. I know right now from the outside it gives us a false hope that we aren’t going to have cap problems going forward, but every single hockey player within the organization (as well as those who we add from outside) is due for a pay increase before Mackinnon’s next contract with the exception of those who we simply don’t re-up (Soderberg likely).

It’s nice knowing Mackinnon doesn’t double his money for another few years but let’s not be ignorant to the fact that guys like Landeskog, Makar, Barrie, Rantanen, Jost, Compher, Kaut, Zadorov and Grubauer will all be making more money before then.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Why not? That's exactly like them. These 2 were physical freaks and no one thought they'd fall this fast but they did because that's what the human body does in your mid 30's. Chara and Jagr are not the rule.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Unless they fall of a cliff so hard, that they can't even do that right... *glares over at Seabs*

Oh just wait. He's going to develop an allergy to helmets or mouthguards in 2-3 years to help out with the end of the contract.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Pavelski is going to fall of the aging cliff at some point... it is just a matter of time. On the bright side, it isn't a 35+ contract. On the downside he's 35 all next season... odds are high the aging cliff could happen. Playing with real fire on the 36 and 37 seasons if added in. I can't see him leaving San Jose, but still... any contract with him is a huge risk.

Reactions: cgf and Balthazar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh just wait. He's going to develop an allergy to helmets or mouthguards in 2-3 years to help out with the end of the contract.

I mean...it's not like he hasn't been trying to do that for 2-3 years already. Do you really think another 2-3 years of mandatory cuddle sessions with Hossa will get it done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad