Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXX|6'3" or You Don't Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
A flyers fans take on Hayes and I sort of maybe agree but Im not sure.
What if someone better becomes available and we cant afford them.

Or if in 3 years we have a 7m 3rd line C. I remember when we were scared of Sodas contract in the dark days.
No interest in Hayes for me , as ODog said at the trade deadline " his 14 goals aren't gonna intimidate any western conference teams in the playoffs" , and he was right. Hayes was terrible and ended up playing 3rd line and did nothing.

Don't see how his 14 goals for the money he wants making much difference here.

He can be lazy as well , not a Bednar type player , dont think Joe will make any desperate moves.

Reactions: milehigh11
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Paying 7 million dollars to an NHL 2nd line center when the cap is going to be around $83 million dollars is not a problem. Losing in game 7 of the 2nd round of the playoffs because you only have 1 contributing NHL forward line is a problem.

The Avs could draft Turcotte and in 2 years have Mackinnon, Hayes, Turcotte and I still would not be worried. Do you really want to rely on Soda and Jost if goodness forbid Mackinnon gets hurt?

With Hayes, he has also played wing before. If we do get Turcotte, you can always start Turcotte on Hayes' wing to get him comfortable, and then switch once Turcotte establishes himself.

Reactions: Hornstar

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The Avs would not be adding to Barrie to get RNH.

And that would be a horrible 1-for-1 trade shout it happen.

Every Barrie proposal in this post is...well, none of them are good.

The only reason the Avs may not have to add in such a trade is b/c RNH only has 2 years left on his deal. You might not like the proposals in here, but it’s reality.

I think you’re underestimating (1) how much of a hit a guy’s trade value takes in the last year of his deal who’s about to get paid and (2) how much Barrie’s defensive deficiencies affect his value.

Reactions: milehigh11

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Skinner looks to be a max term 9M AAV contract.

Should put some perspective into contracts.
If Skinner gets the 9M x 8 years contract that it appears he will you can consider today a bigger day for Matt Duchene than it is for Skinner.

If Skinner gets 9M and also an 8th year, there’s no chance in hell Duchene doesn’t get double digits.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If Skinner gets the 9M x 8 years contract that it appears he will you can consider today a bigger day for Matt Duchene than it is for Skinner.

If Skinner gets 9M and also an 8th year, there’s no chance in hell Duchene doesn’t get double digits.
No doubt.

Duchene is, and was always going to be paid after how he played in Ottawa.

9M is clearly more than I expected for Skinner. But that should put into perspective other UFAs and contracts for some people who are a little off in their projections.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm still curious about what happens with Zbad; Landy-friend, legit 1b C, been on the block for a while now, good contract, in his prime, has a NTC that kicks in soon to put a clock on NYR selling him for good value, etc.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
EJ was EXCELLENT during the flames series. He was all over the place and a big reason we won. But we quickly forget all that after his really bad 2nd round.

I’m thinking and hoping that he was just hurt plus worn down. Hopefully he gets healthy and plays like he did against the flames although he’s always an injury concern.
Holy hell this is exactly the opposite of what I saw. He absolutely sucked in that whole series. How can anyone see differently? Go back and look at the game day threads. He was getting crucified and rightfully so. Granted he was playing injured and I thought he should have not been playing

Reactions: Iracundia

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm still curious about what happens with Zbad; Landy-friend, legit 1b C, been on the block for a while now, good contract, in his prime, has a NTC that kicks in soon to put a clock on NYR selling him for good value, etc.

For real? I know we mention him but I just thought it was a typical Avs fan obsession like Coots.

If Zibby is “on the block” it makes him way easier to acquire. I’d chase him for sure. Wouldn’t cost 4th OA either. 16th ++

Reactions: Hornstar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For real? I know we mention him but I just thought it was a typical Avs fan obsession like Coots.

If Zibby is “on the block” it makes him way easier to acquire. I’d chase him for sure.

"On the block" is probably too strongly worded, but they were quietly making & taking calls about him last summer...albeit the price I heard was a step up from the one Henchy has previously mentioned...and I know that they were still talking about him around the holidays.

Similar situation to us with Dutchy for the year prior to his trade request; looking to move him by a certain point in the future, but not exactly in a rush until that deadline to make a decision either way, arrives.

Dunno if the lottery changed their thinking tho...especially if they feel confident they'll land the breadman to play with him and Kakko; while planning to move Kreider instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Should be a good wake up call for folks in here about the contracts that we'll see this summer.

I already touched on it once but GMs know what direction the cap is going and how fast it likely goes up with Seattle and the expiring TV deal.

Giving Zuccarello or Hayes 6.5M will be very good value.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If Skinner gets 9M i don't understand hockey anymore, rising cap or not. Same with Duchene and double digits. This is just insane.

JVR got 7M just last year, so did Kane. For me that's still the price for a 30+ goals scoring winger.
It’s just simply the nature of the salary cap inflation.
Especially with more increases projected to come, an additional team, expansion, etc.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Let’s hope Z shows up before December starts.

Z just needs to have a good camp for once. He got himself in the dog house to start, which got him saddled with Barberio or Nemeth in shit minutes to start the year. Who has played with either of those guys and been a better player for it?

He needs to just come in and put in the work and get off on the right foot. If he can’t do that, especially assuming he’s on the other side of a contract fight with a fat new salary, I won’t blame the team for moving on. He’s fine when he gets into a groove and when he has confidence; playing with Barrie is good for that for him. But if he never gets there, that’s his own fault.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Z just needs to have a good camp for once. He got himself in the dog house to start, which got him saddled with Barberio or Nemeth in **** minutes to start the year. Who has played with either of those guys and been a better player for it?

He needs to just come in and put in the work and get off on the right foot. If he can’t do that, especially assuming he’s on the other side of a contract fight with a fat new salary, I won’t blame the team for moving on. He’s fine when he gets into a groove and when he has confidence; playing with Barrie is good for that for him. But if he never gets there, that’s his own fault.

A good camp would be a start, but his IQ is just so poor at times. It's not just showing up, as I pointed out earlier... It's the bad penalties, the getting goaded by the opposition, it's the brain dead plays and the laziness displayed on the ice at times. Yet people want him on the top pair? Yes, he looked better in the post-season, but how quickly we forget that Tkachuk goaded him into playing out of position and it was his ridiculous pass that led to Donskoi's goal in game 7.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Pure speculation at this point.

Not really.

Fact: Seattle is joining the NHL in the next 3 years, meaning an immediate $650M added revenue.

Face: The NHLs TV Contract expires in April 2021 meaning a new deal to be bid on, creating an unknown additional amount of revenue to the NHL.

This isn't speculation its fact. 5 years ago the NHL salary cap was 64.3M. This year it was 79.5M. A 19.1% increase over those 5 years.

Fact is the NHL salary cap is rising and going to continue to rise at a very rapid pace. The contracts we are seeing now are nothing more than a representation of that rising cap. A player like Skinner making 9M this summer is perfectly in line with where the cap is headed and GMs know this.

Reactions: shadow1

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If Skinner gets 9M i don't understand hockey anymore, rising cap or not. Same with Duchene and double digits. This is just insane.

JVR got 7M just last year, so did Kane. For me that's still the price for a 30+ goals scoring winger.

Maybe you don’t believe in Skinner, but he’s better than both Kane and JVR. I figure $1m is b/c Skinner is better and $1m for inflation.

$9m is a lot, but I probably would’ve paid that for a 30-40 goal scorer.

I know ppl shit all over Hoffman, but if we could get a 30 goal scorer like Hoffman for around $7-7.5m, then I’d do that (assuming the we didn’t give too much up trade wise).

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Not really.

Fact: Seattle is joining the NHL in the next 3 years, meaning an immediate $650M added revenue.

Face: The NHLs TV Contract expires in April 2021 meaning a new deal to be bid on, creating an unknown additional amount of revenue to the NHL.

This isn't speculation its fact. 5 years ago the NHL salary cap was 64.3M. This year it was 79.5M. A 19.1% increase over those 5 years.

Fact is the NHL salary cap is rising and going to continue to rise at a very rapid pace. The contracts we are seeing now are nothing more than a representation of that rising cap. A player like Skinner making 9M this summer is perfectly in line with where the cap is headed and GMs know this.

Hmm so a 19.1% increase over 5 years...

So that is 3.82% yearly growth...

So that means by year 5, EJ will be a 4.8M 5D...interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad