Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXX|6'3" or You Don't Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Continue arguing about how we can't sign anyone, will sign everyone, need to trade Barrie, need to keep Barrie and how THICC is enough.
You betcha!
No-one said Z is a a #1 guy. I think Makar can be that guy. I think he is already more responsible defensively than Barrie.

I listened to the suggestions of playing Barrie or Girard on the PK and didn't respond because it wasn't worth my time. We won't be winning many games if either of those guys are killing penalties on the regular.
Yeah, but doesn't Makar and the rest of the non-Barrie/Girard guys do it?

I'll say this, if there's no future for Barrie on this team, so be it, but it won't be because he got replaced by Girard.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The numbers being thrown around for Barrie might be market value and one could certainly make the case he deserves it but I'd be surprised if the Avs are the team that pays him $8.5-9M/yr on a long-term deal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Given how THICC Tyson is, I'm surprised that buddy doesn't feel more of a kinship with his fellow chubster

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Folks hate having an above average d corps so much they feel the need to ditch Barrie as soon as we have our 7th competent defender?

If you think giving Barrie an extra million is going to hamstring this team financially you’re out to lunch. Love him or hate him he’s the best dman on the team still and losing him would be a step back.

It’s crazy how far this argument migrated from anything resembling a coherent thought process. Props to @cgf for having the patience.

“Barrie is worth 2/3s of Burns” :laugh:

Good stuff.

Feels like Gatorbait and Patagonia must be pretty similarly minded, different people.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Sign

RW- Mikko Rantanen 8 yrs, 9.5m per
LW- Artem Panarin 6 yrs, 9.5m per
D- Nikita Zadorov 5 yrs, 4.5m per
C/W- JT Compher 4 yrs, 4.5m per
C/W- Alex Kerfoot 2 yrs, 2.75m per
D- Patrick Nemeth 2 yrs, 2.75m per
W- Colin Wilson 2 yrs, 2.5m per
RW- Kasperi Kapanen 3 yrs, 2.25m per
G- Pavel Francouz 2 yrs, 1m per
W- Gabe Bourque 1 yr, 750k
C- Vlad Kamanev 1 yr, 750k
D- Ryan Graves 1 yr, 750k
W- AJ Greer 1 yr, 750k
D- Anton Lindholm 1 yr, 750k
C- Dominic Toninato 1 yr, 750k

Trade

D- Tyson Barrie to TOR for

C- Nazim Kadri
RW- Kasperi Kapanen

C- Carl Soderberg to FLA for a 4th round pick

1.04- Alex Turcotte C- USND
1.16- Arthur Kaliyev LW- Hamilton

$3.025 mil in cap space

Roster:

Landeskog- MacKinnon- Rantanen
Panarin- Kadri- Kapanen
Wilson- Compher- Kerfoot
Nieto- Jost- Calvert
Bourque

Girard - Makar
Cole - Johnson
Zadorov - Nemeth
Graves - Barberio

Grubauer
Francouz

AHL:

Greer- Bowers- Kaut
Henry- Kamanev- O'Conner
Lewis- Tominato - Shvyryov
Barron

Meloche - Timmins
Lindholm - Alt
Anderson

Werner

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Folks hate having an above average d corps so much they feel the need to ditch Barrie as soon as we have our 7th competent defender?

If you think giving Barrie an extra million is going to hamstring this team financially you’re out to lunch. Love him or hate him he’s the best dman on the team still and losing him would be a step back.

It’s crazy how far this argument migrated from anything resembling a coherent thought process. Props to @cgf for having the patience.

Good stuff.

Feels like Gatorbait and Patagonia must be pretty similarly minded, different people.

I suggest to watch the Sakic End of Season Presser 11:07-11:48. Sakic was very positive and excited about the future, except Barrie by responding with a delay and less than supportive answer.

"we get to that point we'll have conversations."

Barrie's contract signing windows opens less than 6 weeks (July 01st) away. Conversations can begin at anytime and a framework should already be in place. Doesn't seem like any positive progress or negotiations are not likely progressing.

Trade him at the Draft to maximize his value, it's doubtful an agreement could be reached and should be moved immediately.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I suggest to watch the Sakic End of Season Presser 11:07-11:48. Sakic was very positive and excited about the future, except Barrie by responding with a delay and less than supportive answer.

Barrie's contract signing windows opens less than 6 weeks (July 01st) away. Conversations can begin at anytime and a framework should already be in place. Doesn't seem like any positive progress or negotiations are not likely progressing.

Trade him at the Draft to maximize his value, it's doubtful an agreement could be reached and should be moved immediately.

These things do drag on a bit though, especially with players like Barrie when they're on Newport. You're way overreacting. Now, I'm not saying it won't be difficult, but it was always going to be difficult.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Sign

RW- Mikko Rantanen 8 yrs, 9.5m per
LW- Artem Panarin 6 yrs, 9.5m per
D- Nikita Zadorov 5 yrs, 4.5m per
C/W- JT Compher 4 yrs, 4.5m per
C/W- Alex Kerfoot 2 yrs, 2.75m per
D- Patrick Nemeth 2 yrs, 2.75m per
W- Colin Wilson 2 yrs, 2.5m per
RW- Kasperi Kapanen 3 yrs, 2.25m per
G- Pavel Francouz 2 yrs, 1m per
W- Gabe Bourque 1 yr, 750k
C- Vlad Kamanev 1 yr, 750k
D- Ryan Graves 1 yr, 750k
W- AJ Greer 1 yr, 750k
D- Anton Lindholm 1 yr, 750k
C- Dominic Toninato 1 yr, 750k

giphy.gif

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Won't argue with you there. Certainly don't take my advocating for not trading Barrie as thinking that is what Sakic will do. I find Sakic's demeanour a bit worrisome when Barrie gets brought up but I also perceive it to be as much clamming up, knowing he can't give up much without weakening his position in negotitations, as anything to be truly worried about.

As has been sad elsewhere, I don't put too much stock into anything Sakic said. It was mostly, if not entirely, non-answers and I think that was especially so for his answers about Barrie. He sounds very clearly like a guy trying not to give an agent any leverage. He never states we'd be better with Barrie than without but it would be foolish to think he isn't aware of that.

Not all of his non-answers were un-informative, as UncleRisto has outlined, but I think we need to be wary of putting too much stock into them, especially on topics like Barrie where Sakic really only stands to lose by openly building him up before walking back into a negotiation.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Dave Pagnotta on XM Radio suggesting the Avs will be a team that pushes very strongly for Brock Nelson should he hit free agency.

I'm indifferent to Pagnotta, but I think Nelson will come a lot cheaper than Hayes.

Also lol @ Nolan. Again.

Reactions: Avs_19

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
These things do drag on a bit though, especially with players like Barrie when they're on Newport. You're way overreacting. Now, I'm not saying it won't be difficult, but it was always going to be difficult.

Fair enough, but at what point should the AVs close their history with Barrie? What if he makes these types of demands which is causing the delay.
  • $8M+ per demands;
  • Shorter term deal to reach UFA again;
  • Huge upfront signing bonuses (lockout proof);
  • NMC/NTC Clauses;
  • Negotiate contract after next season.
So this is not Newport being difficult, they'll agree as per Barrie's instructions. The Presser was not encouraging and suspect discussions are not going well that fans shouldn't be to opportunistic of his future.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dave Pagnotta on XM Radio suggesting the Avs will be a team that pushes very strongly for Brock Nelson should he hit free agency.

I'm indifferent to Pagnotta, but I think Nelson will come a lot cheaper than Hayes.

Also lol @ Nolan. Again.

Nelson would be so not that great. Hayes and Bread are the only 2 I’d want if we got a FA.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

Good stuff.

Wow Patagonia’s crazy and neurotic as well?

But seriously, here’s the thing - I’m not saying that it’s the extra $1m/year that will hamstring the team.

It’s the entirety of a $7-8m/year deal (for god knows how long) for a player that’s not going to be performing the same role for us going forward, that he has in the past. That role is clearly being usurped by Makar thereby negating Tyson’s best attributes, the reason(s) you sign him to such a deal.

With Makar filling that role, Barrie will become redundant sooner rather than later and we need to spend our cap space to address other issues on the back end. With the makeup of the d-unit already including smaller Dmen that are more offensive minded/puck movers and not physical (I.e. Makar and Girard), the last thing the defense needs is another undersized dman, who is a terrible defensive liability.

We need shutdown defenders that we can count on in our own end, especially ones that are good enough to play the PK.

Our PK was 25th last season, yet Barrie is such a defensive liability that, despite having such a bad PK, Bednar refused to ever play Barrie on the PK. In fact, Barrie logged less TOI on the PK than any other dman on the team - Cole, EJ, Nemo, Barberio, Zads, Girard, and Graves all had more short handed TOI than Barrie.

You just cannot afford to pay a guy as much as Barrie wants when considering his defensive issues, especially when you’re not going to give him the opportunities that made him successful in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad