Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXX|6'3" or You Don't Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
The only reason the Avs may not have to add in such a trade is b/c RNH only has 2 years left on his deal. You might not like the proposals in here, but it’s reality.

I think you’re underestimating (1) how much of a hit a guy’s trade value takes in the last year of his deal who’s about to get paid and (2) how much Barrie’s defensive deficiencies affect his value.

I think it is you who keep underestimating Barrie´s value. RNH scored barely 10 points more than Barrie this year. 10 points less than him last year (did play only 62 games though). As a forward. Avs would be definitely not the ones to add. It shall be a hockey trade, at worst.
I guess now you tell us he is actually better D-man than Barrie.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The only reason the Avs may not have to add in such a trade is b/c RNH only has 2 years left on his deal. You might not like the proposals in here, but it’s reality.

I think you’re underestimating (1) how much of a hit a guy’s trade value takes in the last year of his deal who’s about to get paid and (2) how much Barrie’s defensive deficiencies affect his value.

giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Actually it technically is, no?

I’d agree it has inaccurate implications to phrase it as such though

lol whoops, meant to write "pure speculation"; which separates it from the information/evidence that is needed for projection. Unlike "informed speculation", which comes close to projection...but still doesn't have the same burden of proof.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
This summer will be the beginning of doom for some teams. The contract that will be handed out this summer will be completely ridiculous.

I'm a huge Jeff Skinner fan, but if he gets $9.5mil, that's bad news for every team trying to get a decent price on UFAs. Duchene gets $10mil + if that's the case, and he's in NO WAY a $10mil player.

If anything, this means that the Avs absolutely need to sign Rantanen to 7+ years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is what I don't get.. Why are NHL GMs allowing RFAs to bend them over? Stone and Kucherov were basically UFA signings at 9.5M?

Why in the flying f*** should Marner, Mikko, etc be getting that much? Let alone pushing for shit like 11M?

Reactions: ibengals

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This is what I don't get.. Why are NHL GMs allowing RFAs to bend them over? Stone and Kucherov were basically UFA signings at 9.5M?

Why in the flying **** should Marner, Mikko, etc be getting that much? Let alone pushing for **** like 11M?

It started with agents pushing back against bridge deals coming out of ELCs and GMs caved. With bridge deals off the table for young stars agents started arguing (which is a reasonable stance, especially for forwards) that young players are close to their peak early on and deserve the big bucks.

I wonder if the Matthews 5 year deal will become the new normal where the young guys not only make top dollars but also don't give away many UFA years. For Avs sake, I hope not.

Reactions: Balthazar

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It started with agents pushing back against bridge deals coming out of ELCs and GMs caved. With bridge deals off the table for young stars agents started arguing (which is a reasonable stance, especially for forwards) that young players are close to their peak early on and deserve the big bucks.

I wonder if the Matthews 5 year deal will become the new normal where the young guys not only make top dollars but also don't give away many UFA years. For Avs sake, I hope not.

I get arguing, but the lack of leverage is what baffles me. It is like Dubas caving in the final hour for Nylander. Their team was playing well. All he needed to do was lay a contract on the table in October and walk the f*** away.

Players like McDavid and Matthews I get to an extent. They are your #1 centers.

There is another point.. these f***ing wingers demanding 10+ with years and years of RFA status left.

Some of these GMs have become spineless AF.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Lou left Toronto a year too early. That's what happened.

Was listening the Hockey Central a Noon podcast (yesterday's episode) and Brian Burke was explaining how Dubas has lost the Nylander battle, which led to the Matthews contract, which will lead to the Marner contract. It was very good.

They were saying they knew for a fact that Matthews had agreed to sign for longer and less money before the Nylander contract. Dubas really screwed up and now he has painted himself in the corner.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Lou left Toronto a year too early. That's what happened.

Was listening the Hockey Central a Noon podcast (yesterday's episode) and Brian Burke was explaining how Dubas has lost the Nylander battle, which led to the Matthews contract, which will lead to the Marner contract. It was very good.

They were saying they knew for a fact that Matthews had agreed to sign for longer and less money before the Nylander contract. Dubas really screwed up and now he has painted himself in the corner.

Which is a big reason why the Barrie situation needs to be handled very carefully.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I think it is you who keep underestimating Barrie´s value. RNH scored barely 10 points more than Barrie this year. 10 points less than him last year (did play only 62 games though). As a forward. Avs would be definitely not the ones to add. It shall be a hockey trade, at worst.
I guess now you tell us he is actually better D-man than Barrie.

Your only argument here is points, despite RNH having a higher scoring percentage per game. You make it seem like that’s the only part of the game that matters and ignore everything else.

You clearly anticipated my argument about Barrie’s defensive abilities (or lack thereof), but chose to completely discount/ignore that aspect. RNH is a good (but not great) 2 way forward that’s at least average defensively and good enough to play PK consistently. Barrie however, is below average defensively (to put it nicely).

In a vacuum, sure Barrie and RNH are similar in value. HOWEVER, as I’ve said before, the fact that Barrie’s in the last year of his deal is a key factor here. Barrie is going to ask for $8m+ from any new team he’s traded to, which significantly reduces his value.

But in reality, Barrie’s contract situation reduces his value, resulting in a situation where the Avs would probably have to add to Barrie in order to return RNH.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I agree that Dubas messed up with Nylander. Nylander got everything he wanted, the term, the structure, the dollars. Dubas and the Toronto media was all over the (but it saves some cap hit because he signed late) train but it was all ridiculous. Matthews bent him over and got at least fair market value and the term he wanted with all bonuses. I don't think Marner should get 11-12 million but I can 100% see why he wants it.

He is better than Matthews, and similar to Tavares. He should be paid like them. I will eat crow for that comment but he has proven to be better at getting points, better durability than glass Matthews, and plays all situations.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I'm still curious about what happens with Zbad; Landy-friend, legit 1b C, been on the block for a while now, good contract, in his prime, has a NTC that kicks in soon to put a clock on NYR selling him for good value, etc.

I would love to have Zbad, Just not sure we’d be able to get him for anything less than 4oa (which I would consider depending on the circumstances).

The thing with the Rangers though is - how are they going to move forward? If they sign Panarin then obviously they’re not rebuilding and they’re going for it.

But if they don’t sign Panarin, I’d argue their best move would be to trade Zbad and anyone 25+ That’s worth anything for picks/prospects.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
If Skinner does get a deal with a 9 million AAV, that bodes well for Rantanen getting less than 10. Especially with Kucherov and Stone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The compromise the owners will want for whatever the players desire will be further limiting contract term. Expect a 5/6 split instead of the 7/8... owners actually want these shorter contracts so they have no real issue with players wanting them. GMs and front offices only want term on the special 1-3 players on a team worth a big deal coming of their ELCs. Players traditionally want term for a guarantee, but the new breed of elite players see UFA and the dollars there. So get there as quickly as possible and then ask for term like Tavares basically did.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The compromise the owners will want for whatever the players desire will be further limiting contract term. Expect a 5/6 split instead of the 7/8... owners actually want these shorter contracts so they have no real issue with players wanting them. GMs and front offices only want term on the special 1-3 players on a team worth a big deal coming of their ELCs. Players traditionally want term for a guarantee, but the new breed of elite players see UFA and the dollars there. So get there as quickly as possible and then ask for term like Tavares basically did.

Yep, for a top player the best way to maximise your career earnings is to do what Matthews just did.

Sign 4-5 years for top dollars during your RFA years and then sign your long 7-8 years UFA deal for top dollars again because you're still in your prime. That gives you up to 13 years of maximum pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad