Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXX|6'3" or You Don't Exist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
So you would give Panarin 12M per year, but somehow think 8M would be a too much for Barrie?
I mean, i want Panarin badly myself, but if it took 12x7 to do it, i would think very, very hard about it. I know Duchene is sort of persona non-grata around here, but if he was available for say 8, i would take him over Panarin at 12 instantly...cause there is no way Panarin is that much better.
Duchene already turned down around 8.5 from Ottawa

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Grubauer sucked for 3/4 of the year

Correct and that’s why keeping Varly this year was important, it just didn’t work out as we hoped bc Varly sucked too.

I’m hoping that Grub gets into his rhythm early next year, and think he has a better chance to do so knowing he’s the guy from day 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMack29

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
EJ is going to be 35 years old when his contract expires.

He will be making $6m AAV as his knees completely fall apart. He's good for 20-25 points on the season and some good PK work. His offensive game has rapidly declined, his foot speed is rapidly going away, he offers almost nothing anymore on the rush. No more Condor rushes or anything.

Call me a skeptic for thinking teams aren’t lining up to trade for him.

He's our long-term problem, IMO.
My wish is that he hasn’t fully recovered from his kneecap injury during last offseason and this season. Hopefully this off-season does him good and he can heal&train properly and come back to form. That’s my wish, it would be awesome if true.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
EJ is going to be 35 years old when his contract expires.

He will be making $6m AAV as his knees completely fall apart. He's good for 20-25 points on the season and some good PK work. His offensive game has rapidly declined, his foot speed is rapidly going away, he offers almost nothing anymore on the rush. No more Condor rushes or anything.

Call me a skeptic for thinking teams aren’t lining up to trade for him.

He's our long-term problem, IMO.

EJ and Girard can't rush the puck at the same time. The coaching staff clearly instructed that pairing to let Girard be the guy unless EJ was forced into a situation where it had to be him.

We saw a few Condor rushes this year so it's not like his ability to do so is gone. They just wanted Girard to do it because he's better at it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
EJ simply didn't look good trying to play stay-at-home. He's better when he's joining the rush. I really hope Bednar continues to keep him and G apart, I really just don't like that pairing. If nothing else, I'd rather see Bednar go back to basics and pair EJ with Z.

I'm going to assume that Turn-and-Burn won't be a long-term sort of thing. I would hope it is, but I doubt it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
EJ simply didn't look good trying to play stay-at-home. He's better when he's joining the rush. I really hope Bednar continues to keep him and G apart, I really just don't like that pairing. If nothing else, I'd rather see Bednar go back to basics and pair EJ with Z.

I'm going to assume that Turn-and-Burn won't be a long-term sort of thing. I would hope it is, but I doubt it.

I like that our D core is pretty flexible and that we can have different options and pairings for different game situations.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Makar
Cole - Johnson
Barberio

EJ is going to be a very expensive 5D and PK1D.

That’s all I’m saying.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
And the Avs are going to be in a lot of trouble with Z playing top pairing minutes with Barrie.

Maybe, but maybe not if he keeps progressing. He's gotten better and better, and less inconsistent every season. He looked solid playing a ton of minutes in the playoffs too. If he can take another step in his development, he'd be the guy to replace EJ's role.

Makar may end up the Avs #1D, and I think will be solid defensively, but he won't ever play EJ's physical, shot blocking, hard to play against in front of the net, and in the corners game against top pairs for 82+ games a season.

The kind of role you need to shut down Gaudreau and Monahan in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hornstar

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Maybe, but maybe not if he keeps progressing. He's gotten better and better, and less inconsistent every season. He looked solid playing a ton of minutes in the playoffs too. If he can take another step in his development, he'd be the guy to replace EJ's role.

Makar may end up the Avs #1D, and I think will be solid defensively, but he won't ever play EJ's physical, shot blocking, hard to play against in front of the net, and in the corners game against top pairs for 82+ games a season.

I worry about Zadorov's ability to actually show up the first half of the season, his ability to not take dumb penalties, and his knack for making mind boggling plays that lead to adventure time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I worry about Zadorov's ability to actually show up the first half of the season, his ability to not take dumb penalties, and his knack for making mind boggling plays that lead to adventure time.

It's definitely a concern, but he has less and less of those every year. It's also something you might just have to accept in a defenseman like him. To have that month or so where he plays like a bit of a bonehead, as long as he rebounds down the stretch like he seems to every year.

That's when he plays his best hockey every season. From like February/March till the end of the year.

Reactions: Barklez

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011

I haven't seen which D pairing was matched up against the Gaudreau line the most but I suspect that you are overstating EJs role in shutting that line down.

Calgary scored 11 goals 1 being an empty net goal. EJ was on the ice for 6 GA, most of any Avs D.

EJ:6
Z:4
Nemeth:4
Cole:3
Barrie:2
Makar:0

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I haven't seen which D pairing was matched up against the Gaudreau line the most but I suspect that you are overstating EJs role in shutting that line down.

Calgary scored 11 goals 1 being an empty net goal. EJ was on the ice for 6 GA, most of any Avs D.

EJ:6
Z:4
Nemeth:4
Cole:3
Barrie:2
Makar:0

Two of those goals were on the PK, and just because you're on the ice for a goal, doesn't make it your fault. Otherwise +/- would be a relevant stat. EJ did struggle early on though, so that contributed to the goal count.

Makar and Barrie pretty clearly aren't the two best defensive defenseman on the Avs though. So goals against isn't a ranking of defensive ability. They play different roles, and they end up in different situations. EJ's role was trying to contain the Flames top line.

EJ was matched up against Gaudreau, Lindholm, and Monahan most of the first round. First it was with Girard, and then from game 3 on it was with Cole who also did a great job.

Those three didn't just go cold, they got neutralized, and shut down. That's why Gaudreau looked so frustrated and defeated.

Last edited:

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
EJ was EXCELLENT during the flames series. He was all over the place and a big reason we won. But we quickly forget all that after his really bad 2nd round.

I’m thinking and hoping that he was just hurt plus worn down. Hopefully he gets healthy and plays like he did against the flames although he’s always an injury concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad