Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVII|Crosby+MacK = Tim's Empire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why are you guys so fascinated with Hayes ? :huh:

Because he's a more skilled soderberg who's actually good defensively and there aren't any other FA centers that we could sign to fill our 2C hole...so unless Joe has a trade brewing using that 4th overall pick, we need Hayes to continue progressing next season. And he's an FA we actually have a good chance of pulling given that we almost wooed him when he left college.
Are we going to get a time machine and go back two years?

:laugh: fair enough, but Leafs fans were generally receptive to an EJ for Kadri + Marleau (2020-expiring) deal. Which I'd be down for to solve our 2C spot with a great contract; as Marleau would be off the books in a year.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Because he's a more skilled soderberg who's actually good defensively and there aren't any other FA centers that we could sign to fill our 2C hole...so unless Joe has a trade brewing using that 4th overall pick, we need Hayes to continue progressing next season. And he's an FA we actually have a good chance of pulling given that we almost wooed him when he left college.

:laugh: fair enough, but Leafs fans were generally receptive to an EJ for Kadri + Marleau (2020-expiring) deal. Which I'd be down for to solve our 2C spot with a great contract; as Marleau would be off the books in a year.
not for me , he's lazy and overrated . I doubt the Avs are interested anyway

Reactions: LTC Pain

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We went from playing Siemens Warsofsky and Barberio in the playoffs to worrying about which D gets lost in expansion. What a turnaround.

Even if the Avs keep Barrie, I wouldn't be that surprised to see the Avs protect all the D men and expose the young forwards.

I can see them thinking it'l be easier to replace Compher, Jost, and Kerfoot, than Barrie, Zadorov, EJ, Makar, or Girard. I think they appreciate what guys like EJ and Zadorov bring to the table more than people realize.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Comfortably? Not that I think it's likely but if he wanted to come, the money is there to sign him and bring back everyone we want this summer, with a couple of M left over.

Moving forward: Barrie & Girard's raises next summer should be covered by soda, longbeach & barbie expiring, and in the summer of 2021 we'd have Calvert & Cole expiring to free up ~7M + cap rises for Landy's raise & Makar's longterm deal...assuming he doesn't want a bridge deal. And somewhere in there EJ's 6M would disappear...or, at worst, shrink by 4M if we're forced to buy him out before the XD.

Why? His buyout is manageable if he won't waive & his protection isn't all that restrictive if we're talking about trading him before his value craters :dunno:
Sometimes I post without actually seeing if what I said makes sense.

Reactions: cgf and avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hayes is a realistic target though. We almost signed him out of college, he's a known stoner, we could offer him a very promising spot & make a fair offer. So wanting Joe to come away from this summer with him and a 2nd tier top 6er like Donskoi / Dzingel, who would be a clear upgrade on Kerf, isn't exactly unreasonable :dunno:
He also seems like a player who could end up being horribly overpaid and a disappointment if you are hoping he's a legit top 6 center.

Reactions: MarkT and BigMack29

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I only hope that the Avs add. We finally have a decent team. Time to keep them together and let the winning continue.

Keep the guys you can and if big fish pop up on your radar make big moves to get them like TB, SJ and Nashville. Figure out the cap as you go.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
It works as long as MacKinnon changes his role, it would be a total waste to have Barrie on the 2nd PP unit
You wouldn’t have to change Mackinnons role. You could change rantanen’s and Set up Makar or Barrie on the other half wall.

You could Rantanen into the slot position that Wilson takes up.

Many variations.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You wouldn’t have to change Mackinnons role. You could change rantanen’s and Set up Makar or Barrie on the other half wall.

You could Rantanen into the slot position that Wilson takes up.

Many variations.
Changing Rantanen seems like a bad decision. Having Mack and Rant on opposing wings gives us 2 one-timer options and Rantanen is a great halfwall QB. It'd be better to just put Makar on the 2nd unit until he passes Barrie.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He also seems like a player who could end up being horribly overpaid and a disappointment if you are hoping he's a legit top 6 center.

Depends on what you expect. If expectations are 50-55pt C who can anchor that 2nd line defensively next to Mikko, I don't think it's very likely to end in disappointment. And that's well worth the 6.5-6.75 that I expect him to sign for.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Depends on what you expect. If expectations are 50-55pt C who can anchor that 2nd line defensively next to Mikko, I don't think it's very likely to end in disappointment. And that's well worth the 6.5-6.75 that I expect him to sign for.
How much term are you expecting from him? And the only time he produced like that was on a rebuilding non competitive Rangers squad. He also was in a contract year. I'd much rather overpay for a 2c I trust than go after him with the term he'll likely require.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How much term are you expecting from him? And the only time he produced like that was on a rebuilding non competitive Rangers squad. He also was in a contract year. I'd much rather overpay for a 2c I trust than go after him with the term he'll likely require.

4-5 years.

He's been making steady progress to this season, like Zibby, so I don't think it's just a product of him & Zbad getting all of the opportunities on a weak team. Now I'm not saying that I expect him to repeat the 68 pts/82 that he was pacing for with NYR this season...even if we buttbuddy him with Mikko and give him a permanent spot behind the net on our top unit PP...but 50-55 pts with a strong defensive game seems perfectly realistic for me.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Surprised so many people want to bring back Wilson. He's playing fairly well right now, and has chipped in a few goals, but I feel like there's some recency bias going on. How good has he really been in the last couple years? Not that good. It's not like he's going to get better either. This is peak Wilson right now, and he's playing for a contract.

He'll just go back to being a $2-3M whipping boy next season if they resign him. I'd rather they let Greer have an actual chance at a 4th line gig, and put Wilson's money towards something more useful.

The thing with Wilson is that he contributes when he's not scoring, and by all accounts seems to be a good locker room guy.

Assuming Andrighetto/Brassard/Bourque are not retained (99.9% likely in the case of first two), Colorado will be heading into next season with 10 NHL regulars at forward - including Vlad Kamenev, who could struggle early on coming off major shoulder surgery. Sakic will obviously look for reinforcements this summer, but Wilson could still be a guy who fits a 3rd/4th line role for the team.

But I get what you're saying - he's an older player who's had an up and down time in Colorado (though, iirc, he played through an injury last season). Personally, I'm 50/50.

Reactions: McMetal and MarkT

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Why are you guys so fascinated with Hayes ? :huh:

I’m not. But the Avs desperately need a #2 centre NOW, and there aren’t a lot of other options since Sakic has procrastinated for a year.

By all means, if there’s a better realistic option I’d love it.

Reactions: Murzu and shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The need on Colorado's second line could be even more pressing than we think if soon to be 34-year-old Carl Soderberg carries his awful, wretched, borderline unwatchable post-season performance into next season.

Reactions: Avs_19

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
The need on Colorado's second line could be even more pressing than we think if soon to be 34-year-old Carl Soderberg carries his awful, wretched, borderline unwatchable post-season performance into next season.
Yep! Soda hasn’t been good.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I really dislike how when a player plays poorly in the playoffs, people assume he's suddenly become a horrible player rather than assuming he's dealing with an injury, which is very common in the playoffs.

I also dislike this narrative that Sakic was sleeping/procrastinating/sitting on his hands this past calendar year. It so rarely is paired with any realistic notion of what exactly he could have done differently. I wager this is largely based on him not signing Stastny, who may have simply preferred signing with Vegas. Honestly, who were the 2nd line players even available for Sakic to get? Tavaras? Nope. Van Riemsdyk? Nope. Stastny? Address above. Neal? Glad he didn't. Perron? Bozak? Seriously who should he have got?

Also, should he have made final decisions about this roster after only one full season together? Seriously, it's almost as if people forgot the massive roster changes he made after the disaster season, or that he brought in two free agents last offseason and traded for a center with 2nd line potential at the deadline (obviously that one didn't work, but it was only for a 3rd). This is a not a GM who is afraid to make moves.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I really dislike how when a player plays poorly in the playoffs, people assume he's suddenly become a horrible player rather than assuming he's dealing with an injury, which is very common in the playoffs.

I also dislike this narrative that Sakic was sleeping/procrastinating/sitting on his hands this past calendar year. It so rarely is paired with any realistic notion of what exactly he could have done differently. I wager this is largely based on him not signing Stastny, who may have simply preferred signing with Vegas. Honestly, who were the 2nd line players even available for Sakic to get? Tavaras? Nope. Van Riemsdyk? Nope. Stastny? Address above. Neal? Glad he didn't. Perron? Bozak? Seriously who should he have got?

Also, should he have made final decisions about this roster after only one full season together? Seriously, it's almost as if people forgot the massive roster changes he made after the disaster season, or that he brought in two free agents last offseason and traded for a center with 2nd line potential at the deadline (obviously that one didn't work, but it was only for a 3rd). This is a not a GM who is afraid to make moves.

JT, Stastny and Perron all would've been great adds.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The thing with Wilson is that he contributes when he's not scoring, and by all accounts seems to be a good locker room guy.

Assuming Andrighetto/Brassard/Bourque are not retained (99.9% likely in the case of first two), Colorado will be heading into next season with 10 NHL regulars at forward - including Vlad Kamenev, who could struggle early on coming off major shoulder surgery. Sakic will obviously look for reinforcements this summer, but Wilson could still be a guy who fits a 3rd/4th line role for the team.

But I get what you're saying - he's an older player who's had an up and down time in Colorado (though, iirc, he played through an injury last season). Personally, I'm 50/50.

Definitely agree he's a good locker room guy, but have to disagree with him contributing when he's not scoring. That's why I'd like to see the Avs move on.

He's not really a physical player, he doesn't play on the PK, he's not especially good defensively. He's just a guy that works hard on the forecheck, and battles well down low, but unfortantely kills a lot of plays and scoring chances because his hands are so poor.

I think it's a mistake to re-sign guys like that. I understand bringing him in hoping for depth, but I think they were hoping for more from him throughout his contract.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
They would have but we weren't on JT's list. Stastny probably went to LA to play with old teammate Perron. Point being how do you know we even had a shot.

Yeah, there's no point bringing up Tavares in this situation. To the bolded; :whaaa?: Not LA, and Perron signed back with St Louis......... We know there was interest from Stastny's side last summer.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Bring us a new second line. I'm sick of watching Kerfoots of the world trying to win us games. Sakic, this is your biggest offseason yet. I expect some moves, not just sitting on your *** and doing nothing.. NOW IS TIME.

The lack of quality in the top-6 is so obvious and it annoys me to death. It's been like this for a couple of years now.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

I'm ok with bringing in Hayes, even with picking a centre at #4, but I don't think it's realistic to get him for only 4-5 years at the price you mentioned somewhere else (~6,5). He's a UFA Centre. He'll get $$ AND term.

To the bolded: At the draft, picks seem to have an increase in value, so there could be a good deal had with the #16 pick as the main component, even in getting a centre, not just a winger. Who? Have no idea, but at this point, I'm thinking there's a bigger chance we trade the #16 for immediate help instead of making a pick there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad