Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVI|Kerfoot or Corefoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Mikko's pretty clearly not at 100% though.

Yeah, he definitely isn't. I think there's a reasons they are keeping Kerfoot on the left wall on the powerplay instead of moving Rants back there, which would be the only logical thing to do...I'm guessing Rantanen's ribs or whatever he injured are not in great shape, and he can't put his weight behind shots right now, like his one timers. He's definitely very off still.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's all just speculation, but I think it was the hip, not the ribs. I don't think he would have slammed the water bottle (or whatever it was) if he had just broken his ribs. That would have been too painful.

He also reached down his pants and grimaced a bit as he was skating off the ice.

Reactions: avsfan09

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm hoping Kerfoot can take that next step, or at least be more consistent.

I'd love to have:
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Kerfoot
Ferland-Hayes-Rantanen

Let Rants lead his line, and have the 1stLine available for those Just In Case scenarios.

EEEEKKKK!!! No disrespect to KerPing but the Avs can do better on the first-line. And yes, I have seen who he is paired with.

Reactions: Balthazar

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I would almost guarantee it was a broken rib for Mikko, and that it is definitely not healed yet. He's probably playing through quite a bit of pain and yeah, he's not gonna be taking and big wind up slappers with that kind of injury.
Not a medical professional but I think a broken rib is too dangerous to play through. There could be a chance of the rib puncturing organs right?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I’d bet anything it’s not his ribs. IMO it’s his hip if it’s bone related, if it’s muscle/sift tissue anything ribs-down is fair game but they way he went into the boards I’d be amazed if it’s his ribs.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
It's all just speculation, but I think it was the hip, not the ribs. I don't think he would have slammed the water bottle (or whatever it was) if he had just broken his ribs. That would have been too painful.

He also reached down his pants and grimaced a bit as he was skating off the ice.

Yea guessing it's a hip problem and he has trouble driving his hips through the shot. Notice he hasn't really been shooting at all. Probably painful as shit.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
EEEEKKKK!!! No disrespect to KerPing but the Avs can do better on the first-line. And yes, I have seen who he is paired with.
Nah better to break up the best line in hockey.

I am real tempted by Kadri: Trona is in a cap crunch, probably will sell low because of his antics and I’d rather keep him from a team like the Wild ot Nucks, but you are fool to think you can change a man as my girlfriend keeps saying about no one in particular.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What do people think the defense is going to look like next season? The guys in there for sure, barring any trades, are:

Johnson
Barrie
Girard
Cole
Makar

That's already 5 of 6 spots wrapped up, with only Nemeth likely not to return. The guys all gunning for that last regular spot are:

Graves
Meloche
Barberio
Alt
Timmins

And then there is, of course, what to do about Nikita Zadorov. I also have no idea if Barrie gets dealt but I don't think that happens before the season starts.

My prediction: Meloche starts on the Eagles, but ends up on the Avs, Zadorov is dealt this offseason, Graves takes that third pairing spot, Barberio plays as the 7th guy (and likely misses half the season due to injury), Alt gets waived and plays another year as Eagles captain, and Barrie gets dealt. Keep in mind this is not necessarily what I WANT to happen, just what I think might happen.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What do people think the defense is going to look like next season? The guys in there for sure, barring any trades, are:

Johnson
Barrie
Girard
Cole
Makar

That's already 5 of 6 spots wrapped up, with only Nemeth likely not to return. The guys all gunning for that last regular spot are:

Graves
Meloche
Barberio
Alt
Timmins

And then there is, of course, what to do about Nikita Zadorov. I also have no idea if Barrie gets dealt but I don't think that happens before the season starts.

My prediction: Meloche starts on the Eagles, but ends up on the Avs, Zadorov is dealt this offseason, Graves takes that third pairing spot, Barberio plays as the 7th guy (and likely misses half the season due to injury), Alt gets waived and plays another year as Eagles captain, and Barrie gets dealt. Keep in mind this is not necessarily what I WANT to happen, just what I think might happen.
I don't like to be that guy but I said it before and I'll say again....I can't shake the feeling that Sakic wanted Makar on the team right now as an audition to see if he can replace Barrie as early as next season. I know people will say that he is not ready to replace Barrie's 55-60 pts but I look at it from another angle. People have to look at both offense and defense. If he can have around 40 pts and then play better defense that will allow about 10 less goals against that's a net of around 5-10 pts difference. That makes Barrie expandable to bring in that 2nd line help + the cap saving.

Just my 2 cents.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't like to be that guy but I said it before and I'll say again....I can't shake the feeling that Sakic wanted Makar on the team right now as an audition to see if he can replace Barrie as early as next season. I know people will say that he is not ready to replace Barrie's 55-60 pts but I look at it from another angle. People have to look at both offense and defense. If he can have around 40 pts and then play better defense that will allow about 10 less goals against that's a net of around 5-10 pts difference. That makes Barrie expandable to bring in that 2nd line help + the cap saving.

Just my 2 cents.

I certainly can't rule that possibility out but I'm just not sure I see Joe, as patient and methodical as he is, making a decision that major with such a small sample size of games under Makar's belt. If indeed Barrie gets dealt I still think he waits until sometime during the regular season.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Hayes play with Winnipeg so far doesn't have me that concerned. Sometimes deadline acquisitions take awhile to get their bearings. He was always good in NY and was great for them as he became more of their go to guy.

He was never that good in the playoffs for NY. He just scored his 3rd goal and 11th point in 37 playoff games last night.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hayes is a decent player, but more in the Sodaberg vein than a real difference maker. He's a pretty passive player for being 6'5.

He did put up more points than usual the first half of the year, but how much is that being given a bigger role than he would have here and the increased scoring from the goalie equipment changes?

Perhaps a 40-50 point guy is worth $6M/year these days.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hayes is a decent player, but more in the Sodaberg vein than a real difference maker. He's a pretty passive player for being 6'5.

He did put up more points than usual the first half of the year, but how much is that being given a bigger role than he would have here and the increased scoring from the goalie equipment changes?

Perhaps a 40-50 point guy is worth $6M/year these days.

Sure MacK n the top line get more PT than does Zbad, but it's not like Hayes was their de facto 1C who got the best linemates & opportunities :dunno:

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I think if I was Sakic I would reward MacKinnon this year. Keep him happy. We have the money. Rework his contract for 9.5m a year. Add a few years also. Then that also sets a precedent for Rantanen contract talks. Give him 10 years at 8.5 per.

MacKinnon has to be the highest paid player on the team and things will play off that.

MacKinnon- 3m a year raise to 9.3m per

Rantanen- 10 years, 85m

Barrie- 5 years, 37.5m (top 10 $$ for dmen)

Zadorov- 5 years, 25m

We need to keep this young core.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think if I was Sakic I would reward MacKinnon this year. Keep him happy. We have the money. Rework his contract for 9.5m a year. Add a few years also. Then that also sets a precedent for Rantanen contract talks. Give him 10 years at 8.5 per.

MacKinnon has to be the highest paid player on the team and things will play off that.

Rantanen- 10 years, 85m

Zadorov- 5 years, 25m

I think you have no clue how contracts work in the NHL.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I think you have no clue how contracts work in the NHL.

Not to mention the smart thing is to give players short-term contracts, not long term ones. Not only the long-term ones can come and bite you in the arse few years later, it is the sure way to another lock-out.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Rantanen- 10 years, 85m

Zadorov- 5 years, 25m

This is not the NFL, the NHL’s CBA strictly prohibits renegotiation of contracts. I’ve no idea why you’d even propose something so silly. He’s fine with the deal he has, he’ll get a massive raise with his next (and likely final) contract.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Rantanen- 10 years, 85m

Zadorov- 5 years, 25m

-You can't "re-work contracts" in the NHL...this isn't the NFL, so your stance on MacKinnon is moot.

-The longest a contract can be is 8 years, so your Rantanen proposal is moot.

-Barrie will ask for, and get (from whoever his team is) 7 or 8 years. Probably between 7.5-8M as a starting point.

-Zadorov has 0 case to ask for and receive 5M a year. I know we all like Big Z, but he is too inconsistent and doesn't provide the offense to get into the 5's per year.

This post was...well it was something.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
-You can't "re-work contracts" in the NHL...this isn't the NFL, so your stance on MacKinnon is moot.

-Barrie will ask for, and get (from whoever his team is) 7 or 8 years. Probably between 7.5-8M as a starting point.

-Zadorov has 0 case to ask for and receive 5M a year. I know we all like Big Z, but he is too inconsistent and doesn't provide the offense to get into the 5's per year.

I blame this on Barrie and Makar and Girard. This team is too damn small!!! They are so small that the Avs aren't allowed to circumvent the CBA.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I have to give Kerfoot his dues and eat a nice serving of crow. He’s been awesome in the playoffs and his one assist in three games has not been an accurate representation of his impact.

If he can carry over his post season play into next season, I’d love him as a top-6 forward next year.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Is it really surprising though considering who it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad