Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVI|Kerfoot or Corefoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If they sign Hayes or bring in another average #2 centre they absolutely still need to bring in an additional forward still as well. 2-3 years ago even when Duchene was here the team already needed a top six winger who could put pucks in the net...Sakic has procrastinated, and the shopping last has consequently grown. It's certainly possible to make multiple big additions -- Vegas added Stone / Stastny / Pacioretty in one year, as Eddie said, and San Jose added Kane / Karlsson / Nyquist. Sakic needs to actually get out and do something this offseason instead of throwing money at #5 D and checking line forwards. I would certainly not be pleased if this was the Avs' forward corps going into next season:

Landeskog - MacK - Rants
Jost - Hayes - Kerfoot
Calvert - Soderberg - Compher
Nieto - Kamenev - Wilson
Bourque

To me that middle six winger group just flat out isn't good enough. And Kevin Hayes or another average #2 centre aren't good enough to carry a scoring line around by themselves. The right addition alongside a Kevin Hayes type could change the dynamic of the forward core and actually help push this team to a higher level.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah Panarin is an elite 1st liner.

A "Solid" 2nd line would be something like Ferland - Hayes - Compher. In that group you have 3 ~40-45 point guys(With the potential for 50+ in Hayes), all of which who bring additional elements to the table as well such as physicality(Ferland), Size(Hayes), Defensive play(Hayes an Compher), or speed(Compher).

That would be a solid 2nd line. If you start getting a 2nd line with likes of Panarin, Jeff Skinner, Matt Duchene, or had the lottery worked out better for us a Kakko/Hughes on it, Now you're getting into the territory of essentially having two 1st lines.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Any chance Lee considers leaving the Island with the year they are having? I assume he’s cost even more than Ferland? He’s not as truculent but he’s huge and a leader and can score goals.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Any chance Lee considers leaving the Island with the year they are having? I assume he’s cost even more than Ferland? He’s not as truculent but he’s huge and a leader and can score goals.

Per some Isles fans the holdup there seems to be term...not sure who said that but they seemed pretty confident when I saw them talking about it somewhere on the board the other day. Lee wants the full 7/8 years, max term sort of deal, and the Isles aren't comfortable giving out a deal that long to a guy who will be 29 this offseason and whose body might break down. Not sure if that's true, but it'd make sense to me....ultimately I think the Isles and Lee 100% get a deal done, but if Lee does go to UFA I would have some concerns about a big, high money max term contract.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
Ferland, Hayes, Dzingel, Nelson.. Those would all be guys I'd be a fan of going after. Especially 1 and 2.

I have really warmed up to the idea of bringing Hayes in. I would love to be able to bring both he and Nelson in and run a 2nd line of: Landy-Hayes-Nelson

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, I like Ferland, but not for Tom Wilson money. Anyone who signs him to that will end up regretting it.

Also, no on Brock Nelson, I think he's also a bad long-term bet.

I'm just not sure on Hayes. I still think he disappears way too much for a guy with his "gritty" reputation. But right now he's probably the best option for a team looking to get a 2nd line center, improve defensively, and maybe get bigger up front. He checks a lot of boxes.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we do strike out on Hayes and Panarin, I actually wouldn't mind Eberle as a second-tier free agent. I know I'm vastly in the minority, but he can score goals, and that's desperately needed.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Again, I like Ferland, but not for Tom Wilson money. Anyone who signs him to that will end up regretting it.

I'm just not sure on Hayes. I still think he disappears way too much for a guy with his "gritty" reputation. But right now he's probably the best option for a team looking to get a 2nd line center, improve defensively, and maybe get bigger up front. He checks a lot of boxes.
I can't think of any times people have thought of Hayes as gritty though. He's just a big body with good puck protection, not a physical guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can't think of any times people have thought of Hayes as gritty though. He's just a big body with good puck protection, not a physical guy.

True, I think I'm mixing him up with someone else. There are a LOT of red flags there...but the FA market is simply not great.

He is a big body with a heavy shot and talent to spare. But I keep looking at the entire body of his work in NY and I just don't come away terribly impressed. Not sure what the Avs do to address the 2C problem at this point.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
True, I think I'm mixing him up with someone else. There are a LOT of red flags there...but the FA market is simply not great.

He is a big body with a heavy shot and talent to spare. But I keep looking at the entire body of his work in NY and I just don't come away terribly impressed. Not sure what the Avs do to address the 2C problem at this point.

He was really impressive. #1 PK guy and did all the heavy lifting against the other teams top lines while still producing offensively. You may really confuse him with someone else.

Reactions: cgf and Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hayes play with Winnipeg so far doesn't have me that concerned. Sometimes deadline acquisitions take awhile to get their bearings. He was always good in NY and was great for them as he became more of their go to guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll admit that part of the reason Hayes didn't impress me earlier in NY was Vigneault. Much as I love Alain, he was making some dumb decisions near the end with the Rangers. He flourished this season and that may have been, in part, to Quinn giving him a bigger role.

Again, he does check a lot of boxes...I don't love the player but I just don't think there's anyone better available on the FA market who addresses their needs.

I'm also standing by my prediction that Carl Soderberg will not finish his contract with the Avs...but we'll see I guess.

Reactions: cgf

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016

Ferland does so much more than just score. Even if he isn't lighting up the stat sheet he is a presence on the ice much like Z and would make us that much harder to play against. I want him or a trade for JT Miller to be our priorities this offseason.

Ferland will be worth every penny.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'll admit that part of the reason Hayes didn't impress me earlier in NY was Vigneault. Much as I love Alain, he was making some dumb decisions near the end with the Rangers. He flourished this season and that may have been, in part, to Quinn giving him a bigger role.

Again, he does check a lot of boxes...I don't love the player but I just don't think there's anyone better available on the FA market who addresses their needs.

I'm also standing by my prediction that Carl Soderberg will not finish his contract with the Avs...but we'll see I guess.

Well Hayes is basically Soda part II.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
After listening to Ferraro describing Hayes as essentially being invisible thus far in the WPG-St. Louis series, I decided to look up his career playoff stats.

2 goals and 10 total points in 36 NHL playoff games to date. Needless to say, it is not very impressive.
But he was 6’5” in the playoffs!

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ferland does so much more than just score. Even if he isn't lighting up the stat sheet he is a presence on the ice much like Z and would make us that much harder to play against. I want him or a trade for JT Miller to be our priorities this offseason.

Ferland will be worth every penny.

He also has some very big holes in his game. His previous two teams were pretty good defensively, I am more than a bit concerned he'll be a bit exposed if he comes to Colorado.

Again, I'll take him if they decide to get him but I think the asking price (and more importantly, term) is just too much. But I'll also acknowledge that if you wish to be a player in free agency, you're gonna have to overpay.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm hoping Kerfoot can take that next step, or at least be more consistent.

I'd love to have:
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Kerfoot
Ferland-Hayes-Rantanen

Let Rants lead his line, and have the 1stLine available for those Just In Case scenarios.

If we got Ferland & Hayes, I'd call up Minnesota & see if we can't make a Kerf+2nd for Zucker trade happen...and when that fell through would settle on a Jost-Zucher swap. He'd be perfect to have next to MacK & either Rantanen or Landeskog...with the other one leading that 2nd line with the FAs.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
I'm hoping Kerfoot can take that next step, or at least be more consistent.

I'd love to have:
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Kerfoot
Ferland-Hayes-Rantanen

Let Rants lead his line, and have the 1stLine available for those Just In Case scenarios.

So far Rants has shown he cant lead a line and without Mackinnon he looks like a completely different player fumbling over his own skates every other shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad