Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXVI|Kerfoot or Corefoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think if I was Sakic I would reward MacKinnon this year. Keep him happy. We have the money. Rework his contract for 9.5m a year. Add a few years also. Then that also sets a precedent for Rantanen contract talks. Give him 10 years at 8.5 per.

MacKinnon has to be the highest paid player on the team and things will play off that.

MacKinnon- 3m a year raise to 9.3m per

Rantanen- 10 years, 85m

Barrie- 5 years, 37.5m (top 10 $$ for dmen)

Zadorov- 5 years, 25m

We need to keep this young core.

I believe contracts can only be renegotiated in the final year (after July 01st).

For example, Barrie will be entering his final season. AVs cannot offer another deal until after July 01st. If they want to trade him prior to the draft, the trading team unofficially could be allowed to discuss terms beforehand. Rants/Zadorov are in their final season and can be negotiated now.

Mackinnon is locked into a multi-year deal and cannot be renegotiated until July 01st, 2022.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
-You can't "re-work contracts" in the NHL...this isn't the NFL, so your stance on MacKinnon is moot.

-The longest a contract can be is 8 years, so your Rantanen proposal is moot.

-Barrie will ask for, and get (from whoever his team is) 7 or 8 years. Probably between 7.5-8M as a starting point.

-Zadorov has 0 case to ask for and receive 5M a year. I know we all like Big Z, but he is too inconsistent and doesn't provide the offense to get into the 5's per year.

This post was...well it was something.
Just franchise tag Rantanen and don't be afraid to use the Larry Bird Exception if you have to.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Just franchise tag Rantanen and don't be afraid to use the Larry Bird Exception if you have to.

I don't know, it seems to me that the use of the franchise tag often creates animosity between the player and the organization, and they end up moving a year or two latter. Rantanen deserves a long term deal.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I believe contracts can only be renegotiated in the final year (after July 01st).

For example, Barrie will be entering his final season. AVs cannot offer another deal until after July 01st. If they want to trade him prior to the draft, the trading team unofficially could be allowed to discuss terms beforehand. Rants/Zadorov are in their final season and can be negotiated now.

Mackinnon is locked into a multi-year deal and cannot be renegotiated until July 01st, 2022.
Extensions aren't allowed anymore? or they can't be done until July 1st?

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo

They cant sign but they can negotiate before.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I'd love for us to make a play for Bennett this off-season, I think he'd be the perfect winger to play with Jost and be fantastic to have on our third line.

Reactions: cgf

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Damn.... At least wait till after this series to say that. The dirty sob

He plays hard and on the line, but he's not a little shit like Tkatchuk (who I would also love to have on the team). I think having a player like Bennett who can skate half decent and play a physical game would be great for us.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

Start negotiations for his next contract, yes. Renegotiate his current contract, no.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Extensions aren't allowed anymore? or they can't be done until July 1st?

They can't sign before July 01st, but negotiations can happen before the final year.

Mackinnon is too far into the future. Barrie is only a few months away, I'm sure Sakic must have opened discussions on possible $$$ amounts. Rants is playing his final year of his ELC, but wanted to wait until after this season.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He plays hard and on the line, but he's not a little **** like Tkatchuk (who I would also love to have on the team). I think having a player like Bennett who can skate half decent and play a physical game would be great for us.

Doubt Bennett would be available and given his high draft position, they'll ask for a significant return.

Cap issues could be a problem with $10M available next season. RFAs Tkachuk, Rittch and Bennett needing new deals. They also might pursue Varly, but they'll just dump a contract. So forget about seeing Bennett playing for the AVs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love for us to make a play for Bennett this off-season, I think he'd be the perfect winger to play with Jost and be fantastic to have on our third line.
Damn.... At least wait till after this series to say that. The dirty sob

Would be nice if after the series we could just take Backlund, Tkachuk & Bennett, with us to Vegas...

Reactions: Hornstar

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Eh, I have enough trouble stomaching some of Cole's hits with how questionable they can be. I'd rather not have to cheer for someone worse. But now that I think about it, fellow psychopath Steve Downie was f***ing entertaining here at times. So maybe I'd come around eventually.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Eh, I have enough trouble stomaching some of Cole's hits with how questionable they can be. I'd rather not have to cheer for someone worse. But now that I think about it, fellow psychopath Steve Downie was ****ing entertaining here at times. So maybe I'd come around eventually.

I wouldn't say that Bennett is any worse than Cole...and I'm not even sure he's as bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad