Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXV|Landeskog: Maanmetsä???

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Those two guys won't make it better.
Kassian is not somebody I'd want. But Paquette isn't going to make it worse here. Either way, they are not the penalty problem and wouldn't be long-term. Bednar's system is the real problem there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Okay, so he gets a 1-2 year deal at that rate...still doesn't seem like a very big deal to me.

Just like it wasn't a big deal for Spooner, now nobody wants him. Teams don't like those sorts of players long-term.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So many absolutes here and I'm just not sure why. One less-than-stellar year from Kerfoot (following an impressive rookie season) and people are CONVINCED he's going to get $4 million AAV and turn into the next Ryan Spooner. There's just no possibility whatsoever he might turn it around next year...? Or that he might not get the "Spooner" deal?

I mean at his best Kerfoot is a pure playmaker that doesn’t bring much else to the table. I mean he’s not a liability defensively but he brings no physical advantages, no scoring threat, can’t win board battles, and isn’t a monster on the forecheck. He’s a good skater and a pure setup guy which makes him incredibly easy to defend. That’s just not someone I don’t want to give much money too.

Reactions: klozge and Barklez

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean at his best Kerfoot is a pure playmaker that doesn’t bring much else to the table. I mean he’s not a liability defensively but he brings no physical advantages, no scoring threat, can’t win board battles, and isn’t a monster on the forecheck. He’s a good skater and a pure setup guy which makes him incredibly easy to defend. That’s just not someone I don’t want to give much money too.

I think you're selling him short there. I still say he's one of the best defensive forwards on the team and one of the best, if not THE best player on the team not part of the top line to be able to skate the puck out of the defensive zone with speed. I get he has limitations to his game, but I also think way too much was asked of him this season and his confidence has been shattered as a result. Give him linemates to where he doesn't have to carry the load and I think you'll see a much better player.

And I'm still really befuddled as to why Bednar refuses to use him on the penalty kill. I think he'd be almost as good as Compher when it comes to generating shorthanded scoring chances.

Reactions: MacBradley

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just like it wasn't a big deal for Spooner, now nobody wants him. Teams don't like those sorts of players long-term.

If no one wanted him he wouldn't have been traded multiple times this season alone. If the contract and/or the player gets to be that big a headache, there's ways to move him. We're not talking about Milan Lucic here. It's gonna be a fairly modest, very affordable deal no matter how you cut it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think you're selling him short there. I still say he's one of the best defensive forwards on the team and one of the best, if not THE best player on the team not part of the top line to be able to skate the puck out of the defensive zone with speed. I get he has limitations to his game, but I also think way too much was asked of him this season and his confidence has been shattered as a result. Give him linemates to where he doesn't have to carry the load and I think you'll see a much better player.

And I'm still really befuddled as to why Bednar refuses to use him on the penalty kill. I think he'd be almost as good as Compher when it comes to generating shorthanded scoring chances.

I think too much was asked of him as well. But I just don’t see it with him. Even last year there were red flags all over the place with him and those are coming up. I just think he isn’t good enough at his strengths to overcome that he just isn’t that great of a hockey player.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If no one wanted him he wouldn't have been traded multiple times this season alone. If the contract and/or the player gets to be that big a headache, there's ways to move him. We're not talking about Milan Lucic here. It's gonna be a fairly modest, very affordable deal no matter how you cut it.

Spooner was an arb dump to the Rags knowing he'd be getting more than he is worth. Rags bit the bullet, but sent him packing as soon as they knew they made a mistake for another crap contract (while retaining on Spooner). Edmonton waived Spooner with no takers. Then sent Spooner to Vancouver for a guy Vancouver had stuffed in the minors. In other words, Spooner can be moved, you just have to take on the same salary and have another crappy player come back to do so. Players like Spooner, Kerfoot, and Gagner are depth scoring players for bad teams. They have their role and place in the NHL, but a team looking to win wants nothing to do with them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Avs' penalty problems are due more to Bednar and his system.
Kassian is not somebody I'd want. But Paquette isn't going to make it worse here. Either way, they are not the penalty problem and wouldn't be long-term. Bednar's system is the real problem there.

Avs are 6th in penalties since Bednar took over. They're surrounded by good teams with good coaches and systems just ahead of them and behind them on the list. Now, the Avs clearly don't have the talent to get away with it and they should cut some of the dumb infractions out but I think it's being blown out of proportion just a tad. Cole and Zadorov lead the way for the Avs and I put that on a combination of them being the two most physical defensemen on the team and also the dumbest. Next is Rantanen and that's probably a combination of the system and laziness. Then there's Landeskog, who is actually taking much fewer penalties under Bednar than he did previously. Some of the stick infractions certainly need to stop though and I can see how a bunch of those can be tied to the way they're being asked to play.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Spooner was an arb dump to the Rags knowing he'd be getting more than he is worth. Rags bit the bullet, but sent him packing as soon as they knew they made a mistake for another crap contract (while retaining on Spooner). Edmonton waived Spooner with no takers. Then sent Spooner to Vancouver for a guy Vancouver had stuffed in the minors. In other words, Spooner can be moved, you just have to take on the same salary and have another crappy player come back to do so. Players like Spooner, Kerfoot, and Gagner are depth scoring players for bad teams. They have their role and place in the NHL, but a team looking to win wants nothing to do with them.

Suit yourself. I still think too many of you are judging him too harshly based on one bad season where he was overworked and misused. I still say he's a much better player than Spooner, and likely much better than those other guys you mentioned. Worst-case scenario, they have a pretty expensive fourth liner on their hands. That's not going to hamstring the franchise, and really, if things REALLY go south, then yes, they take on someone else's marginal player. No big deal.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Are they that much of a worry though? Aren't there a ton of comps in the 2.5-3.5 x 2 year range?
Your're right. Most of his comparables are in that range. No idea why $4m keeps getting thrown around.

Reactions: Meeqs

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was hopeful that Kerfoot could replicate his offensive production from last year, but he's been mostly a bust this year and generally drags down his line, killing plays left and right. He's a high character guy and surely part of the young leadership core in that locker room, but on the ice he's been a null factor at best.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I was hopeful that Kerfoot could replicate his offensive production from last year, but he's been mostly a bust this year and generally drags down his line, killing plays left and right. He's a high character guy and surely part of the young leadership core in that locker room, but on the ice he's been a null factor at best.

Kerfoot’s stats are basically in line with last season with the caveat that his goals have regressed, which just about anyone who looked at his sh% from last season would have predicted, and this makes consecutive seasons where he makes his biggest impact in the first half of the season and seems to get ground to a pulp by the end of the campaign due to overuse and being on the smaller size.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kerfoot’s stats are basically in line with last season with the caveat that his goals have regressed, which just about anyone who looked at his sh% from last season would have predicted, and this makes consecutive seasons where he makes his biggest impact in the first half of the season and seems to get ground to a pulp by the end of the campaign due to overuse and being on the smaller size.
One reason I was hopeful last summer that he could have a good season was because he had such a poor showing down the stretch. I figured with a summer of pro conditioning he would, like a lot of college athletes, have more stamina in his sophomore season. Guess not.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It was easy to predict, but that was quite the hotly contested subject over the summer. Those of us that predicted regression were argued with empatheticly. You combine his high shooting percentage and lack of as many (though still has some) garbage points you have the real level of offensive player Kerfoot is. He can provide some, but on a good team he doesn’t touch a top 6 and isn’t who you want in a bottom 6. I still maintain Kerfoot’s best usage is a 4th line center where a team has 3 lines they can role... then slot Kerfoot on the 2nd pp as a half wall QB.

Reactions: LieutenantDangle

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think Kerfoot will sign for about 3.5M for 2yrs. I think we still need him for one more season. If he goes to arbitration and gets 4M that's fine. Just go for one or two years. If you need to trade him later you can always retain 500K. We will still have the cap space by then. Another team that need offense would take him at around 3.5M per.

He is not a great fit but he provides around 40 pts per season and is useful for now on the 2nd PP. He is only a problem when he plays with other small players.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It was easy to predict, but that was quite the hotly contested subject over the summer. Those of us that predicted regression were argued with empatheticly. You combine his high shooting percentage and lack of as many (though still has some) garbage points you have the real level of offensive player Kerfoot is. He can provide some, but on a good team he doesn’t touch a top 6 and isn’t who you want in a bottom 6. I still maintain Kerfoot’s best usage is a 4th line center where a team has 3 lines they can role... then slot Kerfoot on the 2nd pp as a half wall QB.
His shooting percentage was bound to drop once he starts shooting more which he did and it did go down. I don't think anybody was contesting that.

Reactions: Foppa2118

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
His shooting percentage was bound to drop once he starts shooting more which he did and it did go down. I don't think anybody was contesting that.

Everybody agreed it would go down some... many thought he’d pull a Tangs and stay high. Plenty of history on here with regards to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad