Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXV|Landeskog: Maanmetsä???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He sucks, he's too small and when he scores it doesn't affect the game. What are you afraid to lose exactly?

I'm not commenting on the usefulness of Kerfoot. I'm talking about the unrealistic expectation that the Avs add 3 top 6 players before next season. Like Kaut will possibly come up and could eventually fill that but will take some time and they could sign a UFA guy for another. The draft could get you 1-2 of those guys long term but unless its a top 2, maybe 3 pick then its unlikely they are here next year.

So expecting all those holes to be filled by next year is just pretty unrealistic imo. Kerf will be cheap and a body that can put up 40 points, and on a team that has little to no depth there and injuries happen I don't see them super eager to ship him out.

If they can get something useful back then by all means but I just wouldn't say that I expect it to happen.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'd give that money to Brassard instead of Kerfoot 10 times out of 10.

Neither guy is really going to be making more than 3m AAV x 2 tbh. You could easily have both if you so wanted. He's an RFA so the Avs aren't going to just lose him for money.

With all the young kids that will be coming up CAP wont matter at all for about 2-3 years, at which point it will start being VERY important.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't even think salary is the biggest issue with Kerfoot. I think there's a pretty good chance they move on from him either way.

He just doesn't fit into any of the lines unless he's a top 6 center with perfect wingers, and he's not gonna be that on this team. My guess is they'll open up his spot on the roster and replace him with a gritty UFA winger.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
And this is the crux of the issue... He's a semi useful piece, just not useful enough to overcome his arbitration worries.

Are they that much of a worry though? Aren't there a ton of comps in the 2.5-3.5 x 2 year range?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think arbitration will be an issue with Kerfoot. The Avs aren't likely to have cap problems next year.

If they deem Kerfoot as useful, and want to bring him back, and Kerfoot elects arbitration, the Avs will elect a one year deal and move on from him the following season.

I don't think it will even get to that though. I'd be surprised if they don't move him for a mid to late pick or low ceiling prospect at the draft. I think a rebuilding team takes him on.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Kerfoot should be qualified and then traded before arbitration, that is if he’s not moved even earlier at the draft.

I don’t mind him, he’s good for his 40 points but not much else. He’s a perfect player for what this Avs team is right now; not even a ‘pretender’, just a bubble/non-playoff team with zero chance of meaningful hockey in May.

He’s exactly what we don’t want or need for the team we want to become.

I’m more interested in knowing what his value is.

Can we pickup a decent bottom 6er with grit in a “hockey trade?” Does he just return a weak draft choice? Who even has interest in a player like I described above?

Not sure what the answers are to these questions, but I know he’s not the answer for the 2019/20 Colorado Avalanche.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kerfoot should be qualified and then traded before arbitration, that is if he’s not moved even earlier at the draft.

I don’t mind him, he’s good for his 40 points but not much else. He’s a perfect player for what this Avs team is right now; not even a ‘pretender’, just a bubble/non-playoff team with zero chance of meaningful hockey in May.

He’s exactly what we don’t want or need for the team we want to become.

I’m more interested in knowing what his value is.

Can we pickup a decent bottom 6er with grit in a “hockey trade?” Does he just return a weak draft choice? Who even has interest in a player like I described above?

Not sure what the answers are to these questions, but I know he’s not the answer for the 2019/20 Colorado Avalanche.

I think a rebuilding team might give up a 4th rounder or low ceiling prospect for him. That's what I put his value at among teams that might see a use for him.

It might be a tad higher if he didn't have such a poor finish to the season. Still though, slower teams looking for scoring will see a 24 year old, speedy, 40 point forward, and chances are someone will see a need for that.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Kerfoot for a bottom-9 forward would be best. I've suggested Kassian before, but really any team that has a large forward that can chip in 20 points and play physical hockey would work.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kerfoot for a bottom-9 forward would be best. I've suggested Kassian before, but really any team that has a large forward that can chip in 20 points and play physical hockey would work.

I’d love that. Plus stapling Kerfoot to McDavids wing would be pretty good I think. Letting him 3rd wheel with McD and Drai would be better than a lot of the other guys they play with.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
I’d like to trade Kerfoot at the draft but still get a useful player back that perhaps is overpaid and another team simply can’t afford.

Marleau is the first one that comes to mind but he likely wouldn’t waive to come here.
In what way do you see Marleau being useful for us? PP2?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think they should waste a roster spot on that kind of winger IMO. Calvert is basically a 25 point guy. Wilson is a 20-25 point guy at this point in his career. Same with Nieto. They need to upgrade these players.

I think they need to make their additions count. No more stop gap, lets see if they can rejuvenate their career types.

Bring in a gritty 35-40 point middle six winger. Preferably one that's a good PKer. That's what they need, that's what they should get. Not for Kerfoot though obviously.

They need a guy in between Landy and Calvert in ability.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So many absolutes here and I'm just not sure why. One less-than-stellar year from Kerfoot (following an impressive rookie season) and people are CONVINCED he's going to get $4 million AAV and turn into the next Ryan Spooner. There's just no possibility whatsoever he might turn it around next year...? Or that he might not get the "Spooner" deal?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Aren't there way more favorable comps than bad ones though. Look at Borkstrand, Vesey, Mantha, Domi, Strome, AA, Kase, TT, etc.

It depends on the arbiter and teams are naturally risk averse... Teams will argue Max Domi is a comparable... Kerfoot's camp will come back with Domi had back to back 9 goal seasons before his contract while Kerfoot had 19 and 11 (though will probably creep up) saying his 30+ over 2 years makes Kerfoot at least better, if not more comparable to ____. Kerfoot has a 43 point season already with 19 goals. His dip this year, so far, isn't going to help his argument. But teams will be wary of it. 3.5 is probably the base of what you're looking at. 4.25 is probably the max (3.6-3.7 is probably the most likely). With arbitration, none of those can be walked away from.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It depends on the arbiter and teams are naturally risk averse... Teams will argue Max Domi is a comparable... Kerfoot's camp will come back with Domi had back to back 9 goal seasons before his contract while Kerfoot had 19 and 11 (though will probably creep up) saying his 30+ over 2 years makes Kerfoot at least better, if not more comparable to ____. Kerfoot has a 43 point season already with 19 goals. His dip this year, so far, isn't going to help his argument. But teams will be wary of it. 3.5 is probably the base of what you're looking at. 4.25 is probably the max (3.6-3.7 is probably the most likely). With arbitration, none of those can be walked away from.

Okay, so he gets a 1-2 year deal at that rate...still doesn't seem like a very big deal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad