Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXV|Landeskog: Maanmetsä???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This offseason will quite possibly be the most crucial one of Jost's career. The team flat-out told him after last season he was too slow, and unfortunately I just don't think that's a problem that can be fixed. He certainly tried (though as others have said his decision to bulk up may have been a bad one). IMO he needs to perfect his shot. Too often he whiffed or wasn't able to get his one-timer through traffic. It's certainly powerful enough, and I believe it's pretty accurate, but he's got to get it up to a pro level. He also needs to get it off quicker, like too many players on the Avs he takes way too long to shoot. That will be the thing that ends up making or breaking him as an NHL player.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This offseason will quite possibly be the most crucial one of Jost's career. The team flat-out told him after last season he was too slow, and unfortunately I just don't think that's a problem that can be fixed. He certainly tried (though as others have said his decision to bulk up may have been a bad one). IMO he needs to perfect his shot. Too often he whiffed or wasn't able to get his one-timer through traffic. It's certainly powerful enough, and I believe it's pretty accurate, but he's got to get it up to a pro level. He also needs to get it off quicker, like too many players on the Avs he takes way too long to shoot. That will be the thing that ends up making or breaking him as an NHL player.

Yeah his shot is the only strength he has that truly sticks out to me. But because he isn’t a good skater or very big he can’t ever get any separation to get a clean shot off. Or as you said he just says to long.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

Sign Pavelski, have Pavelski teach Jost the ways of the ninja so that he too can disappear and appear magically in the perfect scoring position.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah his shot is the only strength he has that truly sticks out to me. But because he isn’t a good skater or very big he can’t ever get any separation to get a clean shot off. Or as you said he just says to long.

I'd like to see if a better system and/or better linemates would get him out in open ice and therefore able to do more. I think in games where he really stood out is when he started using more ice. Bednar's system emphasizes work along the boards and going high-low, and too often the forwards are stuck along the boards on either side of the net or on the half-wall. Jost is always gonna lose those battles along the boards. However, get some linemates who can win those battles instead of constantly throwing him out there with guys who are the same damned size and he can cheat out into a shooting lane and put away a nice feed or two. I would think Joe could actually put on some skates and maybe teach the kids how an open-ice cycle works. While he was obviously fast I don't think it's all about speed, it's about moving the puck fast and proper positioning. And Sakic pulled off stuff like that at the height of the clutch-and-grab era.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He had one season over 50 points. He's a good player but I'm higher on Jost than most. I think alot of people just have written him off too soon.

Zucker's like a rich man's Jimmothy though, he's always been a tremendous pain on the forecheck & has a serious nose for goal. So he may only have that one year over 50, but he's still a really nifty top 6 winger who'd fit very nicely.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Defensive Liability:

- Highest scoring Avalanche defenseman of all-time(299 points, Liles 2nd with 276)

- First Avalanche defenseman to have 5 seasons of 10 or more goals(Blake, Ozolinsh, Likes had 4)

- 1 goal away from tying Ozolinsh for career Avs goals by a defenseman(Ozo 72, DL 71)

- Since becoming an NHL regular in 2013/14, he ranks 9th in the league in defensemen points

- Since the lockout, DL ranks 5th in the league in defensemen points

So... hopefully, Sakic can avoid signing this liability to an extension and is able to return a forward that scores less than him. We can only hope there’s a sucker out there.

Here, here!!!!

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Defensive Liability:

- Highest scoring Avalanche defenseman of all-time(299 points, Liles 2nd with 276)

- First Avalanche defenseman to have 5 seasons of 10 or more goals(Blake, Ozolinsh, Likes had 4)

- 1 goal away from tying Ozolinsh for career Avs goals by a defenseman(Ozo 72, DL 71)

- Since becoming an NHL regular in 2013/14, he ranks 9th in the league in defensemen points

- Since the lockout, DL ranks 5th in the league in defensemen points

So... hopefully, Sakic can avoid signing this liability to an extension and is able to return a forward that scores less than him. We can only hope there’s a sucker out there.
I may be alone but I hope they actually keep him and let him move down the line up. This idea of constantly trading away players is getting old. At some point the Avs need to get drafting going in the right direction. Duchene had to go but I think Barrie is a no brainer to keep. I see Girard make muffin passes every game that lead to turnovers and no one says much. Makar, Girard and Barrie all on the back end to me is a huge positive for the Avs. Hopefully they find the offensive help they need through FA rather than at the expense of talent.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He will if Joe grows out a disgusting beard and confuses him into thinking he is re-signing with the Sharks.

Nah, if anything they'll sign him to a contract that'll take him right up to age 40, and 1-2 years down the road dramatically and publicly strip him of the captaincy so they can give it to the next guy they'll take it away from.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice to see others warming up to the Pavelski idea. Him and the Sharks probably find a way to make it work but if they don't then he might not be a bad option. He certainly wouldn't be Plan A and it'd need to be a short-term deal but he could help the Avs. Two years would be ideal and the Avs could easily give him a high AAV but anything more than that is pushing it. He'd allow Jack Hughes to ease into things a bit.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We talk about Zucker a lot I noticed. He's a good player but why do we think Minny would ever trade him in division to one of their biggest rivals in Colorado? I don't see it.

Reactions: Meeqs

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Don't want anything to do with 35 yo Pavelski on a brand new contract. People never learn.
37G and 26A this year....

Not only that he's got a really good number of games each season. He's been consistently healthy. I don't think him being on a 2-3 year contract would hurt the team and honestly if you watch him he looks like he's in his prime still.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
37G and 26A this year....

Not only that he's got a really good number of games each season. He's been consistently healthy. I don't think him being on a 2-3 year contract would hurt the team and honestly if you watch him he looks like he's in his prime still.
Remember Iggy in Boston? 31 G 30 A in a year where scoring was way lower than this year. Just in time for his 35+ contract.

Forwards not named Jagr fall off a cliff real fast once they hit their mid 30's. REAL fast.

Reactions: McMetal

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Zucker's like a rich man's Jimmothy though, he's always been a tremendous pain on the forecheck & has a serious nose for goal. So he may only have that one year over 50, but he's still a really nifty top 6 winger who'd fit very nicely.
That's a fine player but he's not someone I'd give up Jost for.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Remember Iggy in Boston? 31 G 30 A in a year where scoring was way lower than this year. Forwards fall off a cliff real fast once they hit their mid 30's. REAL fast.

A lot of Iggys decline had to do him also just not giving a f***. He looked like completely different player after he got traded. But yeah forwards drop off fast.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Remember Iggy in Boston? 31 G 30 A in a year where scoring was way lower than this year. Just in time for his 35+ contract.

Forwards not named Jagr fall off a cliff real fast once they hit their mid 30's. REAL fast.
Fair point. He just seems like he'd be a great fit here.

I also recall Calgary fans were seeing a decline in Iggy's play before he left though. I go to a good number of Sharks games and to me he looks like the same old Pavelski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad