Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXV|Landeskog: Maanmetsä???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So much this. I mean I’d take Drouin for free. He’s better than a lot of our forwards. But the whole junior connection thing is beyond annoying. Mackinnon certainly doesn’t need Drouin to succeed and Drouin player 3 years at Halifax and only a portion of one of those seasons was with Mackinnon. They both battled injuries at separate times in 11/12 which was the only season they spent together.

Jonathan Drouin is a skilled hockey player who is lazy and overpaid. If he comes cheap and can improve our lineup, go for it as a hockey trade. But it should have nothing to do with the 25-40 games they played together as teenagers in a bad league nearly a decade ago.
Didn’t like him in his draft year, and I like him even less know, especially given who the Habs traded to get him. Played a cute game I just didn’t see translating fully to the NHL, dangled players who skated like Guenin in cement shoes out on the perimeter.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Go for broke and go for Tyler Johnson in a one for one. I still think it will be Zadorov + Kerfoot for Drouin. And by think I mean wish.... and by wish I mean would actually cry because I love Zadorov.

Now we're talking. Get it done.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Didn’t like him in his draft year, and I like him even less know, especially given who the Habs traded to get him. Played a cute game I just didn’t see translating fully to the NHL, dangled players who skated like Guenin in cement shoes out on the perimeter.
I spent a good chunk of that year in Halifax. I liked Drouin. He was skilled. But I’ve seen those skilled guys year after year in the Q. I hadn’t seen a player like Mackinnon in the Q since Radulov and Rads was 20 years old compared to Mackinnon who was 17.

I never understood the Drouin vs Mackinnon argument in draft talks. It was completely fabricated from statistics. Mackinnon was a 1st OA, franchise type prospect while Drouin was imo a mid 1st type of talent. What his statistics in a no contact league did for his draft stock was crazy.

Reactions: Ivan13

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Have they ever really wanted Drouin?

Yeah... almost made a deal for him during the whole not playing in the minors saga. It simply wouldn't shock me to see Drouin with the Avs at some point. I'm certainly not a fan of his, but it checks a lot of boxes.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Plus acquiring Drouin may make Mack less upset when the Avs trade or do not re-sign Barrie. :sarcasm:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Kerfoot wouldn't last 3 games with Julien, I highly doubt he'd be part of that package. Zadorov I could see it, but I'm not sure what the add would have to be.

That said, swapping Z with Drouin makes us much smaller and even softer. It wouldn't be pretty.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
So much this. I mean I’d take Drouin for free. He’s better than a lot of our forwards. But the whole junior connection thing is beyond annoying. Mackinnon certainly doesn’t need Drouin to succeed and Drouin player 3 years at Halifax and only a portion of one of those seasons was with Mackinnon. They both battled injuries at separate times in 11/12 which was the only season they spent together.

Jonathan Drouin is a skilled hockey player who is lazy and overpaid. If he comes cheap and can improve our lineup, go for it as a hockey trade. But it should have nothing to do with the 25-40 games they played together as teenagers in a bad league nearly a decade ago.
I honestly see a Z for Drouin trade happening if management is set on shipping him out.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Plus acquiring Drouin may make Mack less upset when the Avs trade or do not re-sign Barrie. :sarcasm:

You guys talk like Mack and Drouin are great long-time friends. They are former junior teammates and that happened several years ago. Mack is probably much closer to any single guy in the current Avs room than he is to Drouin.

Bauhaus

Mar 29, 2019

Why? We would be left with
Old man EJ (and getting worse by the day)
Cole - See EJ
Makar - wow but young and inexperienced
Barrie
Nemth
Barbie
Graves - Yes please

We already have to consider replacing EJ. Not saying EJ would be gone but he isn't going to be top 2 much longer. Getting rid of Z would really hurt out defense.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You guys talk like Mack and Drouin are great long-time friends. They are former junior teammates and that happened several years ago. Mack is probably much closer to any single guy in the current Avs room than he is to Drouin.

They talk about it:

Stu Cowan: Jonathan Drouin and Nathan MacKinnon still have strong bond

Friend MacKinnon understands Drouin's dilemma

Avs shouldn't be trading for someone just because he's friends with MacKinnon but they clearly have a good relationship.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
FTR here, I'm not in support of trading Z unless he has large contract demands. That said, you can understand where he is on a teetering point with an organization. He's of the age where it should be clicking or not, yet he is still highly inconsistent. He has the pure talent to be a top 4 defensemen, but can't be relied upon. He is eligible for arbitration this summer (where teams never want to go). Has had a contract squabble. Other younger defensemen have passed or will look to pass his place on the depth chart limiting his role. I don't think the Avs should trade him unless he asks for more than $4m or longer than 4 years... but Z is at a point where orgs really tend to move on for better or for worse.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cole - See EJ
Barrie
Nemth
Barbie
Graves - Yes please

We already have to consider replacing EJ. Not saying EJ would be gone but he isn't going to be top 2 much longer. Getting rid of Z would really hurt out defense.

The really sad part about this is a 24 year old Zadorov, who is supposed to be entering his prime, has declined more since last season than old man injury prone EJ has. People are enamoured with the big hits and intimidation factor but he has been one of the biggest disappointments on the team.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Cole - See EJ
Barrie
Nemth
Barbie
Graves - Yes please

Girard?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The really sad part about this is a 24 year old Zadorov, who is supposed to be entering his prime, has declined more since last season than old man injury prone EJ has. People are enamoured with the big hits and intimidation factor but he has been one of the biggest disappointments on the team.

Personally I'm far from enamoured with Z but, in case you haven't noticed, he's literally the only one on this team who can help (in part) about the blatant physical abuse that we are receiving from bigger and meaner teams. Replace Kerfoot by Ferland and Ghetto by Greer and all of a sudden Z becomes expandable. Until then, we need him.

Reactions: Hornstar

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t care for Drouin but I wouldn’t really be upset if we traded Zadorov for him.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Its not about how close they are. I just think their games would mesh really well.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Let’s be honest though.

If we’re bringing in Drouin to play here, it’s not to elevate Mackinnons game.

It’s to hope Mackinnon can draw more out of Drouin than 50ish point seasons.

Because if Drouin keeps being who he is, than all we have is a rich mans Kerfoot in terms of overall contribution to the team. Not necessarily in terms of quality of player, but simply what results the Avs yield from having him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad