Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
In hindsight, the Avs probably shouldn't have gotten a 2nd line center, but they absolutely should have gotten a 3rd line center to stabilize the lineup and boot Soda up to be 2nd line center the whole damned year. Again, I can see why they didn't, but they probably should.
No hindsight is needed, it was very obvious from the start that the offense is garbage after the 1st line.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I don't see how the Avs can sit on their hands right now and let the season slip away. The perception would be different if they had been playing this poorly all year, but they were one of the better teams in hockey through November and early December. They're been one of the worst teams in hockey since then. The only saving grace is that the western conference is as weak as it's been in the last 5 years.

Through 47 games last year, the Avs had 57 points. This year through 47gp, only 50 points. We all know how close they were to NOT making it last year. Unless the Avs go on a hot streak here, I honestly can't see them making they playoffs. They have zero urgency in their game right now. They don't care until they're down 2-0.

Reactions: klozge

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
They need to figure out what the F they want to do with goaltending and do it now. This whole idea of having a 1a and 1b starter has proved to be a nightmare once again. Furthermore, if you're not going for it this year at least liquidate the assets if the team continues its freefall towards the deadline. All of Wilson, Andrighetto, Varlamov (unless our bipolar organization now decides to keep him, and honestly I'd trade him today why he still has some inkling of value) and Nemeth need to be traded if anyone is willing to give up a damn thing for them.

Also, if the freefall continues Bednar needs to be fired. No excuse for two horrific seasons and one decent one riding the coattails of the best line in hockey. Being a Habs fan I just laugh when people say he has nothing to work with. Look at the Habs roster, then look at ours. Julien would kill to have such talent at his disposal, but still, one team is playing good sound hockey punching above their weight with 57 points in 48 games, the other is at 50 in 47 losing games to the likes of Kings, Sens and Hawks.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
They need to figure out what the F they want to do with goaltending and do it now. This whole idea of having a 1a and 1b starter has proved to be a nightmare once again. Furthermore, if you're not going for it this year at least liquidate the assets if the team continues its freefall towards the deadline. All of Wilson, Andrighetto, Varlamov (unless our bipolar organization now decides to keep him, and honestly I'd trade him today why he still has some inkling of value) and Nemeth need to be traded if anyone is willing to give up a damn thing for them.

Also, if the freefall continues Bednar needs to be fired. No excuse for two horrific seasons and one decent one riding the coattails of the best line in hockey. Being a Habs fan I just laugh when people say he has nothing to work with. Look at the Habs roster, then look at ours. Julien would kill to have such talent at his disposal, but still, one team is playing good sound hockey punching above their weight with 57 points in 48 games, the other is at 50 in 47 losing games to the likes of Kings, Sens and Hawks.
And even back then it took team meeting without coach after team meeting without coach to get and keep the team going. The players' coach approach is not working for this team.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
If they did nothing else but swap Varlamov out for a half decent goaltender, I think it would be enough of a shakeup to stop the bleeding. Outside of a few games, the team has still played well during this stretch and have been continuously f***ed by goaltending. And even the bad games—teams will have bad games for one reason or another. Those are the games where you really need your goalie to step up and make a save once in a while. Our goalies haven’t been able to do that in good or bad games.

Move Varlamov out now for either another temporary measure like Bobrovsky, or spend pieces for someone like Quick, or just make room for Francouz to get a shot. Then use the deadline to assess the secondary scoring needs and how the market can help.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Tonight he's been bad, yes. And Barrie having bad games is nothing new. But the second he makes a bad play people pipe up like" see! See! He sucks trade him Nemeth is better "

Never saw that one. It would be like comparing Rantanen to Barrie... pretty stupid.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Nathan Beaulieu wouldn't bring anything to the Avs, would he? Apparently he's asked for a trade, since he hasn't played all that much this year with Buffalo so... Did I just answer my own question?

Reactions: dahrougem2

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

You are right, but you can't compare Bednar to the likes of Julien, or any other experienced coach because, most likely, we're not going to get one of those.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
How about Varlamov for Maroon. I really don’t think Varlamov hasn’t any value at this point, and I believe the Blues almost put Maroon on waivers at one point.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think replacing Varly or Grubauer will have much of a result for the rest of the season. Yes there have been a few soft goals but a lot of the goals that have been scored are cross ice passes and shots from point blank by forwards who have far too much time and space in front of our net. Right now team defense is fundamentally flawed and swaping a player here or there isnt going to make a dramatic change.

Reactions: klozge

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't think replacing Varly or Grubauer will have much of a result for the rest of the season. Yes there have been a few soft goals but a lot of the goals that have been scored are cross ice passes and shots from point blank by forwards who have far too much time and space in front of our net. Right now team defense is fundamentally flawed and swaping a player here or there isnt going to make a dramatic change.

Sakic has to make up his mind about Varlamov, if he is not going to re-sign him then i don't see the point on keeping him around with the way he is playing right now. Better trade him and let Francouz play in the NHL.

Reactions: Brett44

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Pretty much every conversation on this thread is stupid then.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad