Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This one flew under the radar, interesting that it happened just before the Calgary game.

It’s customary for visiting teams in the National Hockey League to heap praise on the home club. But rarely, if ever, do you hear a player outright suggest their opponent is superior, even when the standings confirm as much.

So there were a few raised eyebrows when Colorado Avalanche forward Nathan MacKinnon was asked to evaluate the Winnipeg Jets, and he offered up this little nugget:

"They’re so deep. They don’t have a weakness and that’s why they went to the conference finals last year. They’re one of the best teams in the league," MacKinnon said. "We’re not as good as Winnipeg but we can beat anyone any night… they’re a proven team and it’s going to be tough for us tonight."

MacKinnon likes look of deep Jets

----

I can see a direct link between Mack being mad and saying the night before that another team is better because they have better depth. Mack isn't a fool, he knows what's up.

It's laughable now to think that Mack could leave after this contract or ask for a trade down the road but Sakic better start helping him. Soon.

Not really. At least not for some of us here.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Still laughable for anyone to think MacKinnon will leave in five years based on what's happening now.

They could miss the playoffs the next two years and then win the Cup three years in a row. Nobody knows what this team will be like in the future, or what moves Sakic will make in the off season.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Still laughable for anyone to think MacKinnon will leave in five years based on what's happening now.

They could miss the playoffs the next two years and then win the Cup three years in a row.
Not now, but if we're still in this situation by the time his contract comes to an end? Not an ideal situation.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

They could miss the playoffs the next two years and then win the Cup three years in a row. Nobody knows what this team will be like in the future, or what moves Sakic will make in the off season.

The point is Mack isn't happy (as seen yesterday) and straight out said publicly the day before that another team's bottom 9 is better than the AVS'.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not now, but if we're still in this situation by the time his contract comes to an end? Not an ideal situation.

I just checked what the Avs will be like in five years. ;)

giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Lol I mean you're not wrong! But you can say that to either reinforce or dismiss the idea of MacKinnon leaving.

For the record I don't think he does, but I could see it if we really **** things up.

Absolutely. You can say it about Landy, Mikko, Sakic, McDavid, Matthews, and everyone else in the league though too.

I don't think there's much reason to think Sakic won't address the scoring depth on the Avs. He's intentionally been patient up until this off season where they will likely have a top 5 pick, and some really good UFA options to pursue, with plenty of cap room to offer them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The recent skid has put people in chicken little mode and the visible frustration last night doesn't help but everyone knows the upcoming summer is going to be important. MacKinnon obviously wants to take a step forward this season but he also knows the approach they're taking with this young team and is on board with it. Like he said though, he won't be patient for too much longer:

MacKinnon is ready to play his part. The way he sees things, Sakic purposefully stayed “patient” on the transaction wire this summer with an eye toward 2019. As such, MacKinnon is ready to ramp up his recruiting efforts, pitching big-ticket free agents on the year-round golf and super-chill GM. “I’ll be calling guys in the offseason,” he promises. “I don’t want to be patient for too much longer.”

I'm not going to worry about MacKinnon's future anytime soon but they need to be aggressive this offseason. Even if the best case scenario happens with the Sens pick, Sakic still needs to make a splash on top of that.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Even if the best case scenario happens with the Sens pick, Sakic still needs to make a splash on top of that.

Remember last summer when Mack was semi-joking about trying to lure good players here? He obviously wanted some help. Sakic gave him Grubauer and Calvert.

Personally it's not until today that I realized that Mack could be quite frustrated with the lack of help situation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I understand the concern with the team not panning out as hoped, but honestly what are the odds Sakic goes through next off season without adding a 2nd line scorer to go along with the forward he takes with his top 5 pick?

I think they're really low. He might even add two good forwards in addition to his top five pick.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I understand the concern with the team not panning out as hoped, but honestly what are the odds Sakic goes through next off season without adding a 2nd line scorer to go along with the forward he takes with his top 5 pick?

I think they're really low.
The thing is, the team that was "only" lacking a 2nd line a month ago is now also lacking a starting goalie and 2 top pairing defensemen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The thing is, the team that was "only" lacking a 2nd line a month ago is now also lacking a starting goalie and 2 top pairing defensemen.

Almost every team in the league has a hole in the lineup somewhere though. They have five years to do their best to fix them all. After this summer I think they'll be in as good a position as most teams going forward.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
The point is Mack isn't happy (as seen yesterday) and straight out said publicly the day before that another team's bottom 9 is better than the AVS'.

Look at their drafts as to why their bottom 9 is better. No failed 1st since forever plus some very useful players picked in the other rounds.

WPG draft history

Compare that to our pathetic drafts. Minus our idiot proof top 4 picks and Rantanen what have we produced?

Col draft history

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's not crazy or fantasy land stuff to think they could add Makar, a top five pick, and a top six forward this offseason. Stone might be unrealistic but there should be other good players available in free agency and on the trade market.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not crazy or fantasy land stuff to think they could add Makar, a top five pick, and a top six forward this offseason. Stone might be unrealistic but there should be other good players available in free agency and on the trade market.

In addition to any UFA's, trades, Makar and potentially Hughes/Kakko/Cozens, maybe Kaut and Timmins step in at some point next year and have solid seasons too. Bowers will probably spend the whole year in the minors or junior but you never know with him either. He'll get a look in training camp either way.

There should be a lot of help coming in the next year or two.

Reactions: Foppberg and Avs_19

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
You know what we should do? Now that MacK’s upset, possibly quite upset with the lack of help: Trade his best friend and one of the teams’ best defensman this offseason for a futures package and replace him with a rookie :popcorn:

They already traded ror and replaced him with ol patch eye

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

We're on a losing streak, people always go crazy :) No-one was saying these things a few months ago.

Reactions: Iceberg

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
People need to step off the ledge for a minute. This team is still in the first wildcard spot, and goaltending aside, are playing really good hockey right now.

Yes MacKinnon got frustrated last night, wouldn't you? He played one of his best games, if not his best game all year and they lost by giving up 16 shots. Either Grubauer or Varlamov needs to step up here, that's all there is to it.

edit:

Oh, and a trade for Quick would be something a team who has a small window would do. Do people not remember we have OTTs 1st, Makar, Timmins, Bowers, Kaut, COL 1st coming next year?? Why are we panicking, relax.
4-9-2 since Tampa. Defense is doing everything to help opponents score but throwing the puck into our net themselves. Our first line is playing really good hockey right now. That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad