Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sens really dont want the Avs getting a high pick, buying players as the 31st place team is a bold strategy. Even if it did only cost them a 6th rounder it's still incredibly dumb to do in Ottawa's position.

Removing Pyatt from the team might help them but overall I think it's a nothing trade. Nilsson has been almost as bad as McKenna and that's while playing for a better team.

Reactions: Meeqs

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The signs have really been there for people to see... but I was told this summer I was crazy for thinking it was happening. :help:
It’s crazy because I’m not seeing the physical signs. I’ve been preaching for years that EJ was going to age horribly and he’s proven me wrong year after year. Now this year he looks bad but his skating hasn’t taken even a slight step back imo. Every error seems to be a decision making one.

I’m hoping he gets some confidence and starts making better decisions out there because the physical breakdown is near as well. If we have a dumb, slow EJ on our back end we are in trouble.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’s crazy because I’m not seeing the physical signs. I’ve been preaching for years that EJ was going to age horribly and he’s proven me wrong year after year. Now this year he looks bad but his skating hasn’t taken even a slight step back imo. Every error seems to be a decision making one.

I’m hoping he gets some confidence and starts making better decisions out there because the physical breakdown is near as well. If we have a dumb, slow EJ on our back end we are in trouble.

I don't think EJ's outright speed has gotten worse, but his start-stop mobility and strength on his skate are starting to take a hit. He's no longer able to create that touch of extra space that allowed him the room to process the play... so he's getting rushed a bit more and with his level of hockey IQ, he has a tendency to make some bad plays. That is what I see as the issue. The spacing is no longer there and it causes him problems.

Now for the overall contention issue surrounding the defense. I think the Avs are going to have to just bite the bullet there and hope Makar becomes that guy. There isn't a surefire guy at the top of the draft this year (and the #2C need is so damn strong), that I don't think they can use the Sens pick there. The Avs' pick is unlikely to help in that area anytime soon. Same with the 2020 1st. So maybe Karlsson falls into the Avs' lap on July 1st... or you bet on Makar being that player. If he isn't, they will have to bundle up every top non-NHL asset and spend it on one.

Reactions: lonelybadger

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Sens really dont want the Avs getting a high pick, buying players as the 31st place team is a bold strategy. Even if it did only cost them a 6th rounder it's still incredibly dumb to do in Ottawa's position.

Not only are they in last but I think they are one of the highest PDO teams in the league as well. The volume of shots and chances they give up is insane and if they trade off one of their UFA's they will see a sharp drop as well. Its honestly a surprise they have done as well as they have to this point

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just want an avalanche trade...

Joe Sakic is the wrong GM for you :laugh:

I think we're gonna be a busy team at the deadline though. Wouldn't even surprise me if we both bought and sold. Could see us unloading Andrighetto, Varly, and Possibly Nemeth for some picks and prospects. And then flipping some of those future assets along with some of our own for some legit 2nd line help in the form of Hayes or Stone.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto

I think we're gonna be a busy team at the deadline though. Wouldn't even surprise me if we both bought and sold. Could see us unloading Andrighetto, Varly, and Possibly Nemeth for some picks and prospects. And then flipping some of those future assets along with some of our own for some legit 2nd line help in the form of Hayes or Stone.

I can see this too, the Avs are in the awkward spot of should be a playoff team but has 0 expectations. Will most likely only buy a big fish that fits long term, but could sell those fringe guys or not so future proof guys like ghetto, nemeth, varlamov and maybe soda.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

They're unloading Varly going into the playoffs? I don't see any way that happens with the way Grubauer has played lately.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Injured varlamov vs grubauer.... hmmm

I'm not saying they won't play Grubauer as the starter if he's earned it, or if Varly's injured, but I have a hard time seeing the Avs just dump Varly at the deadline. If Varly is injured, no one is trading for him.

This is the same team that added Berra and Salo at the deadline as 3rd stringers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Grubauer has been the better goalie for more than a month now.

I don't agree with that at all. Varly had a few soft games in a row, but then so did Grubauer.

Varly's last two games were better than Grubauer's last three games. Grubuer gave up iffy goals in each of those three games.

Reactions: klozge

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't agree with that at all. Varly had a few soft games in a row, but then so did Grubauer.

Varly's last two games were better than Grubauer's last three games. Grubuer gave up iffy goals in each of those three games.

Varly gave up 3 goals on 15 shots last game and was to blame on at least one of them. Something something rose colored glasses.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I just want an avalanche trade...

Avs have been so active for the past decade its probably weird seeing the team just naturally develop from within haha.

Where the Avs are in the playoff hunt probably determines which and when moves are made but I think they still hold the longest streak of years with a move on the TDL.

If a trade does happen who would the most likely guys be? Probably Nemeth, Barrie, Varly or Greer.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They're unloading Varly going into the playoffs? I don't see any way that happens with the way Grubauer has played lately.

I think a trade is unlikely to happen simply due to the goalie trade market always being weird. If the Avs are in a playoff spot they will keep him for goalie depth as there is no way they want a repeat of what happened last year, even if they don't plan on resigning him and each new injury probably only makes that more likely.

While I think Varly has been the better goalie this season, as of lately Grubby has been the better of the 2. This could be due to said injury though

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs are always good for a change of scenery trade or two. Beyond that I don't think they will be too active. They might swing for a 2nd line center if the opportunity is there, but I don't expect Sakic to pull the trigger.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The Avs are always good for a change of scenery trade or two. Beyond that I don't think they will be too active. They might swing for a 2nd line center if the opportunity is there, but I don't expect Sakic to pull the trigger.
And by 2nd line Center, are we pretty much exclusively talking about Hayes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->