Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
NYR were not willing to go to where Hayes wanted long-term, and Hayes was completely willing to go through arbitration to hit UFA early. Takes two to tango... and similar to ROR, the Rags didn't find Hayes to be worth what he was asking. ROR wasn't a worse player because he wanted to maximize value as quick as possible. Hayes is a pretty damn good player... I don't think he is the answer to a #2C spot here, but is certainly a significant upgrade to what the Avs have now.

Anisimov is regressing pretty hard.
What are your thoughts on Schenn? Too pricey for what he brings, or would he be better than Hayes in the 2C slot?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
NYR were not willing to go to where Hayes wanted long-term, and Hayes was completely willing to go through arbitration to hit UFA early. Takes two to tango... and similar to ROR, the Rags didn't find Hayes to be worth what he was asking. ROR wasn't a worse player because he wanted to maximize value as quick as possible. Hayes is a pretty damn good player... I don't think he is the answer to a #2C spot here, but is certainly a significant upgrade to what the Avs have now.

This. Hayes is very good. Anisimov not so much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What are your thoughts on Schenn? Too pricey for what he brings, or would he be better than Hayes in the 2C slot?

Schenn isn't a good center... he can play there, but he isn't going to play there on a good team. He is a 55-60 point winger on a team that has Cup ambitions IMO.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Schenn isn't a good center... he can play there, but he isn't going to play there on a good team. He is a 55-60 point winger on a team that has Cup ambitions IMO.
That's too bad. If he was a decent center, he'd be pretty damn good here. Hopefully the Avs can swing something for Zibanejad, otherwise I'm content with them staying out of the trade market.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Also. Big time on paying anything for Tank. Avs have a bunch of good prospects/pieces that they can/should package for elite players as they become available.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Tarasenko and Pietrangelo for EJ (contract reasons), Kerfoot, Makar, Kaut and Ottawa’s first and Colorado’s first.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
NYR were not willing to go to where Hayes wanted long-term, and Hayes was completely willing to go through arbitration to hit UFA early. Takes two to tango... and similar to ROR, the Rags didn't find Hayes to be worth what he was asking. ROR wasn't a worse player because he wanted to maximize value as quick as possible. Hayes is a pretty damn good player... I don't think he is the answer to a #2C spot here, but is certainly a significant upgrade to what the Avs have now. If you want Hayes for 4 or 5 years, you're looking at a 6.5m cap hit. I'd rather not go that route personally, but I think Hayes can be an okay #2c for the whole duration of that contract.

Makes you wonder...why they weren't willing to go long-term since he's only 26??? Actually it doesn't...it's for the exact same reason you listed right after. Regardless of the $$$ cap hit amount he'd be looking at, my expectations are that long-term, we are going to need a better #2C than Kevin Hayes if we want to win.

Sure he might be an upgrade now but 2 years from now, that's a contract that's blocking someone else. Big no on Hayes from me, personally.

Anisimov wouldn't be brought in to play #2C though, not under my plan. If Bednar would ever get around to giving Soderberg decent wingers in the #2C spot, Anisimov would help out on the 3rd line. It's a two year commitment and then we move forward with our youth...that's the key part of it.

Honest question. Mikko’s Contract getting into the 10+ aav with this season or is it still feasible to get him for like 7 or 8 long term?

I think Mikko will get the Kucherov deal ($9.5M) if he hits around 100 pts. If he hits 125-130 pts...that's going to be a crazy contract.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anisimov was slow to begin with and now he's getting old. Not to mention he's worse than Eric Lindros ever was about leaving his head down and leaving himself vulnerable for big hits. No thanks. Avs don't need a guy who projects as a 3C at most right now.

I think Hayes would provide some versatility. Is he a legit 2C? IMO...no. But I've warmed to the idea he could be a decent winger or 3rd line center on a good team. And I think he'd be a fantastic asset for the power play. Either have him rocketing bombs from distance or muck it up in front of the net. They need a guy like that.

Is there anyone on Florida worth looking at? I get the feeling they're looking to shake things up big-time very soon.

Reactions: shadow1

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Makes you wonder...why they weren't willing to go long-term since he's only 26??? Actually it doesn't...it's for the exact same reason you listed right after. Regardless of the $$$ cap hit amount he'd be looking at, my expectations are that long-term, we are going to need a better #2C than Kevin Hayes if we want to win.

Sure he might be an upgrade now but 2 years from now, that's a contract that's blocking someone else. Big no on Hayes from me, personally.

Coming in from the Rangers boards. The thing with Hayes is that after last season, we still didn't really know what we had in him. He did a really good job in a shutdown 2C role last year and his offense seemed to be improving, but it was an open question as to whether that was real or just short sample. This season, he seems to have solidified the kind of player he is... a very solid 2C who brings strong D to the equation. Barring something unforseen, he will hit 50 points this year, which is towards the top of 2C production.

But, going back to the contract... would you give a long-term deal to someone who still had open questions about his identity? Beyond that question, there's this one: the Rangers are rebuilding. Is a solid 2C worth keeping on a large deal when the team isn't going to be contending for a few years anyway? By the time they do, he might be in the beginnings of a decline. Compared to getting another shot at drafting and developing a high-end player (via a 1st and a solid prospect), it's a matter of approach. I'm all for trading him, but there's a lot of the Rangers board that wants to keep him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Anisimov wouldn't be brought in to play #2C though, not under my plan. If Bednar would ever get around to giving Soderberg decent wingers in the #2C spot, Anisimov would help out on the 3rd line. It's a two year commitment and then we move forward with our youth...that's the key part of it.

New York is in the midst of a rebuild, and Hayes (nor Zibi) are a part of the long-term future in the top 9 center spots. They don't want to pay Hayes that amount when they will be aged out when their core players are ready. It isn't that Hayes sucks, or isn't worth taking a long-term deal on. But more around Hayes will be 28-29 when their core is fully ready to go and getting ready to age out. They'd rather build around players in their early 20s, not late.

Soda's contract isn't blocking the young players from the revolving door on the 2nd line now... why would Hayes when Soda's spot opens up? When Soda is gone, Hayes would move down to the #3C spot and by that time likely around the same percentage of cap that Soda was when he signed.

I've stated it before that I'm not behind the Hayes acquisition, but Hayes checks a number of boxes for the Avs. He's a #2C, he's defensively responsible, adds size, drives production, he's young enough to grow with the team during the whole next contract, he's a player the Avs have been known to like, he's versatile not only in role, but position... Along with that, the Avs will need to be adding 2 middle 6 centers by the summer of 2020 (Soda's contract is up), Hayes solves one and potentially the harder one allowing a prospect to develop into the other, potentially surpassing him. I'm not advocating, but it wouldn't shock me in the least to see the Avs pick him up either this year, or next summer.

With Anisimov... first, I think it is a lot of wishful thinking that Bednar ever gives Soda good linemates. We are in the 3rd season of this, it isn't changing. Second, there are better #3C stop gap options than Anisimov... he's a fine player and he has been underrated for years, but he always finds a way to get injured and he is an average #3C at this point... maybe a touch worse.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Coming in from the Rangers boards. The thing with Hayes is that after last season, we still didn't really know what we had in him. He did a really good job in a shutdown 2C role last year and his offense seemed to be improving, but it was an open question as to whether that was real or just short sample. This season, he seems to have solidified the kind of player he is... a very solid 2C who brings strong D to the equation. Barring something unforseen, he will hit 50 points this year, which is towards the top of 2C production.

But, going back to the contract... would you give a long-term deal to someone who still had open questions about his identity? Beyond that question, there's this one: the Rangers are rebuilding. Is a solid 2C worth keeping on a large deal when the team isn't going to be contending for a few years anyway? By the time they do, he might be in the beginnings of a decline. Compared to getting another shot at drafting and developing a high-end player (via a 1st and a solid prospect), it's a matter of approach. I'm all for trading him, but there's a lot of the Rangers board that wants to keep him.

I wouldn't and I doubt Sakic would either, which would make him a pure rental. In that case, his price would not be that high from the Avs, but maybe the Rangers could fetch a first round pick, a youngish NHL player with upside, and/or a blue chip prospect from some other organization.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If we’re going to use a first to acquire a player I’d much rather use it on Schenn than Hayes. I like Hayes, but he wants to play out East. It will be tough to sign him.

Plus Schenn is better at hockey, has more term and is already part of the Mackinnon/Barrie bromance.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't and I doubt Sakic would either, which would make him a pure rental. In that case, his price would not be that high from the Avs, but maybe the Rangers could fetch a first round pick, a youngish NHL player with upside, and/or a blue chip prospect from some other organization.

That was in reference to where the thinking was over the summer. It's not an open question anymore.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If we’re going to use a first to acquire a player I’d much rather use it on Schenn than Hayes. I like Hayes, but he wants to play out East. It will be tough to sign him.

Plus Schenn is better at hockey, has more term and is already part of the Mackinnon/Barrie bromance.

There are plenty of issues you can discuss, but I 100% promise, it wouldn't be hard to sign Hayes.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's never hard to sign a player if they're interested in your team and you meet what they're asking for. We know Hayes was interested in the Avs before, they just didn't meet what he was looking for. This time it's only money though, as opposed to the other matters college FA's look for in terms of bonuses, roles, and guarantees.

I like Hayes but I don't know if it's smart to give up a ton of assets for a guy who won't address the #2C issue. They have plenty of guys that could potentially fill the #3C role in Bowers, Compher, Kamenev, and even Jost. It's also something they can fill in UFA if need be. Maybe even with Hayes.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just don't feel that Hayes moves the needle enough in our bottom nine to really be worth talking about. Zibi, sure, but Hayes? More of the same IMO, minor upgrade at best that pushes a scrub down but doesn't raise our ceiling.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just don't feel that Hayes moves the needle enough in our bottom nine to really be worth talking about. Zibi, sure, but Hayes? More of the same IMO, minor upgrade at best that pushes a scrub down but doesn't raise our ceiling.

He’s a short term fix for the 2C spot right now and a soda replacement. But is that worth giving up much in a trade for? Nah. Not really.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Hayes seems like such an Avs-esque move, though. Guy they liked in the past? Yes. Sort of fills a spot on the roster? Yes. A noticeable move, but not too bold or risky, and that only costs picks and / or prospects (sort of like an upgraded version of Boedker)? Yep.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He’s a short term fix for the 2C spot right now and a soda replacement. But is that worth giving up much in a trade for? Nah. Not really.
Why replace Soda? He's got a year and a half left on his deal, and we ought to have some center prospects coming up to replace him by then from within unless our development system completely bombs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ya know, just because you get Hayes now doesn't mean Soda has to be on the next plane out. They can be teammates for a while. They could even be linemates!

But I think he fills a need for a center with size and two-way ability that Soda provides, and I still think he'll be moved before his deal with the Avs expires. For what, I have no idea, but I think Hayes would be an upgrade on Soda...though he'll obviously cost more too.

The question is what NY would be asking for. If they want a first rounder or top prospect then no, but I don't want to speculate beyond that.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Why replace Soda? He's got a year and a half left on his deal, and we ought to have some center prospects coming up to replace him by then from within unless our development system completely bombs.

I mean he’s that type of player. I don’t think he should be the soda replacement but he’d be a safe bet to be a good 2nd/3rd line C/W for us. I’m not advocating for Hayes just pointing up some of the reasons I can see be Avs being interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad