Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Blues can't blow it all up, not after trading their 1st to Buffalo. Its much more likely that Armstrong makes some desperation move to try to save the team and his job.

He should've been fired the moment the team realized that Yeo! MTV Raps isn't that great a coach. I wonder if the franchise will let him mess with this roster. They shouldn't BTW.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
The Kings won’t pull the plug because they welded the plug into the socket with all those long term deals.

Their best hope is tanking and hoping they can get a franchise player that can carry the geriatrics into contention.
They should trade Doughty , Kopitar and Quick.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They should trade Doughty , Kopitar and Quick.
Easier said than done. They have a business to run, after all, those names sell tickets and jerseys, and that's important when a team is on a slide. In a perfect world, yes, that's what they should do and get a boatload of high end end futures. But that's not so easy to sell to ownership.

Reactions: Murzu

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Easier said than done. They have a business to run, after all, those names sell tickets and jerseys, and that's important when a team is on a slide. In a perfect world, yes, that's what they should do and get a boatload of high end end futures. But that's not so easy to sell to ownership.
I know but in reality they could get a haul
and turn it around .
I actually think those 3 are all overrated.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Philly with Carter and Richards. Both trades turned out awesome for them as well.

Oh, I don't know if either of those trades was "awesome," those two players you mention went on to win two Cups as opposed to the zero the Flyers have had, and while they got a whole boatload of good players outta both deals, they've effectively managed to waste a few of them with Brayden Schenn gone (though they parlayed him into Joel Farabee) and Wayne Simmonds likely headed out the door this season. Voracek is a hell of a player but he too isn't exactly young anymore.

That wasn't a dismantling either, that was the most impatient, impetuous franchise in the NHL effectively gutting an elite roster when they could've just quietly stayed pat with their goaltending and been just fine.

Philly should be an abject lesson for those saying the Avs should "go for it" this season. I don't advocate they drag their feet like the Hurricanes have all these years but it's no mistake that a number of key players on recent Cup-winning teams (Sharp, Williams, Richards, Carter) were former Flyers.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Oh, I don't know if either of those trades was "awesome," those two players you mention went on to win two Cups as opposed to the zero the Flyers have had, and while they got a whole boatload of good players outta both deals, they've effectively managed to waste a few of them with Brayden Schenn gone (though they parlayed him into Joel Farabee) and Wayne Simmonds likely headed out the door this season. Voracek is a hell of a player but he too isn't exactly young anymore.

That wasn't a dismantling either, that was the most impatient, impetuous franchise in the NHL effectively gutting an elite roster when they could've just quietly stayed pat with their goaltending and been just fine.

Philly should be an abject lesson for those saying the Avs should "go for it" this season. I don't advocate they drag their feet like the Hurricanes have all these years but it's no mistake that a number of key players on recent Cup-winning teams (Sharp, Williams, Richards, Carter) were former Flyers.
1. Value wise they were awesome, you can argue they would’ve won a cup had they not made the trades but there’s no way to know. What came in was greater than what went out, regardless of what they later did with the players.

2. You say it wasn’t a dismantling, but then say it was a gutting. Philly did exactly what you described, a team that had recent cup aspirations that blew it up and traded their two best players before their window officially closed. I didn’t say it was a great idea, just wanted to give an example for what you said would never happen. It’s rare but it has happened.

3. The Avs going for it this year wouldn’t at all be analogous to what Philly did, it would be the exact opposite. The Avs going for it this year would be what the Kings did actually, a team nobody had as cup contenders trading for two impact players. That’s not at all what Philly did. Again not saying this is what the Avs should do, just pointing out the misconception.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
1. Value wise they were awesome, you can argue they would’ve won a cup had they not made the trades but there’s no way to know. What came in was greater than what went out, regardless of what they later did with the players.

2. You say it wasn’t a dismantling, but then say it was a gutting. Philly did exactly what you described, a team that had recent cup aspirations that blew it up and traded their two best players before their window officially closed. I didn’t say it was a great idea, just wanted to give an example for what you said would never happen. It’s rare but it has happened.

3. The Avs going for it this year wouldn’t at all be analogous to what Philly did, it would be the exact opposite. The Avs going for it this year would be what the Kings did actually, a team nobody had as cup contenders trading for two impact players. That’s not at all what Philly did. Again not saying this is what the Avs should do, just pointing out the misconception.

That's fair, I just always frame that Philly gutting as a major retool that was borne of impatience, not a team pulling the plug. I think there's a difference. I was more looking for a team stripping it down before their core really hit the skids...like if Chicago had decided to deal both Toews and Kane before they signed both to those enormous deals.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Buffalo has the blues 1st? They are starting to look like Colorado East
Same conditions as the Dutch Trade, but no way Saint Louis passes on a Top Ten pick in this draft to defer for a weaker draft next year and i’m Sure the Blues think they can rebound next year.

I think a solid goalie a least gets them up to mediocrity.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Same conditions as the Dutch Trade, but no way Saint Louis passes on a Top Ten pick in this draft to defer for a weaker draft next year and i’m Sure the Blues think they can rebound next year.

I think a solid goalie a least gets them up to mediocrity.
They are definitely good on paper, but the playoffs are sloping away. They need a huge streak to get back in it

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
St Louis could be back next season, they just have to shed Bouwmeester and Steen and find some replacement in the system or in FA. Plus find a goalie in the free market. It's not LA bad.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
St Louis could be back next season, they just have to shed Bouwmeester and Steen and find some replacement in the system or in FA. Plus find a goalie in the free market. It's not LA bad.

If Steen is not playing for the Yotes sometime in the next season from now, I would be shocked. One of those back-diving contracts they love.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I’m talking about next season with an unconditional 1st going to Buffalo.

I believe STL will rebound. They have decent players in the pipeline and need to shed a few salaries along with getting a good goalie. Just remember, they just missed the playoffs against the AVs last season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's house money for Buffalo at this point. I could see Blues improving to make the pick 11th-15th. If not, Sabres can just hope Central Division being Central Division next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad