Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
True but you can get rock solid later in the top 40. And if you hoard picks / prospects for a minute you’ll have the ammo to go out & grab a ROR, Zibby, or EJ.

So yeah the Rags need a couple elite talents, but the lotto gods are fickle. If they spend another two years with bottom 10 records they could have the high end talent & the depth of good-to-really good talent. Nevermind if they get a Girard out of one of their SRPs.

Let’s say that around the TDL we trade our 1st, Timmins and a conditional first that becomes a second if we miss the playoffs next year for Zibby. But end up picking 5th or 6th with their own pick. Add a FRP for Kreider & maybe one for Hayes, throw a brinks truck at Panarin in the summer, collect another top 10 pick next year, and there could be something brewing there if they don’t waste their picks.

Well they did sell even being on the line last year. I guess we'll see if they do it again.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well they got lucky with McD, Stepan, and Hank.. But it didn't win them a cup, and they were never able to trade for or sign that impact star who still had mileage left. Richards and Nash being the obvious reference there. I'm just not sure they're going to avoid the same fate unless they draft the right players top five for a couple of years.

Fair, but having Hank around makes it hard for them to bottom out for too long. And they're not going to trade him, so there's only so much they can do until he retires.

It helps that I like Chytil, Buchnevich & Skjei quite a bit...and that doesn't mean I don't like any of their other kids. With Timmins and 3-4 extra firsts over these next two drafts joining that young core, Hank, Shatty & the breadman; that's something potentially interesting...at worst it would give them a lot of ammo to sell off again once Hank does retire & allow them to truly tank lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I didn't say they were. It's just something, as henchy pointed out the other day I believe, to keep in mind. The time at the top can be pretty brief given the parity in the league and you sort of have to capture the opportunity for success when it presents itself and turn it into something meaningful.

I'm guessing the Blues back in the early 2010s looked at their quality veterans, looked at their rising young stars in Pietrangelo, Schwartz, and Tarasenko, and thought they were set for a pretty long time. Now they've gone through a couple coaches, they still haven't won anything in the playoffs, and Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Pietrangelo are suddenly in their prime seasons right now.

I agree with your point but I also agree with Sea Eagles about players like Kerfoot and Zadorov being 'core' players because they fill a particular role well (hopefully at a particularly good value).

I'm hoping the Avs should start seriously contending for the SC in 2-3 years and l have at least a 3-5 year SC window.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are a year and a half from knowing exactly what they have and what needs to be done to take them where they need to be if the current group and Kaut, Makar, Timmins, 2019 picks and so on is not enough.

I get you can't sit on your hands forever, but Avs are still taking their first baby steps coming out of a rebuild.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I agree with your point but I also agree with Sea Eagles about players like Kerfoot and Zadorov being 'core' players because they fill a particular role well (hopefully at a particularly good value).

I'm hoping the Avs should start seriously contending for the SC in 2-3 years and l have at least a 3-5 year SC window.

2-3 years is too late. I give them this season. That's it.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Avs are a year and a half from knowing exactly what they have and what needs to be done to take them where they need to be if the current group and Kaut, Makar, Timmins, 2019 picks and so on is not enough.

I get you can't sit on your hands forever, but Avs are still taking their first baby steps coming out of a rebuild.

I understand the need to get a better view of Makar and Kaut at the NHL level (Timmins is on the back burner right now until his health situation becomes clearer), but I am not sure I agree that the Avs should take another season and a half to evaluate. It seems to me that they will have a fairly decent idea about the needs at forward by next summer and they may want to look at addressing an upgrade for the second line at that time. The 2019 first round picks are unlikely (possible, but unlikely) to make much of an NHL impact during the 2019-2020 season.

It is a fine line between rushing things and waiting too long to take advantage of some of the talent that exists currently on the roster.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If they land Kakko or Hughes with the Sens pick it's tough to see them doing any big moves. Especially if the kid line of Jost, Kerf and Jimothy continues to play well.

As for Jimothy, if he had better hands he'd be a sure fire 1st liner. Kid has the speed, great shot, good IQ etc. Will be the best piece we got for ROR.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If they land Kakko or Hughes with the Sens pick it's tough to see them doing any big moves. Especially if the kid line of Jost, Kerf and Jimothy continues to play well.

As for Jimothy, if he had better hands he'd be a sure fire 1st liner. Kid has the speed, great shot, good IQ etc. Will be the best piece we got for ROR.

Sure, I would agree with that, but I think it is unlikely that occurs.

Reactions: Ivan13

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Hmmm, I get what you are saying, but where does a club draw that proverbial line in the sand between bringing in extra talent, and developing what they have?

Here's what I mean by the risks of change:
One of my favorite players on this time. Alexander Kerfoot. I got told all off season how his best was on show, and that he should be traded for something better. Aren't we all glad this didn't happen? Kid has 17 points in 22 games - on track for 64 points. Hey, I was also in the boat that I was happy with our entire team, but needed that second line fixed, so I've some what changed by tune there as well.

Do you trade a "young" D-man like Barrie (who adds SO much to our team - right now), for potential in Timmins / Makar, so you can move a potential 64 points 2nd line center for someone like Nylander, commanding 8M per, who'd score similar points? Heck, I stated Kerfoot put up similar numbers to Skinner last season, which is why he should have been given much more respect by our hockey audience, but I was laughed at. VERY under rated player. Kid has both skill, and wheels (but is also great defensively).

Okay, how about this. I'd be happy upgrading "supplementary" players rather than core players, to improve the team. The issue I have with that, is what is core, and what is supplementary? Unlike most, I think guys like Kerfoot, Kamenev, Compher, Zadorov are core, as well as the typical players everyone else would normally say. The reason I say that, is these players play particular roles, and do it bloody well. They are easily replaced I hear people say. But do these new players have the chemistry with the team like our existing ones do.

I go back to the fact that our team was once motoring along at one point. We got over excited, traded Downie, and brought in Comeau. Both great (in my opinion) players in their own rights and roles, but it began our slide in my view. If Sakic just held the group together back then, I think we take that next step.

Again, I get what your saying, and agree on many levels. But it's a fine line Avs44. Tinker, great (i.e. Cole in, Lindholm back to minors, Barbs 7th guy), but don't go crazy. I do still think The Blues have had too much change, but we can agree to disagree on that.
I agree with Kerfoot. I think we could cotend for a cup while Kerfoot playing a role in our top 6, I really don’t feel the same with the other guys (atleast rn)
Unless we get a Hughes or Kakko I’d be more than willing to move a few future pieces for immediate help. Or sign a Stone/Panarin or even a guy like eberle.

Either way like others have stated I really think it’s time to go all in. Realistically we’re probably only going to have MacKinnon play at this level for around 5 or 6 more years (hope it’s longer) and we don’t even know how Landy will hold up. I’m a bit scared his game might fall off a cliff like Lucic once he reaches a certain point.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
It’ll never, ever happen but it would be something if a team someday realizes their window has closed and starts dismantling while their star players are still in demand.
Philly with Carter and Richards. Both trades turned out awesome for them as well.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Looking at the bottom feeders Stone piques my interest, but I'd totally want an extension with him.

Dorion also making that crap deal for Karlson after Doug Wilson already clowned him fronting for the Panthers on Hoffman has me chomping at the bit to have Sakic go back for seconds on the Senators.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Usually teams are making a bigger mistake adding players (through trades and free agency) for too long than making a mistake not trading players early enough.

Just look at Blues. Now that their window is closing they add Maroon, Perron, O'Reilly and Bozak. Adding quality should have happened four years ago when they added Stastny and still had Backes, Oshie and Steen/Bouwmeester still were good.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Could always just go all in on Tarasenko as well. Seems like there's been quiet speculation for a while now that the Blues might not be happy with him and with where they are in the standings right now...

He's a player I'd offer one of Makar/Ottawa 1st for. Imagine having a trigger guy like that on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
There would be actual riots in St. Louis if they traded Tarasenko to Kroenke's team. Like Armstrong would be burned at the stake.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's a nice pipe dream for sure but no, the Blues would never trade their franchise player to a division rival, much less the same division rival that took them out in the 2001 Western Conference Final. And as someone else deftly pointed out, ain't no way they gonna trade him to a team owned by Stan Kroenke.

Blues, Kings, and Blackhawks are all in an interesting quandary. I don't think any of them will actually "pull the plug" but there's probably a huge trade or two that could happen. I doubt Tarasenko ends up being the odd man out. I mean, if yer not building around him, who are you building around?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Blues can't blow it all up, not after trading their 1st to Buffalo. Its much more likely that Armstrong makes some desperation move to try to save the team and his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad