Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIII| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I was laughed at for claiming Barrie was an elite D-man. I bet if anyone asked an opposition player, they'd agree with me.

Barrie is an ideal quarterback. Having Girard then come in in the next shift. It's just ruthless.

Still say the only thing we need, is to get that 2nd line improved. Do that through the draft/free agency.

The duchene reunion!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The duchene reunion!

foote7ucpm2.gif

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The duchene reunion!

While I don't think it'll happen how hilarious would that be. They could make an Oceans 11 movie outta it.

Personally I just really hope where ever he goes he is able to find a spot on a competitive team where he can play with good line mates. He's a great person and poured his heart and soul into plenty of Avs years where he was surrounded by garbage. He never really got a fair shot here and I totally understand him not wanting to be part of a rebuild any longer when he asked for the move. Will always love the guy as a player and wish him the best (but not in the Ott finding any success this year kinda way haha)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
While I don't think it'll happen how hilarious would that be. They could make an Oceans 11 movie outta it.

Personally I just really hope where ever he goes he is able to find a spot on a competitive team where he can play with good line mates. He's a great person and poured his heart and soul into plenty of Avs years where he was surrounded by garbage. He never really got a fair shot here and I totally understand him not wanting to be part of a rebuild any longer when he asked for the move. Will always love the guy as a player and wish him the best (but not in the Ott finding any success this year kinda way haha)

xBI5MNM.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's not ridiculous to say that. The Avs did an abhorrently lousy job building around Duchene and O'Reilly. Now, you can argue that those two guys were not the right two guys to build around and that both players played a part in their respective acrimonious departures, but you can't say the Avs did everything they could to build a winner around that 2009 draft class.

Reactions: McMetal

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Matt Duchene played 9 seasons for the Avalanche, 7 of those as the 1st line centre.

He had MORE than enough chances to succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5280 and CB Joe

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Matt Duchene played 9 seasons for the Avalanche, 7 of those as the 1st line centre.

What does THAT have to do with anything!? Just because he played on the top line it doesn't matter who his linemates were, who the goalie was, or who was on defense, or even the coach!?

One could argue (and I will) that he never had an actually good coach until the very end of his tenure with the team. The organization drafted like absolute garbage the whole time he was with the club, and made a great number of spurrious decisions with trades and free agency. And say what you will about the guy but he never once made a fuss about his salary or the role he played within the club.

Look, I'm not saying the Avs would have absolutely succeeded with better players around him, maybe he really wasn't The Guy (personally I still think he could be), but whatever the case you can't seriously say the Avs did a good job building a team around him, because by any objective measure, they failed miserably in that department.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It's not ridiculous to say that. The Avs did an abhorrently lousy job building around Duchene and O'Reilly. Now, you can argue that those two guys were not the right two guys to build around and that both players played a part in their respective acrimonious departures, but you can't say the Avs did everything they could to build a winner around that 2009 draft class.
There wasn't a whole lot more they could do. When the Avs drafted Duchene the system was bare. The Avs had to fill the system and the NHL lines at the same time. They simply didn't have the assets to build and sustain a competitive team.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I think the point was management did a horrible job building a team around him. And they are right. We never had a competent defence and good wingers. Ror was his best winger and he was a converted C. I'm against bringing him back but I dont think @Pokecheque is that wrong here.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
There wasn't a whole lot more they could do. When the Avs drafted Duchene the system was bare. The Avs had to fill the system and the NHL lines at the same time. They simply didn't have the assets to build and sustain a competitive team.
They could have drafted better and gained assets that way..

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

That's not the argument. The fact the Avalanche were ridiculously bad at drafting and developing talent before and during Duchene's tenure is not on Duchene. If they addressed depth issues by trading both him and O'Reilly, great, but that doesn't mean they didn't outright fail in a lot of areas while both players were in Denver. The "Cubbard" wasn't bare because of Duchene, or even O'Reilly.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
They could have drafted better and gained assets that way..
Sure, but it's not the simple to just improve drafting. Also some of those picks were spent on getting assets to improve the team like EJ and Varly.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sure, but it's not the simple to just improve drafting. Also some of those picks were spent on getting assets to improve the team like EJ and Varly.

Again, you seem to be missing the point. This is not about whether they could or could not have turned the ship around in terms of drafting after getting Duchene (though a lot of teams, like Pittsburgh and Washington, seemed to figure it out after tanking it to get their top players). The fact remains that they failed to do so in the near-decade Duchene was with the team. Pracey bumbled his way through draft after draft until he was rightfully shitcanned in 2014. That's not on Duchene, and that's the argument.

He was saddled with a rotating cast of linemates, a terrible blueline that was still terrible even with the additions of EJ and Barrie, and outright horrid coaching. Don't sit there and say the disaster that was 2016-17 wasn't avoidable.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Duchene was hardly to blame for what happened with the club. He played his heart out for years and years while management dicked around with stopgaps and half measures. The team had no direction until Roykic came on board, and by the time they turned things around, it was too late to avoid the implosion and Duchene was expendable. I wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career (after this year, sorry Matt).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Duchene was hardly to blame for what happened with the club. He played his heart out for years and years while management dicked around with stopgaps and half measures. The team had no direction until Roykic came on board, and by the time they turned things around, it was too late to avoid the implosion and Duchene was expendable. I wish him nothing but the best for the rest of his career (after this year, sorry Matt).

Agreed emphatically with all of that, though IMO Roykic unfortunately played a part in that implosion, though much smaller than Pracey/Sherman/Lacroix/Lacroix/Sacco. The better-than-expected first season for them steered them wrong.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Again, you seem to be missing the point. This is not about whether they could or could not have turned the ship around in terms of drafting after getting Duchene (though a lot of teams, like Pittsburgh and Washington, seemed to figure it out after tanking it to get their top players). The fact remains that they failed to do so in the near-decade Duchene was with the team. Pracey bumbled his way through draft after draft until he was rightfully ****canned in 2014. That's not on Duchene, and that's the argument.

He was saddled with a rotating cast of linemates, a terrible blueline that was still terrible even with the additions of EJ and Barrie, and outright horrid coaching. Don't sit there and say the disaster that was 2016-17 wasn't avoidable.

How exactly do you surround Duchene with talent when the team doesn't have the assets to get the talent. You can say something simplistic like better drafting, but if improving drafting was that easy all teams would do it. It wasn't until recently the Avs have had assets that are expendable.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don't know. Look at what Sakics done with the team in the last years. We had a stagnant team and GM. Things have changed a ton and hopefully MacKinnon wont suffer the same fate. That said MacKinnon is a much higher talent but it looks like our team has direction for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad