Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIII| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 116861

I think most of us want an established top 6 player but teams just arent giving them up anymore. Especially one young enough to fit in with the core.

IMO, the only real shot at getting a young established top 6 forward is by doing a 'hockey' trade. So that means a top 4 defenseman for a top 6 forward. I don't want to get into the Barrie debate again. But I'll just say that trading a top 4 dman for a top 6 forward is just solving one problem and creating another one.

Makar will replace Barrie so we should trade Barrie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
None of these guys are better than Kerfoot and I love Kerfoot but we need someone better than him.

Not that I want Hayes necessarily, but one of the things the Avs are missing is multi dimensional players outside the top line, and Soderberg.

Kerfoot and Ghetto are somewhat one dimensional offensive players. Jost, Calvert, Nieto, and Bourque are solid defensively, but aren't scoring. Wilson' doesn't contribute much either way.

Bednar needs more players he can put out there in different situations, whether they're chasing, or holding leads.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Not that I want Hayes necessarily, but one of the things the Avs are missing is multi dimensional players outside the top line, and Soderberg.

Kerfoot and Ghetto are somewhat one dimensional offensive players. Jost, Calvert, Nieto, and Bourque are solid defensively, but aren't scoring. Wilson' doesn't contribute much either way.

Bednar needs more players he can put out there in different situations, whether they're chasing, or holding leads.
This is the reason why I wanted the Avs to keep Comeau. He had a good two way game and had chemistry with Soderberg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is the reason why I wanted the Avs to keep Comeau. He had a good two way game and had chemistry with Soderberg

They were right to move on from Comeau. It's whether they made the right move replacing him with Calvert that's the debate right now.

And his two-way game wasn't that good, he did have speed and size, and when he was actually able to set up for it, a good one-timer.

Reactions: McMetal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Ya Comeau would've been part of the problem this year. Last year he was a really good player, but I think he knew he was playing for his last payday.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I get that, but he was just getting too long in the tooth with his playing style, to gamble another long term contract on IMO. He has the same two points as Calvert this year too. I do think the chemistry with Soda would have helped the Avs a little though like you said.

I don't know what's going on with Calvert. He's no top sixer, but I've seen him look a lot better than he has this year. He literally has had Cody McLeod hands this year. Can't even handle simple passes, they bounce off his stick. He's really streaky though, so maybe he finds his groove soon (fingers crossed). He needs to find his way to the front of the net more for rebounds.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I get that, but he was just getting too long in the tooth with his playing style, to gamble another long term contract on IMO. He has the same two points as Calvert this year too. I do think the chemistry with Soda would have helped the Avs a little though like you said.

I don't know what's going on with Calvert. He's no top sixer, but I've seen him look a lot better than he has this year. He literally has had Cody McLeod hands this year. Can't even handle simple passes, they bounce off his stick. He's really streaky though, so maybe he finds his groove soon (fingers crossed). He needs to find his way to the front of the net more for rebounds.

I mean he's nothing more than a good 4th liner. I don't really know why people expected more out of him, throw him on the pk and let him forecheck, that's his bread and butter.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean he's nothing more than a good 4th liner. I don't really know why people expected more out of him, throw him on the pk and let him forecheck, that's his bread and butter.

That may be true for this team, but I think he can be a decent 3rd liner for some teams. Or a 3rd/4th line tweener.

I don't know if this is the case with him, but I think some of these grinder types have a tough time acclimating to Bednar's skating system. I don't know if it's an energy issue with the physical play and skating, or being able to settle themselves down and have a little poise after skating so aggressively on the same shift, but it's been an issue for guys before.

Comeau and Bourque both took a year to adjust. I don't know if something similar is going on with Greer, but he's had a tough time playing Bednar's system too. Even Landy had the worst year of his career that first season with Bednar, though obviously there's many other reasons for that as well.

I wonder if we see Calvert have a similar bounce back year next season like Comeau and Bourque did? The way he's looked so far though, that might not be the case.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Honestly...I've pretty much never been a size queen...but the Avs really badly need a little more size backed up by aggression up front. Kerfoot, Calvert, Bourque, Nieto, Dano, Dries are all under 6' (Jost and Compher too when they come back)...and its nights like this where I feel it somewhat shows. Of course every aspect of the game was crap, but it's awfully tough to establish an offensive presence when some of the forwards on the team just wilt against physicality and lose all of their puck battles - in all zones. The same thing was happening in the D zone, forwards losing a lot of puck battles. A Ferland is the ideal sort of player that they need. Built for the modern NHL. Decent size, aggressive as hell, with speed and some puck skill.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but watching Kerfoot, Calvert, and Dano out there tonight was driving me nuts.

Also, Calvert has been useless so far. He is not a dependable player in his own zone, which is something you have to be if you're a bottom six forechecker.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Honestly I don't really care for any forward on our team outside of the top line + Soda/Kam/JTC, I'd have no problem packaging some of them up for an upgrade.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avs were right for moving on from Comeau. I just don't know if they were expecting Matt Calvert to be his replacement, or if they were expecting it to be someone like J.T. Compher.

If it's the former - that's just a horrible talent evaluation and decision.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Moving on from Comeau was the right decision. He wasn't going to be around for much longer anyway. Better to give ice time to guys who will be around for our cup window. We need to know what we have in our other players so we can make the right moves in preparation.

Reactions: returnofthemack29

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The Avs were right for moving on from Comeau. I just don't know if they were expecting Matt Calvert to be his replacement, or if they were expecting it to be someone like J.T. Compher.

If it's the former - that's just a horrible talent evaluation and decision.

It was pretty slim pickins this free agency. Outside of Stastny and Tavares, I have no desire to have signed any of the bigger name free agents like JVR, Neal, etc. Perron would've been nice at his cost, but he gave the Blues a huge discount.

Looking at the rest of the list, the only one that's intriguing was Grabner, but he looked fairly useless in New Jersey so that was a gamble. Duclair would've been nice in hindsight, but I can understand not wanting him due to the question marks that comes with young players, and we already have a ton of those... which leaves players like Calvert.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It was pretty slim pickins this free agency. Outside of Stastny and Tavares, I have no desire to have signed any of the bigger name free agents like JVR, Neal, etc. Perron would've been nice at his cost, but he gave the Blues a huge discount.

Looking at the rest of the list, the only one that's intriguing was Grabner, but he looked fairly useless in New Jersey so that was a gamble. Duclair would've been nice in hindsight, but I can understand not wanting him due to the question marks that comes with young players, and we already have a ton of those... which leaves players like Calvert.
Honestly, the guy that I was hoping for was Tobias Reider. He only got 1 year, 2M from the Oilers - and who knows if he was dead set on signing in Edmonton all along - but I GLADLY would have given him Calvert's contract.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly, the guy that I was hoping for was Tobias Reider. He only got 1 year, 2M from the Oilers - and who knows if he was dead set on signing in Edmonton all along - but I GLADLY would have given him Calvert's contract.

I understand it from Joe's POV. Both Rieder and Calvert had similar production last season, but Calvert still is an energy and sandpaper guy willing to do the dirty work, even if he's been an offensive black hole so far. If Rieder isn't producing, Calvert would be the better player and there would be enough secondary offense from Compher, Jost, Soda, Ghetto, Kerfoot, Kam, etc.

I think Rieder would definitely been the better signing, but c'est la vie.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I appears I'm clearly in the minority here but I'd easily take Comeau over anyone that is currently in our bottom 6 with the exception of Soderberg. I wouldn't want him at the 3 year deal that he signed in Dallas, and maybe that's why he left the Avs. But on a 2 year deal it would have been an easy yes from me.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So our young depth has failed us. Do they still have potential or do we need to buy a second line? It's not like we don't have the assets.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
So our young depth has failed us. Do they still have potential or do we need to buy a second line? It's not like we don't have the assets.
Everyone should have seen this coming a mile away. There was no reason not to improve the 2nd line and yet nothing was done.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Honestly...I've pretty much never been a size queen...but the Avs really badly need a little more size backed up by aggression up front. Kerfoot, Calvert, Bourque, Nieto, Dano, Dries are all under 6' (Jost and Compher too when they come back)...and its nights like this where I feel it somewhat shows. Of course every aspect of the game was crap, but it's awfully tough to establish an offensive presence when some of the forwards on the team just wilt against physicality and lose all of their puck battles - in all zones. The same thing was happening in the D zone, forwards losing a lot of puck battles. A Ferland is the ideal sort of player that they need. Built for the modern NHL. Decent size, aggressive as hell, with speed and some puck skill.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but watching Kerfoot, Calvert, and Dano out there tonight was driving me nuts.

Also, Calvert has been useless so far. He is not a dependable player in his own zone, which is something you have to be if you're a bottom six forechecker.
Agreed. I want a few more Miles Wood type guys on our roster.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I've been on the keep Barrie train for awhile. That has changed after the last 4-5 games. Package him with someone and get that 2nd line some offensive punch immediately. I know this team isn't in "win now mode" but it's time to try and win if you can. And Barrie has hurt this team more than help this year.

Reactions: New Scotlander

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
My concern with Calvert and his contract is that they seem to think he's something more than a 4th liner, like there's some untapped offensive potential there. Bednar uses him in very weird moments when they're behind or when a powerplay is ending (or on the first unit as a Jost/Andrighetto replacement???) and I don't quite understand the logic there.

I've been on the keep Barrie train for awhile. That has changed after the last 4-5 games. Package him with someone and get that 2nd line some offensive punch immediately. I know this team isn't in "win now mode" but it's time to try and win if you can. And Barrie has hurt this team more than help this year.

He has more points than anyone on the team not on the first line. Like CB Joe said, trading a top 4 defenseman for a forward just creates another problem to fix one. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
My concern with Calvert and his contract is that they seem to think he's something more than a 4th liner, like there's some untapped offensive potential there. Bednar uses him in very weird moments when they're behind or when a powerplay is ending (or on the first unit as a Jost/Andrighetto replacement???) and I don't quite understand the logic there.

Calvert is a coach's player. Every team he has played on, the coaches use him way more than they should and the team's fans complain about it. He's an extremely limited player that does everything a coach asks him to do, albeit in mostly unspectacular fashion.

I really can't stand the player and seeing him out on PP1 just 30 seconds into the game was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm done with this overpaid Marc-Andre Cliche.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015

He has more points than anyone on the team not on the first line. Like CB Joe said, trading a top 4 defenseman for a forward just creates another problem to fix one. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Not when you have Meloche and Makar coming up, and hopefully Timmins eventually. Barrie is definitely a premier offensive dman, but he doesn’t know how to play defense or just doesn’t want to and it’s costing us games. I wouldn’t trade him for just anything, but if we can get a young 2C that can be part of the core I say just do it.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Calvert is a coach's player. Every team he has played on, the coaches use him way more than they should and the team's fans complain about it. He's an extremely limited player that does everything a coach asks him to do, albeit in mostly unspectacular fashion.

I really can't stand the player and seeing him out on PP1 just 30 seconds into the game was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm done with this overpaid Marc-Andre Cliche.

Not that I look to McNab and Moser for objectivity or analysis, but it's definitely frustrating listening to them go on and on about what a tough guy Calvert is and how important he is to the team. Then they went mysteriously silent when he got crushed and gave the puck away on the Neal goal. They blamed everyone on the ice except him and Varlamov (they would rather commit ritualistic suicide than ever say he should've made a save or two). I know they're homers but it's like Bednar gives them scripts before the games for some of his pets.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Not when you have Meloche and Makar coming up, and hopefully Timmins eventually. Barrie is definitely a premier offensive dman, but he doesn’t know how to play defense or just doesn’t want to and it’s costing us games. I wouldn’t trade him for just anything, but if we can get a young 2C that can be part of the core I say just do it.

Remember when MacKinnon was a -14, 50 point center? Imagine if we had traded him because we had Jost coming in and he looked promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad