Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIII| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Until the expansion rules get clarified, I don't think it is worth getting too up in arms about. We don't know how players will progress/regress over the next two or three seasons. Barrie could blow out both knees Thursday and render this all pointless.

I agree, I don't understand why anyone would freak out right now. At WORSE, the Avs are a playoff team on the way to being SC contenders and they end up making a trade with the Seattle Sasquatch (* that's what I'm calling them) to take a particular player in exchange for a pick or a prospect. Much like many other teams did with Vegas...paying a late 1st to keep a group of guys together is not a huge price to pay, if it has to come to that.

If the expansion draft happens in 2020 :

Avs protection list:
1F - Mack
2F - Rants
3F - Landy
4F - Jost
Kerfoot - exposed
Compher - exposed

1D - EJ
2D - Barrie
3D - Zadorov
4D - Girard
D - Timmins (auto-protected 2 years pro)
D - Makar (auto-protected 2 years pro)

1G - Grubauer

This season is going to be really indicative of where the Avs are at, who they are going to pick in the draft (C or W) and how they are going to structure their team going forward. If Timmins gets all healed up and plays a bunch of games with the big club, depending on how he performs he could definitely give them something to think about in terms of the future components of our defense. I expect Makar to be signed and playing with the Avs this coming April (much like McAvoy did with the Bruins) as well. One way or another, by the end of this NHL season things should be a lot clearer.

I truly don't get how some people want to lump fans into different categories like if I think Barrie is going to get traded at some point - it does NOT mean that I think he sucks - it just means that I think he could be moved out to address a different need on this team all the while taking advantage of a team that didn't manage their cap well enough to keep their young stars. It could also allow the Avs to use a different protection strategy and not really expose much more than role players. This has been pretty obvious for a while now. If the expansion draft happens in 2021, it definitely changes things but I personally believe that the Seattle group is to do what's necessary to get it done for 2020.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really hope that last year was the year that Barrie figured it out on the PP... if he did, he will be a 60 defensemen for a while.
He looked really good. Hoping it wasn’t a fluke either. Mike Kelly had a little video out last year of a star run down of Barrie’s successful passes in the ozone on the PP. basically he was trying to call him the best passing player on the PP in the league last year. Funny because the part of Barrie’s pp game that seemed to change the most in my eyes last year was how often he was shooting.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@Bender Completely agree that is the worst case in 2020... and if you are talking about the difference between losing Kerfoot or Barrie for free, I'd lose Kerfoot 100 times out of 100.

I think there are people who are reasonable about the trade Barrie situation, the problem becomes when the justification starts coming out that he sucks defensively, his impact is overrated, Makar/Timmins can easily replace him, all other defensemen are better, etc. When a player's ability is downgraded to justify the idea of the trade is where I have the issue in the discussion. ROR was going to get traded and it was pretty clear by the end. That didn't make ROR any worse of a player, he was still an elite #2C (still is now after his trade to St Louis).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh...I get that he's not Ray Bourque when it comes to outlet passes and what not, but I thought he ran the power play fine last season. If someone better for the job comes along, no sweat off my back, but right now he's the guy who should be on the top unit.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Any word on what's the deal with Mac's injury? I really haven't been able to find anything online and I live in FL so the Avs coverage is pretty minimal here lol

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
@Bender the problem becomes when the justification starts coming out that he sucks defensively, his impact is overrated, Makar/Timmins can easily replace him, all other defensemen are better, etc. When a player's ability is downgraded to justify the idea of the trade is where I have the issue in the discussion.
This.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mac has an injury?

He had a slight niggle and he didn’t play in the last preseason game. But I’m sure that was just make sure he could play tonight. If he wasn’t playing tonight we’d know, so I’ll leave it at that.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He had a slight niggle and he didn’t play in the last preseason game. But I’m sure that was just make sure he could play tonight. If he wasn’t playing tonight we’d know, so I’ll leave it at that.
A niggle?

Lol, that can’t be a word.

Edit: I stand, befuddled and corrected.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Until the expansion rules get clarified, I don't think it is worth getting too up in arms about. We don't know how players will progress/regress over the next two or three seasons. Barrie could blow out both knees Thursday and render this all pointless.

Incase it hasn't been said yet, Seattle has been guaranteed the exact same rules that LV had for their ED. so we know the rules already. The only difference is that LV itself would not participate in Seattle's ED.

This means for the Avs an ED in 2020 would be pretty straight forward, however an ED in 2021 would be very difficult with the higher number of young players that would then need to be protected.

As of now everyone would like 2020 but its a very aggressive and possibly barely realistic time table with no set backs, AS well that there is the assumption that another lockout wont happen.

Best case is 2020 but the more likely case is a painful ED in 2021

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Niggle: cause slight but persistent annoyance, discomfort, or anxiety.
"a suspicion niggled at the back of her mind"
synonyms:irritate, annoy, bother, provoke, exasperate, upset, gall, irk, rankle with
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

See I’m not weird!

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Agreed as well.

It is ridiculous the amount of...I don't know if I can call it hate but it is abnormal fan responses for sure where it pertains to Barrie and some others.
He's a good player and one of the better D men we have had on the Avs long term in our team history.
I don't understand why there is a rush to trade him or condemn him as less than he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad