Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XI| Witty Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good players will eventually find a way to score or produce ie. Hall.

Drouin is a fantastic player, but his attitude is terrible. Watching a few Habs games and seeing him sulk when the play or puck does not work in his favor. He acted in a similar manner with TB. Not sure the ask which is likely a lot to recoup trading Sergachev, but the Avs shouldn't offer too much.

LW already has Landy, Kerfoot, Ghetto, Bourque and Neito, with prospects Kamenev, Bowers, Shvyrev & Greer that could replace at least 2 players on the NHL roster and with 2-1sts in 2019, another forward is likely to be added.

Doubtful if Drouin even plays with Mack by replacing Landy, but would be a an excellent 2-line pairing with Jost.

Yeah but Hall is a better player than Drouin. He's better than most wingers in the league. Most skilled wingers can only do so much on their own without a skilled/smart center to work with, and form chemistry with. The difference can be an underperforming 45 point winger, or a 60+ point winger producing the way he's capable of.

I do think the Avs would love to find a way to put Landy on Jost's wing though. As soon as the top line has any sort of hiccup I think that's what they'll do. He's just the perfect two way winger with really underrated smarts that makes those around him better. The kind of winger to bring stability to a young center's NHL development, so they can play their game with confidence knowing he has their back in all situations on the ice.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nashville always appear to get away with lower AAV in exchange for longer term. I wonder if it will start to bite them in the ass sooner or later. 8 years for a 28 year old is risky.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Looking at their cap friendly they have a solid 2 years of championship contention barring anything crazy happening.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Nashville always appear to get away with lower AAV in exchange for longer term. I wonder if it will start to bite them in the ass sooner or later. 8 years for a 28 year old is risky.
Less tax or no tax in Tennessee? 1 or the other

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Ya too much $ and term for a knockneed skater 8 more years with the game getting faster. This is good for the Avs though

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Looking at their cap friendly they have a solid 2 years of championship contention barring anything crazy happening.
I'd say they have 4 solid years. Core is in the midst and the older players are not too old before the drop off. When Subban and Forsberg have to be re-signed, I think they will start to have issues. They do need to move to Saros sooner rather than later though.

Reactions: New Scotlander

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I'd say they have 4 solid years. Core is in the midst and the older players are not too old before the drop off. When Subban and Forsberg have to be re-signed, I think they will start to have issues. They do need to move to Saros sooner rather than later though.

Can't they just keep Saros and jettison Rinne?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I get that he's loved, but he's still going to be 36 when his contract expires, and despite the fact that they won the Prez last season and made the SCF the year before, he didn't exactly have a stellar postseason showing the last two seasons. If they want to extend Pekka for 1, even two years, that's fine, but they ain't moving Juuse.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rinne turns 36 in November. After 35 goalies, and players in general can fall completely off a cliff from year to year, without warning. The Preds may love Rinne, but thev're got their eyes on Saros when no one's looking.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I certainly don't see Rinne being their starter for the next 4 years.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get that he's loved, but he's still going to be 36 when his contract expires, and despite the fact that they won the Prez last season and made the SCF the year before, he didn't exactly have a stellar postseason showing the last two seasons. If they want to extend Pekka for 1, even two years, that's fine, but they ain't moving Juuse.

They shouldn't extend Rinne at all IMO... get to Saros as quickly as possible.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a good contract for Ellis. He was so criminally underpaid before. Still underpaid now but it's a lot closer to his market value.

Really? That makes him the 20th highest AAV dman in the league and he's signed until he's 36. You think he's worth 7M+ for 8 years?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Really? That makes him the 20th highest AAV dman in the league and he's signed until he's 36. You think he's worth 7M+ for 8 years?

By the time that contract takes effect he'll be the ~25th highest paid Dman of not lower. And within a couple of years it'll be 30.

Yes, hes worth more then that kind of money. I like Ellis more then I do OEL.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ellis has never cracked 40 points in his career. Granted, he was on pace to last season and he had 38 the season prior, so the ability to do so is clearly there. He's pretty good defensively, too, so I think this contract is fair but I worry that if this is what Ellis is getting, Barrie could get a lot higher.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I certainly don't see Rinne being their starter for the next 4 years.
He shouldn't be a starter to begin next season after how poor he was in the most recent playoff run. Polie is a fantastic GM, but I argue that him trusting Rinne will potentially be his downfall.

There is a chance he might be able to get Varlamov from us if we're not in a playoff picture by February/March, which could expand our cupboard even more.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
He shouldn't be a starter to begin next season after how poor he was in the most recent playoff run. Polie is a fantastic GM, but I argue that him trusting Rinne will potentially be his downfall.

There is a chance he might be able to get Varlamov from us if we're not in a playoff picture by February/March, which could expand our cupboard even more.

If you can't trust Rinne, who can you trust?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If you can't trust Rinne, who can you trust?
It depends on when you lost faith in him, if the Preds front office started losing faith in him due to last season your point is quite valid. However, I think he's been on a downward spiral for the past two to three seasons, which makes him easier to try and replace. The best thing for the Predators is to completely tank for the first month of the season largely due to Pekka's performance. He should lose the starting role to Saros and Polie should gain a veteran backup/starter at the trade deadline.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
It depends on when you lost faith in him, if the Preds front office started losing faith in him due to last season your point is quite valid. However, I think he's been on a downward spiral for the past two to three seasons, which makes him easier to try and replace. The best thing for the Predators is to completely tank for the first month of the season largely due to Pekka's performance. He should lose the starting role to Saros and Polie should gain a veteran backup/starter at the trade deadline.
He literally just won the Vezina, he wasn’t great in the playoffs but to say he played poorly last year is crazy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Rinne will start the year in goal. There's no reason to start the season with a goaltending controversy headache when there's no reason to do so yet. He's the reigning Vezina Trophy winner, it doesn't matter how poorly he ended things last season. Everyone starts at zero in October. Saros will most definitely get more starts though, I envision it going more or less the way the transition was handled in Tampa from Big Ben to Vasilevskiy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad