Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part X | Offseason Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Has nothing to do with what Mack is making. The Avs always sign their guys early and for less.

People are talking about taking on a 8.5m AAV contract, dealing multiple pieces for said contract, then essentially placing said contract on the 2nd line. Unless of course you believe Draisaitl to be a better C than Mack and want to move Mack to wing or to the 2nd line.

Because having elite C depth has been the recipe for cups lately as Pierce pointed out. Having Drai/Mack as our 1-2 punch at C for the next 8 years would be incredible. Now I think giving up both Tyson’s and a 1st would be a lot and I’m not 100% sure I’d do that. But I’m all for acquiring Drai.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Has nothing to do with what Mack is making. The Avs always sign their guys early and for less.

People are talking about taking on a 8.5m AAV contract, dealing multiple pieces for said contract, then essentially placing said contract on the 2nd line. Unless of course you believe Draisaitl to be a better C than Mack and want to move Mack to wing or to the 2nd line.

Because having elite C depth has been the recipe for cups lately as Pierce pointed out. Having Drai/Mack as our 1-2 punch at C for the next 8 years would be incredible. Now I think giving up both Tyson’s and a 1st would be a lot and I’m not 100% sure I’d do that. But I’m all for acquiring Drai.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
The other thing is with the current make up of our prospect pool, I have significantly more trust in the young Dmen we have(Specifically Makar) to be able to step up and fill the hole that Barrie would leave behind, then I do in our forward group being able to step up and fill the 2C hole we currently have.

Easy explanation for this. You have much more trust in Makar, cause he is yet to play in NHL. So he still looks world-beater in the making. Meanwhile our forward group (specifically Jost who are you willing to give up) already played one season and did not exactly set the world alight with his play (even though next year might be way better).

At this point there is absolutely no guarantee that Makar will become superior player to Jost. Your "significantly more trust" is currently significantly misplaced.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If we're trading Barrie + Jost + our 1st, I want more than Draisaitl coming back. As polarizing as he is once/if Barrie is gone I have a strong feeling he'll be greatly missed, even with Girard in the lineup and Makar/Timmins on the way.

Reactions: Murzu and avsfan09

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oilers drafted their offensive right shot defenseman, the Barrie rumors days are over.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Oilers drafted their offensive right shot defenseman, the Barrie rumors days are over.
Barrie rumor days ended when Roy walked out the door. They may arise again some day of Makar/Timmins make him expendable but that’s years away and for all we know may never happen.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Easy explanation for this. You have much more trust in Makar, cause he is yet to play in NHL. So he still looks world-beater in the making. Meanwhile our forward group (specifically Jost who are you willing to give up) already played one season and did not exactly set the world alight with his play (even though next year might be way better).

At this point there is absolutely no guarantee that Makar will become superior player to Jost. Your "significantly more trust" is currently significantly misplaced.

Lol. That's such a terrible explanation.

Makar has elite upside. It has nothing to do with nhl experience.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Welcome to the era of Avs fans with a warped sense of cap value due to MacKinnon making 6.3M.

Sadly this appears to be true.

I really don't see how anyone can seriously consider a 75 point Center overpaid at 8.5M. Not after what Tavares just got, what Couture just signed, what Eichel got, and what Matthews will get.

He's very fairly paid and as the cap continues to rise the deal will only get better.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think Draisaitl is overpaid in the sense that before this season you could consider MacKinnon overpaid.

However the guy has two 70+ point seasons under his belt and is over a PPG in the playoffs, I think that contract is fine and will continue to be so going forward.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Drai isn't overpaid. It looked like maybe he would be when he first signed that deal, but the new deals given out this summer to other Centers are pretty strong indicators that he essentially got market value for himself.

He definitely slots in around where he should be.

Draisaitl - $8.5M - 70+ point center
Johansen - $8M - 60 point center
O'Reilly - $7.5M - 60 point center
Stastny - $7M - 50 point center

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
He definitely slots in around where he should be.

Draisaitl - $8.5M - 70+ point center
Johansen - $8M - 60 point center
O'Reilly - $7.5M - 60 point center
Stastny - $7M - 50 point center

People still compare contracts to the Toews and Kane contracts and think Draisaitl is too close to that 10.5M number. They just haven't adjusted for the McDavid contract. The biggest contract went up 2 million and all the other contracts in the league have to go up proportionally in relation to that. That's the new contract and number that all the GM's and agents have to compare to.

Every one of those players would be considered overpaid as of 2 years ago. But now that's market value.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pretty sure there were tears shed on here by many people when Stastny was signed for 6.5M per year at what was considered a bargain by this entire board yet Draisaitl is somehow way overpaid at 8.5M.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Draisaitl is overpaid in the sense that before this season you could consider MacKinnon overpaid.

However the guy has two 70+ point seasons under his belt and is over a PPG in the playoffs, I think that contract is fine and will continue to be so going forward.
People also cannot forgot that he got a ton of points on the powerplay during his rookie season and had absolutely none last season. He still finds ways in producing close PPG numbers and that is pretty amazing.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Nope. We've toiled far too long to make huge / rash trades that pull players out we've been developing so long, who have been building combinations / chemistry with our group.

Jost will improve this year.

If Makar is coming along , potentially trade Barrie for a 2nd line forward, but that's it. Keep our picks. Keep our players.

We may lose: Varly, Wilson & a few other contracts too next season. We'll be in a good UFA acquisition position.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nope. We've toiled far too long to make huge / rash trades that pull players out we've been developing so long, who have been building combinations / chemistry with our group.

Jost will improve this year.

If Makar is coming along , potentially trade Barrie for a 2nd line forward, but that's it. Keep our picks. Keep our players.

We may lose: Varly, Wilson & a few other contracts too next season. We'll be in a good UFA acquisition position.

Oilers are unlikely trading Draisaitl in the short-term. AVs develop Jost, keep the 2019 pick and move Barrie to complete the rebuild. After 2-3 years, maybe he might be available, but the AVs will be a completely different team and not have the need.

There is no need to discuss a player that is not going to be moved.

Last edited:

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Why wouldn't the Oilers just keep Drai then

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would Rick Nash have any interest in signing in Colorado for a year I wonder? I realize he’s a shade of his former self but he’s a very strong two way guy that can help insulate Jost.

Overpay him in actual dollars for a year so that there’s no NMC or NTC involved. Hopefully he helps us out. If we’re on the outside looking in at the deadline he can be shipped off without any restriction for a free asset.

I’m guessing if he continues playing he’d prefer to be out east but I’d like to take him for a year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oilers are not trading Draisaitl. Not even sure why the argument about his trade value is still going on.

Thank you, I understand it's the off season and there's not much to talk about but 3-4 pages of Draisaitl proposals? The f*** is going on here? Might as well spend the time arguing for a package for McDavid.

MacKinnon & McDavid at C would be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad