Post-Game Talk: Avs lose a tough one

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The NHL should get rid of fighting

Get rid of goons like Lapierre, Mcleod, Torres etc....goons who do nothing for the game except injure players.

Just put 4 scoring lines on the ice, the game will be much cleaner and more fun to watch.

Edit: This loss is mainly on Mcleod with his stupid play. He changed the whole complexion of the game, whatever game plan Avs had to start the game strong went down the drain, and not to mention Wings scored on that major penalty.

None of these three are mainly fighters, so they would still be in the NHL.

As for trying to get dangerous hits out of the league. NHL tries. That's why McLeod has a hearing and Kaleta was suspended for 10 games.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Most fights are staged. Getting rid of fighting wouldn't have much impact on the game if any at all. Outside of his PK time McLeod doesn't provide much. Bordeleau nothing at all.

Exactly my point. They don't do anything outside of Mcleod killing penalties which wouldn't be hard to replace.

With limited ice time they get, they usually hurt a team with stupid plays like yesterday than help the team. They hurt players or just take stupid penalties all game long.

Mcleod can easily be replaced as a penalty killer. I want this type of players just gone from the NHL period.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So every team is just going to all agree to concede the physical part of the game? If no fighting then the borderline and cheap hits would increase. So ok, get rid of all the goons too. How does that prevent someone like Downie who can physically intimidate from a skill position?

KraftD

Sep 8, 2010
Was the game in Denver or Detroit?:shakehead
daDGxqq.jpg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So every team is just going to all agree to concede the physical part of the game? If no fighting then the borderline and cheap hits would increase. So ok, get rid of all the goons too. How does that prevent someone like Downie who can physically intimidate from a skill position?

Downie can actually play hockey, all Mcleod does is take stupid penalties, injures players. There are plenty of Downie type players to still keep the physicality in the game and actually play hockey unlike players like Mcleod who are just waste of ice time that hurt the team more than helping the team.

If every team gets rid of it's goons or fighters or whatever, and ices 4 lines of skilled players, the scoring will go up, the game will be much cleaner.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know Downie can play, that's my point. How does that change the game if every team is still going to have an opportunity to put out physical players even if they ice four "skill" lines?

I doubt they would have made McLeod alternate captain if they felt like he didn't offer anything other than goonery.

member 116861

Downie can actually play hockey, all Mcleod does is take stupid penalties, injures players. There are plenty of Downie type players to still keep the physicality in the game and actually play hockey unlike players like Mcleod who are just waste of ice time that hurt the team more than helping the team.

If every team gets rid of it's goons or fighters or whatever, and ices 4 lines of skilled players, the scoring will go up, the game will be much cleaner.

McLeod is not a waste of ice time, Bordeleau is but not McLeod.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Was the game in Denver or Detroit?:shakehead
daDGxqq.jpg

Don't worry, when Detroit finally becomes a lottery team, which should be when Datsyuk and Zetterberg are old and retired, then you wont see all this Red Wing bandwagoners.

Huis Clos*

I see this argument all the time and it is so silly. Guys like Cooke, Downie, Marchand, Avery, etc are/were the biggest cheap shot artists and goons in the game. When was the last time you saw one of those guys get into a fight with an enforcer? When did the threat of a fight ever keep guys like that from taking a cheap shot? Never. You want to get cheap shots out of the game than the NHL needs to take a hard line on suspensions and fines. The idea that fighting somehow polices the game and prevents dirty hits is the biggest fallacy in hockey. It's a myth carried on by the dinosaurs of the game like Cherry that pine for the "good ol' days".

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Come on, you must have more argument than oh boy...

There is really no argument though. I really don't see what good players like Mcleod, Lapierre are to an NHL team.

I mean what do they really do to help a team? Absolutely nothing. Why should fighting or stupid hits like this change the game?

Instead of fighting changing the game, how about just have 4 lines of skilled guys try to change the game with a nice pass, or nice goal, or just a nice skilled play instead of injuring players.

So you say something about getting rid of fighting after McLeod's hit? Either way, it won't solve a whole lot other than a crowd of pissed off fans. If NHL wants to get rid of injuries, they'll have to get rid of hitting. And if they do that, it will probably be the end of the sport before we know it. The hit wouldn't have been so bad if Kronwall didn't turn at the last second, not saying it wasn't dirty, but it would had a different outcome.

But I fail to see how getting rid of 'guys like Mcleod, Lapierre' will do a whole lot considering star players can get away with anything dirty as well. Then there's the whole 'clean hit gone wrong' or players skating with their head down, too. It's a rough sport. Injuries will happen. So this whole agrument is silly.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I know Downie can play, that's my point. How does that change the game if every team is still going to have an opportunity to put out physical players even if they ice four "skill" lines?

Skilled physical players who usually play the game clean? That's perfectly fine.

Unskilled physical players who don't do anything but take penalties, fight, or injure players? Waste of ice time, no place in the NHL.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
So you say something about getting rid of fighting after McLeod's hit? Either way, it won't solve a whole lot other than a crowd of pissed off fans. If NHL wants to get rid of injuries, they'll have to get rid of hitting. And if they do that, it will probably be the end of the sport before we know it. The hit wouldn't have been so bad if Kronwall didn't turn at the last second, not saying it wasn't dirty, but it would had a different outcome.

But I fail to see how getting rid of 'guys like Mcleod, Lapierre' will do a whole lot considering star players can get away with anything dirty as well. Then there's the whole 'clean hit gone wrong' or players skating with their head down, too. It's a rough sport. Injuries will happen. So this whole agrument is silly.

The NHL doesn't have to get rid of hitting.

There are plenty of skilled NHL players who hit and play physical without hurting players, like Ovechkin etc...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
McLeod was a hero 24 hours ao for blocking the Ovi shot and not missing any time. :laugh:

I've always thought he's a waste of ice time, and after yesterday it i'm pretty sure of it. I completely blaming the loss on him, hope he is suspended for 20 games, and again, hope someday NHL just gets rid of all this goons.

Huis Clos*

No one is advocating getting rid of hitting in hockey. But the idea the sport would die without hitting is absolutely untrue. Look how quickly non-contact youth leagues in Canada are growing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I get it but fighting and injuries from the physical nature if the sport are two separate issues. Fine but one does not justify the other. If the sport is better without fighting then so be it. Fines and suspensions are policing nasty hits right now. How does that change with no fighting? People use the injuries as their token soapbox reason to get rid of fighting yet fail to address the other physical side of the sport. But nobody can argue against it because we all hate to see players injured so we should all be for eliminating fighting. My point is if the bottom line is concern with the physical consequences of the sport then address that issue.

McLeod's hit was bad, we all know that. But he is not useless on the team. It's pretty funny to me not even 24 hours after relief that he didn't sustain injury from the blocked shot now there is no place for him in the game because he's just a goon.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
The NHL doesn't have to get rid of hitting.

There are plenty of skilled NHL players who hit and play physical without hurting players, like Ovechkin etc...

Ovechkin doesn't hurt players?? Seriously?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...-illegal-hit/2012/01/23/gIQA6VzAMQ_story.html

Injuries happen. McLeod does not have a history of this sort of thing. Everyone is wigging out over this. It just happens. Bordy doesn't even have a history of dirty hits. They're fourth line players.

I can't even understand the reactions on this and the mainboard over this hit... A bunch of white knighting I guess.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Question for you, how does it feel getting all the calls and bounces throughout multiple seasons? Don't think I am asking you in a sore loser way because I am not. It is something that I observed and just curious what Wing fans think of the situation they're in and how veteran teams get away with calls.

Apparently you have never seen this video..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad