Post-Game Talk: Avs lose a tough one

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You mean like the other day against the Bruins when we got 0 PP and 5 x 2 min PK?

That's the BRUINS though. Refs are afraid to make calls against them because then they get another angry email from Colin Campbell about how they are treating his son unfairly... :laugh: [I laugh but sadly, it's true :(]

To Colorado:
G. Campbell

To Boston:
1st round pick

It would be worth it to get all the calls coming our way. :laugh:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have no interest in moving MacKinnon to the wing, like a few have suggested. We're developing him as a center, let him play center. Some nights, he's going to screw up, but were thinking long term here.

Or we could move him to the wing, he won't learn defensive responsibilities, and when he's moved back to center, he'll struggle to win many faceoffs (See: Seguin at 32% as 4th year player).

Switching him to the wing is not going to screw his development as a center, nor will it fail to teach him defensive responsibilities. Plenty of two-way players in the league are wings.

I'd be all for it until he learns to win faceoffs. Right now he's downright awful at them.

Nothing wrong with taking some of the burden off and letting him play alongside Duchene, O'Reilly, or Stastny. He's 18, we've plenty of time to switch him back.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I was fine with the effort, just frustrated a bit with the continual mistakes in the defensive zone. Benoit and Johnson both had egregious and completely avoidable turnovers in the defensive zone that ended up behind Varlamov. Also, Mitchell over-extending himself and then coasting to the bench during the PK was inexcusable. I still like Johnny Malkin, but use your head, dude.

I'm fine with Wilson sitting again--that's kinda what he is, a perfect 6/7th guy. And it's clear he doesn't have his legs back yet. Barrie deserves another shot. I'm still impressed with Guenin though. Would like to see what Holden has to offer.

I suppose if we needed one type of forward it'd be that grease guy who just knows how to fight for rebounds and deflect shots. I'm not complain about the very deep forward corps we have, but man, it'd be nice to have that Marek Svatos-type guy who made a living between the hashmarks.

All that said, I was still impressed with the effort. We all knew the Avs were gonna lose with their current formula, Varly couldn't bail 'em out forever, but I still love the speed and creativity this team shows...and they'll be a force once they figure it out on defense.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I would switch PAP and Downie actually.

I agree with this. PAP still brings some grit, but much more ability offensively IMO. A McG-MacK-Downie line would be a great energy line, but with tons more offense than a normal energy line. They would definitely punish the defensemen.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Switching him to the wing is not going to screw his development as a center, nor will it fail to teach him defensive responsibilities. Plenty of two-way players in the league are wings.

I'd be all for it until he learns to win faceoffs. Right now he's downright awful at them.

Nothing wrong with taking some of the burden off and letting him play alongside Duchene, O'Reilly, or Stastny. He's 18, we've plenty of time to switch him back.
But we're trying to develop him as a center, not as a winger. He's made a few mistakes this year, but overall, I don't think he's been bad defensively. He's 18, you can't expect too much and I feel like people are being a bit hard on him. Roy, for the most part, has done a good job sheltering him. He'll learn from the mistakes he makes and it will make him a better player down the road.

The defensive responsibilities of a center and a winger are different, so I don't think moving him to the wing would help all that much.

And his faceoff numbers the last two games have improved a lot. He's won 12 of the 21 he's taken. He'll continue to improve as the season goes on. Rookies tend to have issues with faceoffs, and he's getting better.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have no interest in moving MacKinnon to the wing, like a few have suggested. We're developing him as a center, let him play center. Some nights, he's going to screw up, but were thinking long term here.

Or we could move him to the wing, he won't learn defensive responsibilities, and when he's moved back to center, he'll struggle to win many faceoffs (See: Seguin at 32% as 4th year player).

Agree here. Plus nobody has mentioned MacKinnon was 50% on faceoffs last night, 62% the night before (which lead the team). I don't have any interest seeing him on the wing. He's a center and needs to learn and build confidence there. His talents would not be any more effective on wing.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Kevin Allen ‏@ByKevinAllen 4m

Colorado's Cody McLeod has been offered an in-person hearing because of his boarding incident against Detroit's Kronwall.

at least 5 then, so what was deserved+the Shanahan effect, looks like we'll get a good look at cliche

It's not 5+. Shanahan can go over five. There have been in-person hearings giving players 1-4 game suspensions.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
McLeod shouldn't get more than 5.

But since there was an injury and Shanny is Shanny (and probably will be bias towards the Wings), McLeod is probably done for the season and half of next season.

The regular claim that Shanahan is biased toward the Wings has no basis in reality.

Question for you, how does it feel getting all the calls and bounces throughout multiple seasons? Don't think I am asking you in a sore loser way because I am not. It is something that I observed and just curious what Wing fans think of the situation they're in and how veteran teams get away with calls.

Don't think I am biased because even Kevin Weeks has commented about this same situation.

So what Kevin Weekes says is now the barometer for impartiality? Believe me, the Wings have plenty of games in which all the calls go against them. On Monday, they had zero power plays to the Bruins' six.

As for getting all the bounces, that's not true either---but if you're putting "bounces" and "veteran teams" in the same sentence, then you're referring to something that is not luck.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He'll get no more than 5( I say exactly 5) but the Shanny conspiracy isn't something I believe in.

Beaten to it.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
One loss and all these line change suggestions? Seriously? Why switch RoR off the wing when he's looked rather good there?

Or make any of these changes.. 15 Games is when we can really tell what lines are and aren't working. 7 games? Not so much. Too soon, players are still learning each other. Mac is still learning what the NHL is even about.

Definitely use the lines a little more wisely, but I don't know that Roy did that as a blunder as much as it was an intentional thing. And I don't know that playing him against Dats was necessarily a bad idea anyway. Give the kid a taste of whats to come so he can prepare. If it keeps happening then yeah sure, but this could of just been a test/preview for Mac.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
Avs were the better team and deserved to win. But we have to remember that Detroit didn't have Kronwall for almost the whole game which may be one explanation for Avs being the better team.

But we didn't have Cody McCrosby.. If we did it would of went wayyy differently. :sarcasm:

Huis Clos*

1382061809000-kronwall-hurt.jpg

Kronwalled!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That pic is very classles.
I hope the Mods take care of that one.
I don't care if Kronwall is a dirty player or not. Not even that he is a Redwing.

There is no joking about head injuries. They are a very serious matter.
Especially not when our own player caused them by a dirty hit. I hope Kronwall has a quick and full recovery.

Show some class. What about Fair play ?. This is a game afterall. Nothing funny about this AT ALL...

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
He turned into it. Just as much fault should be put on Kronwall as McLeod.

Yeah and if that was a Kronwall hit on Duchene would you be putting up a picture and saying Kronwalled?

The guy got hurt on a hit that shouldn't of happened. It was a bad hit whether he turned or not. I'm not saying cody meant it, but being like, happy about it and posting a picture of a guy laid out on the ice from a questionable at best hit is bottom shelf.

By all means if someone gets laid out in a good clean open ice pound town check, I'd be much more receptive to it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The NHL should get rid of fighting

Get rid of goons like Lapierre, Mcleod, Torres etc....goons who do nothing for the game except injure players.

Just put 4 scoring lines on the ice, the game will be much cleaner and more fun to watch.

Edit: This loss is mainly on Mcleod with his stupid play. He changed the whole complexion of the game, whatever game plan Avs had to start the game strong went down the drain, and not to mention Wings scored on that major penalty.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
The NHL should get rid of fighting

Get rid of goons like Lapierre, Mcleod, Torres etc....goons who do nothing for the game except injure players.

Just put 4 scoring lines on the ice, the game will be much cleaner and more fun to watch.

Edit: This loss is mainly on Mcleod with his stupid play. He changed the whole complexion of the game, whatever game plan Avs had to start the game strong went down the drain, and not to mention Wings scored on that major penalty.

Oh boy...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Oh boy...

Come on, you must have more argument than oh boy...

There is really no argument though. I really don't see what good players like Mcleod, Lapierre are to an NHL team.

I mean what do they really do to help a team? Absolutely nothing. Why should fighting or stupid hits like this change the game?

Instead of fighting changing the game, how about just have 4 lines of skilled guys try to change the game with a nice pass, or nice goal, or just a nice skilled play instead of injuring players.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I'm so glad that EJ scored, makes the loss a lot easier to handle.

Agreed, he's still got a penchant for doing stupid things at the blueline though. It's like he specifically waits to shoot the puck into someone's shinguards in hopes of leading to an odd-man rush going the other way.

Huis Clos*

Come on, you must have more argument than oh boy...

There is really no argument though. I really don't see what good players like Mcleod, Lapierre are to an NHL team.

I mean what do they really do to help a team? Absolutely nothing. Why should fighting or stupid hits like this change the game?

Instead of fighting changing the game, how about just have 4 lines of skilled guys try to change the game.

Most fights are staged. Getting rid of fighting wouldn't have much impact on the game if any at all. Outside of his PK time McLeod doesn't provide much. Bordeleau nothing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad