Confirmed with Link: Avs Claim Matt Nieto from Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Should be a lock for the PK once he gets his footing here.

I'd wager he'll fit right in with what Bednar likes in forecheckers, speed and effort as well. If he rediscovers any of his offensive game it will just be a bonus.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Should be a lock for the PK once he gets his footing here.

I'd wager he'll fit right in with what Bednar likes in forecheckers, speed and effort as well. If he rediscovers any of his offensive game it will just be a bonus.

I don' t really think he has an NHL level offensive game that he can rediscover.

That said. I absolutely could see him being a better option on the wing of Duchene than Iggy, Bourque (who sadly has slowed down a ton IMO) or maybe even Grigo.

He can atleast keep up with his speed and help him out in the defensive zone.

It will be interesting how he handles the shock of going from a franchise like the Sharks to the dumpster fire that is the Avs. I really want to see him on the first PK unit. Get Landy and Mac off of it and feed them offensive time. We are losing anyways so atleast try to jumpstart them a bit offensively.

Maybe he will sink into the darkness as well but atleast he is something new to watch.

That is probably the only real incentive anyone can have right now for watching an Avs game.

You can't expect them playing well, not making mistakes or god forbid win.
But now you can watch something new.

That might be as good as it gets this season so lets cherish it...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I don' t really think he has an NHL level offensive game that he can rediscover.

That said. I absolutely could see him being a better option on the wing of Duchene than Iggy, Bourque (who sadly has slowed down a ton IMO) or maybe even Grigo.

He can atleast keep up with his speed and help him out in the defensive zone.

I think he has the 20-25 pt game as a 3rd liner if playing with a skill guy. Not sure I'd put him in the top 6 outside of short term fill in.

Nieto - Soda - Comeau should actually be a "decent" 3rd line

Last edited:

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Guys, it's upsetting to read our own fans saying "poor Nieto for ending up here". Come on guys, this is our team through good & bad. At least we are now trying something.

Understand peoples frustration though.

I thought I was supposed to be the voice of all that is doom & gloom ;)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This signing obviously wont be immediate improvement for this team, but i said before that even though i'm not very high on the Avs core right now, i'd still like to see better 3rd 4th lines before they start trading core players, and i guess this is a start. Nieto can replace one dead weight, about 10 more to go though.

Players that need to be replaced on this team...

Mitchell
Colborne
Comeau
Iginla
Soderberg
McLeod
Martinsen
Beauchemin
Tyutin
Gelinas
Goloubef

1 down, 10 to go

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Guys, it's upsetting to read our own fans saying "poor Nieto for ending up here". Come on guys, this is our team through good & bad. At least we are now trying something.

It is pure sarcasm. The self deprecating humor this board used to have was among the very best. It died somewhere along the last couple Roy years with only glimmers of the past glory.... this is one of those glimmers.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This has been the best thing to happen to this team all year.

Sad, but honestly I think it's true. Nieto is a solid bottom 6 guy who was pushed out of a very deep San Jose team. He'll be a huge boost to our bottom 6 both now and potentially in the future.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It is pure sarcasm. The self deprecating humor this board used to have was among the very best. It died somewhere along the last couple Roy years with only glimmers of the past glory.... this is one of those glimmers.

Oh, that reached amazing levels at times. Just about every comment was a sarcastic remark.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Nieto spent a fair amount of time in SJ's top 6. I wouldn't characterize him as a top 6 player per se, but he can be a fill-in complimentary player in that role. If playing with more skilled players, he has 10 goal 20 assist potential.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nieto this morning.

ATRVVe5.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Nieto is a pretty solid bottom six player, pretty stoked to get him for free.

Didn't we say the same thing about Comeau, Soderberg etc... i mean this players likely look better on a good team, and i don't think it's gonna be any different with Nieto.

Not a single player is looking good on the Avs, and why would they when the team has fallen apart like that. But we'll see i guess

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't we say the same thing about Comeau, Soderberg etc... i mean this players likely look better on a good team, and i don't think it's gonna be any different with Nieto.

Not a single player is looking good on the Avs, and why would they when the team has fallen apart like that. But we'll see i guess

Comeau is a decent bottom-6 player when he's not asked to play above his capabilities. Soderberg just quits when he's asked to play a bottom-6 role.

I have hopes for Nieto being a decent bottom-6 guy here. Just his effort and speed alone will be refreshing to watch

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Comeau is a decent bottom-6 player when he's not asked to play above his capabilities. Soderberg just quits when he's asked to play a bottom-6 role.

I have hopes for Nieto being a decent bottom-6 guy here. Just his effort and speed alone will be refreshing to watch

The way is see it, Avs roster has major chemistry issue more than anything. I know i'm calling all the players useless, but when you think about it, it's like having different chemicals and trying to find the right mix.

Each chemical can be useful and serve purpose individually, but when wrongly mixed together, it becomes useless. That's what the Avs roster is, bunch of players mixed wrongly.

Players like Comeau, Soderberg etc.. can be good players on a good team, but they just useless on this Avs team. We'll see what Nieto brings to this mess, but it's hard to believe that he's gonna be able to do much on this team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The way is see it, Avs roster has major chemistry issue more than anything. I know i'm calling all the players useless, but when you think about it, it's like having different chemicals and trying to find the right mix.

Each chemical can be useful and serve purpose individually, but when wrongly mixed together, it becomes useless. That's what the Avs roster is, bunch of players mixed wrongly.

Players like Comeau, Soderberg etc.. can be good players on a good team, but they just useless on this Avs team. We'll see what Nieto brings to this mess, but it's hard to believe that he's gonna be able to do much on this team.

Comeau has worked well with Soderberg in the past. For whatever reason, Soderberg decided he just wouldn't try very hard this season under Bednar. He's had a few games where he's worked hard, but it isn't consistent.

If you can just get Soderberg to play with a consistent effort, pairing him with Comeau and Nieto on the 3rd line to start may not be such a bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese