Confirmed with Link: Avs Claim Matt Nieto from Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
How do you mean? That he wasn't getting playing time?

Yeah there is a reason he was waived.

With the Avs he can showcase himself and probably get the kind of minutes to boost his production (which means $ on July 1st) he would have never gotten on a good team like the Sharks.

I mean I would not blame Bednar for throwing him into the top6 right away so I think Nieto in general is pretty happy that he landed here instead of being an extra depth guy for a borderline playoff team where he would only see very limited minutes.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Watching his interview on Avalanche TV he seemed happy to be here, probably because he has a better chance to play more and then get paid in the offseason (by us or another team)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I liked what I saw from Matt. Good energy guy perfect for the bottom 6. He looked amazing only because he was playing his role unlike the guys we have on the bottom 6. His speed should help Soderberg get some looks.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Well he was in the process of getting sent to their farm team, in the last year of his contract. I'm sure it's a good thing to get an NHL salary (10x the AHL pay I'd guess) and a chance to prove yourself at this level. Even if our team is a factory of agony

Nieto wasn't waived to go to the AHL, he is an NHL player and the Sharks would have happily kept him as the 13th/14th forward. He was waived because he told the GM he wanted to play and the GM consented to giving other teams a look at him (after presumably trying unsuccessfully to trade Nieto). He is simply a victim of depth and how he and other players fit in the Sharks organization.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Nieto wasn't waived to go to the AHL, he is an NHL player and the Sharks would have happily kept him as the 13th/14th forward. He was waived because he told the GM he wanted to play and the GM consented to giving other teams a look at him (after presumably trying unsuccessfully to trade Nieto). He is simply a victim of depth and how he and other players fit in the Sharks organization.

Interesting

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Nieto is a pretty fun player, on and off the ice, it seems. Hope he does well for you guys.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

poor thing

Ha, he's so right.

I'm sure it does suck going from one of the best teams to the worst team, but it's got to suck less for a depth player. In his very first game here he had the highest TOI he's had all season. He'll actually get regular pt here rather than being on the rotation as the 12-13th forward.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Lol that pic, why do I wanna call him Pedro

He looked good in his first game here. Good snag and I hope we utilize him properly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sharks fan here.

Here to support Long Beach native Matt Nieto.

But seriously, do your color commentator guys call him that? I thought it was only a Sharks thing.

I think our guys have been doing it more since the Cali trip, where every opposing commentator called him LBNMN every damn time :laugh:

But yeah, Long Beach native Matt Nieto gets his full title from McNab & Haynes as well lol.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
28mx46.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad