GDT: Avs @ Bolts: Last Second Edition

Heyduke

Oct 31, 2019
Actually Annunen was maybe the only bright spot tonight. Which since he still let in 4 is saying something, but he didn't look totally out of place for once.

Our defense though, was atrocious. Cale and Toews in particular got outworked and bodied.

Ryjo trade can't come soon enough. Hell, at least put Tufte in next game. Change something, FFS.

Reactions: missionAvs

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Positive: This ugly Road-Trip has ended.

And, it really brought to light the problems this team has. And there are many.... Probably too many to fix them, if you ask me.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'm here. You need to have 4 ounces of Raddysh and rub some Pospisil on your Perbix to rid it of the Poitras ailment.
What if the Poitras has spread to my Tyler Johnson.

It kinda sucks that the Hart and Art Ross is going to come down to Mcdavid and Kucherov again. Really thought Mackinnon could get it this year.
MacK doesn't want it enough.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Bednar's biggest failure as a coach isn't constantly putting MacDermid in the lineup or refusing to split Rantanen and Mack. It's his inability to persuade Makar that he's the best f***ing defenseman on the planet and that he shouldn't approach offense with a Jack Johnson mindset, simply passing the puck to the nearest player. It's such a waste of Makar's talent to play a passive defensive game without the puck and just defer the whole damn time to anybody. He should just take the puck and do whatever the hell he wants with it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Bednar's biggest failure as a coach isn't constantly putting MacDermid in the lineup or refusing to split Rantanen and Mack. It's his inability to persuade Makar that he's the best f***ing defenseman on the planet and that he shouldn't approach offense with a Jack Johnson mindset, simply passing the puck to the nearest player. It's such a waste of Makar's talent to play a passive defensive game without the puck and just defer the whole damn time to anybody. He should just take the puck and do whatever the hell he wants with it.
I think Makar has finally realized that he is about the 4th maybe 5th best dman in the NHL. You never have to remind McDavid hes the best. He knows. If Makar has to be reminded then hes not the best. #Hughes4Norris

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I think Makar has finally realized that he is about the 4th maybe 5th best dman in the NHL. You never have to remind McDavid hes the best. He knows. If Makar has to be reminded then hes not the best. #Hughes4Norris
His best days are behind him

Snow Arc

New doctor; Please be patient
Aug 14, 2020
We need to ask a doctor. I am not sure if there are any doctors in this forum.
drspaceman.jpg

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Drouin, more than anyone, has shown significant signs of fatigue. He is still putting in the effort, but he simply can't play the minutes that the top line is being tasked with. Mackinnon can, because he is a pysical freak, and Rantanen can, because he floats around.
They should have switched Drouin and Lehky anyway IMO once LOC went out.
Lehk - MacK - Rants
Drouin - Colton - Wood
(who-even-cares)
(don't-visualize-it)

Reactions: Snow Arc

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Juicy looked alright. Minus the odd weird rebound and biting like f*** when Stamkos was on a breakaway.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Mack may get all the media attention but this team goes as Makar goes and he hasn't had a single good game since the all star break.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Do you guys remember watching a play in the second period, where Johansen actually hustled and knocked a guy off the puck along the end boards in the offensive zone. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It was jarring to see.

Reactions: Metallo and Linds

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do you guys remember watching a play in the second period, where Johansen actually hustled and knocked a guy off the puck along the end boards in the offensive zone. I couldn't believe what I was watching. It was jarring to see.
For all the crap… he was actually quite good last night.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
I did see that....was checking the number to verify. Just makes me dislike him more....showing he is capable but not willing 99% of the time.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I didn't see it last night but I'm supremely weirded out when it happens. I was actually getting hopeful when he had, like, two wraparound goals in a row or something.

It's gotten to the point where I go into full rage mode anytime he loses a faceoff. It's like, dude...you can't even do THAT right???

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That was good because it upped his trade value

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs gave this game away again. Tampa didn’t deserve to win on multiple levels.

They continue to gang up on and scream at the officials every game without getting penalties. They get lucky bounces off the glass then off the shoulder for a goal. Stamkos and Kucherov cherry picking all night and getting rewarded for it. Passing up the empty net down a goal with over a minute left, just to give Mr Selfish Kucherov another goal.

Meanwhile Nate probably breaks his nose again off a crazy high speed deflection. Then he takes another puck in the face his first shift back. Then in the third, Cernak punches him in the face in the corner.

What a contrast in fortune. Poor guy has the worst luck with his nose, going back to that crazy hit by Hall.

Not sure why Tampa is still allowed to use the old glass either. Clearly it gives them an unfair advantage, and they practice those plays off the glass, and then look for them during games.

All that said, self inflicted, preventable mistakes did the Avs in again.

Second goal, Nate for some reason stopped skating when he could he could have got to the loose puck in the D zone, then Toews turns the puck over in front of his net and it’s in the back of the net.

Love the way Colton plays but he seemed to only be thinking about scoring on his old team and not playing the right way. Tying and GWG were on him. Turned the puck over on the third goal, passing right to Tampa with no Avs around while Stamkos was cherry picking, then bailed the zone trying to cherry pick himself and left his man Kucherov wide open for the GWG.

Bo with another really good game, and it comes while he's playing aggressively on his toes. He must have X ray vision in this arena to see all these pucks that nobody else sees. Only a real gamer keeps playing to the whislte like that too and finds a way to use put the puck in with both feet behind the goal line.

Thought Annunen played pretty well. Goes to show how unpredictable goaltending is, because the first shift of the game he let a slow moving puck get past him behind the net, then on the first shot he faced, he gave up a rebound on a long distance, unscreened wrister from the point. I thought he was on his way to giving up a blowout, but he refocused, beared down, and found his game afterwards.

This former Stanley Cup winning team is gonna have to learn from their rookie goaltender, and do the same after all these losses.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
It's not an excuse - these guys make millions playing a game and the quid pro quo for all the money is putting in an honest effort every night. But the fact is that the Avs have spent the last month on the road- all on the East Coast it seems. Brutal. Yes, they're paid well to stay in shape and all that but those guys looked gassed last night in the 3rd. When your best D pairing -one of which is Makar - plays like ass all night its not gonna go well. Ever.

No excuses. They played like crap for 10 days and that road trip put them behind the 8 ball. A small 8 ball, but they need to turn it up a few notches. The Avs ice 3-4 of the best players on the planet every night. They need to play like it.

But this is the new NHL. No lead is safe and all teams falter.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's not an excuse - these guys make millions playing a game and the quid pro quo for all the money is putting in an honest effort every night. But the fact is that the Avs have spent the last month on the road- all on the East Coast it seems. Brutal. Yes, they're paid well to stay in shape and all that but those guys looked gassed last night in the 3rd. When your best D pairing -one of which is Makar - plays like ass all night its not gonna go well. Ever.

No excuses. They played like crap for 10 days and that road trip put them behind the 8 ball. A small 8 ball, but they need to turn it up a few notches. The Avs ice 3-4 of the best players on the planet every night. They need to play like it.

But this is the new NHL. No lead is safe and all teams falter.

Yeah it was a brutal road trip. And it was on the heels of the ASG, where Nate and Cale who had been carrying the team lost a bit of their mojo with the break, and still didn't get a full proper rest.

The concerning thing though, was the loss was the result of what's been plaguing them all year. Preventable mental errors.

The fatigue surely contributed to that in this game, but they got to find a way to clean this up before the playoffs, because it's happened far too often this year. I feel like most of the team outside Nate and Cale have just been waiting for the games to really matter in the playoffs, and then flip the switch.

Mikko especially. I don't think he's been as bad as some do, but in this one he was pretty bad. Killed off lots of offensive plays with turnovers and lost battles. I don't know if he's playing hurt or not (his reaction to that hit by Cernak had me wondering) but he's still got to cut way down on the turnovers.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Yeah it was a brutal road trip. And it was on the heels of the ASG, where Nate and Cale who had been carrying the team lost a bit of their mojo with the break, and still didn't get a full proper rest.

The concerning thing though, was the loss was the result of what's been plaguing them all year. Preventable mental errors.

The fatigue surely contributed to that in this game, but they got to find a way to clean this up before the playoffs, because it's happened far too often this year. I feel like most of the team outside Nate and Cale have just been waiting for the games to really matter in the playoffs, and then flip the switch.

Mikko especially. I don't think he's been as bad as some do, but in this one he was pretty bad. Killed off lots of offensive plays with turnovers and lost battles. I don't know if he's playing hurt or not (his reaction to that hit by Cernak had me wondering) but he's still got to cut way down on the turnovers.

Agreed. I'm always "glass half full" (sometimes to my regret) . Bottom line is that Bednar is still icing 70% of the team that won the Cup in 2022. I don't think he forgot how to coach and I don't think Cale/Mac/Mikko/Toews/Lehky suddenly forgot how to play at a high level. The fact is that the NHL regular season is the ultimate grind. Where regular season success (hi Boston!) bears no resemblance to playoff success. Tampa knows that - they tend to sleepwalk for 6 months and turn into supermen in April.

I think these guys know that and it screws with their heads a bit. It would not surprise me a bit to see the Avs go on a serious run after taking February off.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Agreed. I'm always "glass half full" (sometimes to my regret) . Bottom line is that Bednar is still icing 70% of the team that won the Cup in 2022. I don't think he forgot how to coach and I don't think Cale/Mac/Mikko/Toews/Lehky suddenly forgot how to play at a high level. The fact is that the NHL regular season is the ultimate grind. Where regular season success (hi Boston!) bears no resemblance to playoff success. Tampa knows that - they tend to sleepwalk for 6 months and turn into supermen in April.

I think these guys know that and it screws with their heads a bit. It would not surprise me a bit to see the Avs go on a serious run after taking February off.

Yeah, the lighter schedule in April for a change will hopefully let guys heal up a bit before the playoffs too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00