Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Blues | 3-1 L | In honor of Friends: "The One Where The Avs Lost 3-1"

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hubie will be a good player, but Landy was the right pick. You can't build a team with pure skill, you need some grit as well (see Oilers). Landy added skill (not as much as Hubie, but 30-30 sort), good defense, and grit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Rookies can rarely keep up their pace through an 82 game season (what Landy did down the stretch last year is rare), so I would expect an 82 game Hubie to put up 40-45. Which is a great rookie season. I expect he will be a 65-70 point player in the future with maybe a few years around PPG.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Hubie will be a good player, but Landy was the right pick. You can't build a team with pure skill, you need some grit as well (see Oilers). Landy added skill (not as much as Hubie, but 30-30 sort), good defense, and grit.

Even if Hubby will put up more points, I fully agree we needed a player like Landeskog more than Huberdeau. Especially after giving up Stewart. If we didn't have Duchene, then maybe we would have gone for Huberdeau..

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Landy is too good looking to be gritty. :sarcasm:

I still remember him covering his face when diving to block a shot. Landy...you're going to lose a few teeth in your career. Get over it.

Even if Hubby will put up more points, I fully agree we needed a player like Landeskog more than Huberdeau. Especially after giving up Stewart. If we didn't have Duchene, then maybe we would have gone for Huberdeau..

Pracey would have taken Landy first overall and would have done so regardless of Duchene, Stewart, or any other player. Landy is absolutely Pracey's style of pick.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Landy is too good looking to be gritty. I still remember him covering his face when diving to block a shot. Landy...you're going to lose a few teeth in your career. Get over it.

Let's see you dive in front of an NHL shot, face first, and see if you don't cover your face.

Seriously, you're bordering on irrational dislike of Landeskog

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Landy is too good looking to be gritty. I still remember him covering his face when diving to block a shot. Landy...you're going to lose a few teeth in your career. Get over it.

That is just not true. And every players cover their face if they have to block a shoot that way.

In one of Landys first games in Sweden during the lockout he literally dove face first to block a shot when their point guy loaded the big bomb. He was like an inch away from going Laperrière.

If you want to bash Landy, do it where you actually have a case.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
If he hits those stats I'll eat my scrotum.

LOL. :laugh:

Good stuff happening in this forum.

Landeskog is clearly a good player, but he hasn't shown the puck skill one would typically associate with a #2 overall pick. And more importantly, he really didn't show much improvement in his 2nd year over his 1st year.

But, injury/sh**ty team and all of that. Next season is a big one for him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
LOL. :laugh:

Good stuff happening in this forum.

Landeskog is clearly a good player, but he hasn't shown the puck skill one would typically associate with a #2 overall pick. And more importantly, he really didn't show much improvement in his 2nd year over his 1st year.

But, injury/sh**ty team and all of that. Next season is a big one for him.

There is something called a sophomore slump for a reason... It is common. RNH was bad this year too, was he not worthy of the #1 pick?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
That is just not true. And every players cover their face if they have to block a shoot that way.

In one of Landys first games in Sweden during the lockout he literally dove face first to block a shot when their point guy loaded the big bomb. He was like an inch away from going Laperrière.

If you want to bash Landy, do it where you actually have a case.

I'll give it a shot.

My criticism of Landeskog, is that he doesn't use his linemates well in the offensive zone. Everything is at the net, 100% of the time - very little puck movement to other players. He did this all of last year, and all of this year.

Now, that's a safe offensive game, and I'm not bummed about Landeskog much at all, at age 19. But, you did ask for a case.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll give it a shot.

My criticism of Landeskog, is that he doesn't use his linemates well in the offensive zone. Everything is at the net, 100% of the time - very little puck movement to other players. He did this all of last year, and all of this year.

Now, that's a safe offensive game, and I'm not bummed about Landeskog much at all, at age 19. But, you did ask for a case.

Just because Landy shoots first most of the time doesn't mean he doesn't use his linemates. He makes smart passes all the time out there, and he's by far the best and most active forward at passing back to the D.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
There is something called a sophomore slump for a reason... It is common. RNH was bad this year too, was he not worthy of the #1 pick?

Please. I'm not bashing Landeskog as a player or as the #2 pick. I'm just commenting on what I observe on the ice. That's it.

He's a very good young player, but one with holes in his game. As almost every young player has. Please don't take it as anything more than that. IMO, his upside WAY outstrips any downside.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'll give it a shot.

I think he is a player that should go 100% to the net all the time. But this season he isn't doing it the same way. He tries to be more skilled and look for passes in a way that just isn't him.. But hopefully this season will be a good lesson for him.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Just because Landy shoots first most of the time doesn't mean he doesn't use his linemates. He makes smart passes all the time out there, and he's by far the best and most active forward at passing back to the D.

I'll respectfully take issue with that opinion.

I don't see Landeskog moving the puck to his teammates much at all - at least at even strength, and at least in the offensive zone. He crosses the blue line and either shoots or dumps almost every single time.

Again, those are safe plays, and I most certainly prefer them to risky plays. But his awareness of his teammates on the ice in the offensive zone isn't there yet, IMO.

Again, before the masses s**t their collective panties, I believe he's a terrific young player. But one who (which is normal) has his weaknesses. I'm simply pointing out one that I see.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
The thing with staz everyone over looks I how often we comment on him being invisible. That's a GOOD thing. Pap also has that quality until he gets a point. I rarely notice him out there until he go's on the scoreboard. What that says to me is that they're doing the small things right. Things that all of our top six should do. If staz takes a pay cut, he's well worth keeping in comparison to what he brings to the team to what he'll return.

I don't think k he's a bust, nor is landy, duch, ej, or ror(short of a contract I don't think he'll live up to.)

Rough couple of seasons, rough couple of years. I'm not pulling the ejection handle on any of them u til we get two years in with a decent coach and they continue to suck.

Varly deserves as much or more criticism as anyone else and he's always forgotten it seem.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ehm, no. He is on pace for 48 points in an 82 games season.

But he obviously will be a better pointproducer than Landeskog. But luckily for us. Points isn't everything.

How do you figure?

Ok, so maybe he's not exactly on pace for 70 points in 82 games but....

As of today he has 28 points in 47 games. Lets just assume he gets 1 or 2 more points in his last game which gives him 29 or 30 points in 48 games.

In 82 game season, that's a pace for 64, 63 points, or if he doesn't get any points in his last game, he's on pace for 62 points in 82 games.

That's still better than what Landeskog did in his rookie year.

Edit: Also you could say that if Huberdeau played this year with Duchene and PAP both having such a good season, he would easily get that 70 point pace in 82 game season.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll respectfully take issue with that opinion.

I don't see Landeskog moving the puck to his teammates much at all - at least at even strength, and at least in the offensive zone. He crosses the blue line and either shoots or dumps almost every single time.

Again, those are safe plays, and I most certainly prefer them to risky plays. But his awareness of his teammates on the ice in the offensive zone isn't there yet, IMO.

Again, before the masses s**t their collective panties, I believe he's a terrific young player. But one who (which is normal) has his weaknesses. I'm simply pointing out one that I see.

I really couldn't disagree more here AB.

He routinely passes back to the D on almost every shift after he comes out of the corner with the puck. He also makes a lot of passes to his forward linemates when there clearly is no shot on net after cycling. When there is he takes the shot no questions asked.

That's how it should be. He makes the right play with the puck pretty much every time, and this includes passing when he should.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How do you figure?

As of today he has 28 points in 47 games. Lets just assume he gets 1 or 2 more points in his last game which gives him 29 or 30 points in 48 games.

In 82 game season, that's a pace for 64, 63 points, or if he doesn't get any points in his last game, he's on pace for 62 points in 82 games.

Edit: Also you could say that if Huberdeau played this year with Duchene and PAP both having such a good season, he would easily get that 70 point pace in 82 game season.
What are you talking about? Even if we assume he gets 1 or 2 points in his last game to make it 30 in 48 games. He still isn't on pace for 63-64 points in an 82 game season. Stop making up stuff! 30 points in 48 games means 51 points in an 82 game season. You just want to pretend he has more points than he does. No idea why. And that is NOT better than Landeskog did in his rookie year.

Seriously. If you want to debate. Stop making up facts. And for gods sake. Stop making up stats!

If Huberdeau played with Duchene and PAP he would have more points. Yes. But I don't know where you are going with that. Landeskog hasn't played with Duchene and PAP.

In the future, if you want to discuss Landeskog vs Huberdeau, you have to start looking at more than just points. There is no question Huberdeau will be a better point producer than Landeskog. But that is not what Landeskog is about.

landesberg

varlamov4ever
May 29, 2011
London, ON
ITT, people add extra points to statlines so they can say theoretically a player can outproduce another.

if Huberdeau can get another 2pts, and goes +28 in his last game, we can say his rookie season is as good as Landeskog's last season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How do you figure?

You can say that Huberdeau would score those 70 points as much as you want... doesn't make it true.

Right now Huberdeau is on a ~49 point pace over 82 games. Disregarding the fact that most rookies slow down over the least half of the season. That is a pretty successful year, but there is no way that you can say that performance shows without a doubt that Huberdeau was a better pick. Landy had slightly better numbers, being younger when his season started, starting off on the '3rd' line, playing in all situations, playing better defensively, etc.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
How do you figure?

You need to check your math there, as its pretty far off. You're also basing everything off what might possibly happen, which makes it more ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad