Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Blues | 3-1 L | In honor of Friends: "The One Where The Avs Lost 3-1"

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
I'd like to see ej play with another nhl calibre defenseman that can keep up and not be a liability. I don't think he's a bust. This board is very quick to trade or declare a player a bust on numbers alone.

I don't think any defenseman in the league is going to do days better in his situation. He doesn't even have a chance to succeed right now. Our d is laughable. Take ej out of the picture and the only player left on our d that SHOULD be in the nhl would be Hejda, narrowly.

Just like duch last season, ej is in a slump and I'm not worried at all.

How about we trade varly too? He's been one of the biggest miserable failures on this team this year too. Come to think of it, duch and pap have been the only real shining points, save Barrie.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Is anyone else worried that EJ is just not the answer this team is looking for?

I would package EJ and Stastny for someone like Yandle, and hope to draft Jones.

If you're making that deal then Martin Hanzal better be coming with Yandle or else they absolutely fleece the Avs. They get a guy who has been stuck on the 3rd line playing primarily defensive hockey putting up 50+ points, and a player who still has a very high ceiling and plays against the top lines every night, for Keith Yandle who, although a very good point producer from the back end, does not play against the opposition's top lines every night, that is Ekman-Larsson's job. If this trade were made I'd give up on the Avs and hope that Duchene gets traded somewhere else so he can prosper lol

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Some people think a deal involving Stastny and Hjamlarsson (a legit top four dman) is a bad deal.

So clearly

Why do we pick on him so much if he's worth more than a dman like Hjalmarsson? He's on par with Yandle. He's a GHOST in at least half the games he plays year after year lately and we fans know and harp on him for it. Despite this, we still think NO OTHER Gm in the league knows this too and want him traded for some magical defensman that is better than Yandle and Hammer.

I love stastny, but I want him traded if he can't convert to LW to play with either Dutch or Radar

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Some people think a deal involving Stastny and Hjamlarsson (a legit top four dman) is a bad deal.

So clearly

Why do we pick on him so much if he's worth more than a dman like Hjalmarsson? He's on par with Yandle. He's a GHOST in at least half the games he plays year after year lately and we fans know and harp on him for it. Despite this, we still think NO OTHER Gm in the league knows this too and want him traded for some magical defensman that is better than Yandle and Hammer.

I love stastny, but I want him traded if he can't convert to LW to play with either Dutch or Radar

Its because we see how well he played his first few seasons when he was given a top 6 role, putting up 78, 71, 36 (in 45 games), and 79 points. His only real regression was 2010-2011 when he had 57 points in 74 games but really who didn't have a bad season that year.

He was the 2nd line center last season and had 53 points in 79 games but he gets the bulk of the starts in the defensive zone, as he has this season and is relegated to 3rd line duties. I love Duchene and think he's the 1st line center of the future for this club but what do people think Stastny would do if he was given Parenteau to play with? Or if he was given Landeskog and Downie?

Stastny is a ghost because he doesn't put up the big numbers anymore but he does so much subtle things that go unnoticed as the 3rd line center, because a 3rd line center isn't supposed to be flashy. Problem is, Stastny is not a 3rd line center. I've said it before, I'm in favor of moving O'Reilly at next year's hopefully extended trade deadline and making Stastny the permanent 2nd line center to play with Landeskog and Downie because I think he can return to being a 60+ point player, something that is perfectly fine with me for a 2nd line center

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is anyone else worried that EJ is just not the answer this team is looking for?

I would package EJ and Stastny for someone like Yandle, and hope to draft Jones.

This might just be the worst post you've ever made. Even worse than the Duchene is a bust thread. Go to the box and feel shame.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Stop worrying about Duchene and EJ. Start worrying about Landeskog.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You are just dying to be right about him aren't you? :)

It's a win-win situation. Either I'm right (like I was about Stastny) or the Avs don't have a bust for their second pick and we get to watch the Avs make the playoffs sooner rather than later.

Also I secretly hope Landeskog reads these boards and that I and people like me light a fire under him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
It's a win-win situation. Either I'm right (like I was about Stastny) or the Avs don't have a bust for their second pick and we get to watch the Avs make the playoffs sooner rather than later.

Also I secretly hope Landeskog reads these boards and that I and people like me light a fire under him.

I'm not concerned about Landeskog. Too smart to fail.

I'm a little concerned that Ryan O'reilly isn't the offensive player we hoped he was but I suppose in that case we'll trade him at the deadline.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Like I've said from the start of this year, I really hope he goes back to the style of play he had last year. Throw everything at the net, hit everyone and be one of the most reliable players defensively. It's a simple game but nothing to be ashamed about. It's like he expects us to demand a more skilled player in year two. Obviously Huberdeau is going to be the more skilled one. No question. That is not Landys game and he shouldn't try to be someone he is not. If he goes back to the style of play he had last year. He can easily be one of those 30 goals, 30 assists and 30+, year in year out for the next decade. And if he does that. He is a hell of a pick.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Like I've said from the start of this year, I really hope he goes back to the style of play he had last year. Throw everything at the net, hit everyone and be one of the most reliable players defensively. It's a simple game but nothing to be ashamed about. It's like he expects us to demand a more skilled player in year two. Obviously Huberdeau is going to be the more skilled one. No question. That is not Landys game and he shouldn't try to be someone he is not. If he goes back to the style of play he had last year. He can easily be one of those 30 goals, 30 assists and 30+, year in year out for the next decade. And if he does that. He is a hell of a pick.

If he hits those stats I'll eat my scrotum.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If he hits those stats I'll eat my scrotum.

Well, I meant average around 30 goals, 30 assist and 30+ every year. Not get passed that EVERY season. Haha.

I know you don't like him. But how low do you rate him? Not even a top 6 forward? Where is his ceiling when it comes to stats?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Well, I meant average around 30 goals, 30 assist and 30+ every year. Not get passed that EVERY season. Haha.

I know you don't like him. But how low do you rate him? Not even a top 6 forward? Where is his ceiling when it comes to stats?

At best he is a 60 point 25-35 second line winger with decent D. At worst he is a 40-50 point guy...also a second liner. I don't see him reaching Duchene's PPG status at all and I have a hard time imagining an average of 30 goals year in year out. 30+ is also hard to believe. I'd like him to be a first liner, but I don't see it. That is one of the reasons I want Drouin on this team (wouldn't mind the other two though).

I just don't see the hands or footspeed of an elite player, and I always felt his stats in the O were padded because he was a big body. The good news, to me at least, is that Landy has a very strong work ethic and wants to prove himself.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At best he is a 60 point 25-35 second line winger with decent D. At worst he is a 40-50 point guy...also a second liner. I don't see him reaching Duchene's PPG status at all and I have a hard time imagining an average of 30 goals year in year out. 30+ is also hard to believe. I'd like him to be a first liner, but I don't see it. That is one of the reasons I want Drouin on this team (wouldn't mind the other two though).

I just don't see the hands or footspeed of an elite player, and I always felt his stats in the O were padded because he was a big body. The good news, to me at least, is that Landy has a very strong work ethic and wants to prove himself.

Should of drafted Huberdeau. He's on pace for 70 point season in 82 games in his rookie year.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Should of drafted Huberdeau. He's on pace for 70 point season in 82 games in his rookie year.

Ehm, no. He is on pace for 48 points in an 82 games season.

But he obviously will be a better pointproducer than Landeskog. But luckily for us. Points isn't everything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

But he obviously will be a better pointproducer than Landeskog. But luckily for us. Points isn't everything.

Don't let facts get in the way of conjecture. :laugh:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Wow I should have checked that one. :laugh: I was walking around for a few minutes thinking Huberdeau was already as good as Duchene...

Edit: On pace for 50 points.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wow I should have checked that one. :laugh: I was walking around for a few minutes thinking Huberdeau was already as good as Duchene...

Edit: On pace for 50 points.

I don't believe that Huberdeau will ever be "as good" as Duchene. Because points don't mean everything, but for some reason you have always been fixated on points. Not that that's bad, but it's just that points don't tell the whole story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad