Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Blues | 3-1 L | In honor of Friends: "The One Where The Avs Lost 3-1"

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Not sure I'd agree his heart is not in Colorado, but I do think its clear that he can see that the Avs have ROR (or possibly a draft pick) as the #2C behind Duchene for the future.
Even though he is putting up very similar #'s/gm last year and this year as O'Reilly, he just gets whatever linemates are left, and gets a more defensive roll anymore.

I'll be happy to see him succeeding elsewhere for sure, he's been a good Av.

True that. I like Stastny, but of course It's frustrating to see him in this situation..

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
that would be nice, hopefully armstrong doesn't bend us over and we can get one of their better up and comer type players. schwartz is out of the question but maybe a jaskin or a cole would be nice.

Berglund + Jaskin would be a nice package assuming we draft Jones with our pick.

Otherwise, if we draft Mack/Barkov we have to trade Stas for a Dman if were gonna move him.

I hope we would at least try to resign him first, and only once it has become clear that he doesn't want to stay do we move him.

Personally, I think we should trade ROR and keep Stas if we draft Mack/Barkov. Higher caliber Dman in a deal for ROR.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
sure didn't take long for a Stastny to Blues bandwagon. I don't see it happening at the draft or off-season. He'll stay for now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
sure didn't take long for a Stastny to Blues bandwagon. I don't see it happening at the draft or off-season. He'll stay for now.

I don't think so honestly.

If we draft Mackinnon or Barkov, I would fully expect Stastny to be traded either at the draft or later in the offseason.

ROR cant be traded right now, and theres no way we would roll a Duchene - ROR - Stas - Barkov Center combo. And none of those guys have ever played Wing for an extended amount of time.

One of them would have to be moved IMO, and that would likely be Stastny.

Maybe not to STL though. But as RobinDIF said just a couple posts ago, I think we'll all feel somewhat underwhelmed by the return Stastny brings.

Mant*

Sounds like Staz is on his way out. Shame because I think he will get his game back on another team.

Of course he would... on another team he wouldn't have a couple of AHL players on his line. The Avalanche don't have enough NHL players to go around... they barely have enough to make one good line.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
If Stastny hits UFA, he's going to go to St. Louis. He sounded so happy talking about the city and the fans in his 2nd intermission interview on the Blues feed.

Hope he's dealt at the draft.
So because he's fond of his hometown...he's a lock to go there?

The only thing negative about a potential Stastny trade is that people on here will cry about the "lame return" he gets back at this point. Despite having three poor season and is a pending UFA with a 6.6M cap hit.
No the negative is that he'd go somewhere else, excel at th level he was in his first couple years and everyone would moan and complain. Especially if O'Money doesn't live up to his salary next year or is traded at the deadline. Which I think is still much more likely than trading Stastny.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So because he's fond of his hometown...he's a lock to go there?
Not just that, but as I've mentioned in other threads, he's not going to want to stick around here in the role he's being used in (essentially the 3rd line center) and being given weaker wingers than the other two. He can cash in elsewhere and play a bigger role on other teams. Avs have to get something for him before that happens.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
If we do get Mackinnon or Barkov I'd almost rather keep Stastny than O'money. I know it doesn't make sense in terms of roles though since ROR is the best defensive center we have and Staz shouldn't be in that role.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Of course it didn't, most of the people around here just want Stastny gone. Agreed, if he gets moved it will be the same as ROR...at the deadline.

I don't think so honestly.

If we draft Mackinnon or Barkov, I would fully expect Stastny to be traded either at the draft or later in the offseason.

ROR cant be traded right now, and theres no way we would roll a Duchene - ROR - Stas - Barkov Center combo. And none of those guys have ever played Wing for an extended amount of time

One of them would have to be moved IMO, and that would likely be Stastny.

Maybe not to STL though. But as RobinDIF said just a couple posts ago, I think we'll all feel somewhat underwhelmed by the return Stastny brings.
Unless we sit sad drafted center in the minors and deal ROR at the deadline. It will be interesting to see how long before people really start to turn on ROR and/or Duchene if we do draft a hot shot young center.

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012
I missed the game but I noticed that Barrie logged a huge 24 minutes, 3 more minutes then the second most played Defencemen (Zanon). I was wondering how he played?

Also, what's everyone perception of Vincour? What line did he play on?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I missed the game but I noticed that Barrie logged a huge 24 minutes, 3 more minutes then the second most played Defencemen (Zanon). I was wondering how he played?

Also, what's everyone perception of Vincour? What line did he play on?
He played 4th line center most of the time. Got a few shifts elsewhere, but not much; however, he did stand out at times on his line. Team played like poop though.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Vincour was shaky and lacking confidence out there and its too soon to evaluate what he brings. Reminded me of the very nervous way Barrie and Malone played in their first games with the Avs. Hopefully he'll get some more looks with skill guys over the next two games. May as well find out what he can do.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Vincour was shaky and lacking confidence out there and its too soon to evaluate what he brings. Reminded me of the very nervous way Barrie and Malone played in their first games with the Avs. Hopefully he'll get some more looks with skill guys over the next two games. May as well find out what he can do.

Agreed. I was pretty impressed with his skating though.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Just because Stastny is being played in a more defensive role and less ice-time right now doesn't necessarily mean that is how he would continue to be used in the future.

They already had 4+ years of track record of Stastny in a more offensive and top-line role, but of course needed to know what they had in Duchene and ROR. They now have a pretty good picture of what each of the 3 guys can do in various offensive and defensive roles as well, and I think overall they are likely feeling pretty good with their current top 3 center situation. They've got options, regardless of how the draft plays out.

And if their is a coaching change, that could also play a big role in how all our players are used differently than they currently may be. (Let's sure hope.)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just because Stastny is being played in a more defensive role and less ice-time right now doesn't necessarily mean that is how he would continue to be used in the future.

They already had 4+ years of track record of Stastny in a more offensive and top-line role, but of course needed to know what they had in Duchene and ROR. They now have a pretty good picture of what each of the 3 guys can do in various offensive and defensive roles as well, and I think overall they are likely feeling pretty good with their current top 3 center situation. They've got options, regardless of how the draft plays out.

And if their is a coaching change, that could also play a big role in how all our players are used differently than they currently may be. (Let's sure hope.)

Problem is, why pay Stastny/O'Reilly the money they are making only to have one of them as the 3rd line center? Personally, I'd like to see the deadline hopefully get extended next season and the Avs move O'Reilly for either a top 4 defenseman or a goal scoring winger, package him with other parts if necessary. I just don't believe he's going to ever back down from his contract demands, while Stastny seems like the kind of guy who might take a pay cut, say around 4-5 million to play as the 2nd line center.

I see Florida drafting Jones, so preference of mine would be to draft Drouin, then at the deadline next season, say a trade like O'Reilly + Mitchell for Cowen + Greening? Just a quick proposal but it could have our lineup at the deadline looking like this

Drouin-Duchene-Parenteau
Landeskog-Stastny-Downie
McGinn-Greening-Vincour
McLeod-Malone-Palushaj

Cowen-Johnson
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Hunwick/Zanon/O'Brien

Assuming David Jones is hopefully bought out or traded in the summer. I like it, 3rd line is questionable but I like the speed the line has especially if a guy like Greening was added

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Is anyone else worried that EJ is just not the answer this team is looking for?

I would package EJ and Stastny for someone like Yandle, and hope to draft Jones.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Atrocious.

Why?

Neither EJ or Stastny done anything last couple of years or so. EJ hasn't played like a top 2 d-man, and Stastny's production keeps going down.

Look at Yandle though. Yotes are not a playoff team yet Yandle is putting up great numbers again.

I don't think PHX will do Yandle for Stastny and EJ anyway.

Last edited:

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

I would package EJ and Stastny for someone like Yandle, and hope to draft Jones.

Im starting to think EJ may not be what we all want him to be...but that is too much for Yandle...

Swap Yandle for OEL and add something else in imo...but I doubt Phoenix would be interested...

Staz for Yandle straight up I might be ok with but if we draft Jones and deal Staz...we need wing help...We still need a pure goal scorer on this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Im starting to think EJ may not be what we all want him to be...but that is too much for Yandle...

Swap Yandle for OEL and add something else in imo...but I doubt Phoenix would be interested...

Staz for Yandle straight up I might be ok with but if we draft Jones and deal Staz...we need wing help...We still need a pure goal scorer on this team.

McLeod isn't doing it for you?!? He is on a 82 goal pace over his last 5 games! :laugh:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Yandle isn't that good! I would trade Stastny straight up for him no doubt. But he doesn't even play top minutes on Phoenix. They only play him against 3/4th liners. We can't give up our only solid defenseman for someone like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad