Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What are your guys' thoughts about bringing Hammond back for the veteran role in the AHL? He didn't have a very good season in the AHL, but he was solid in the games that counted and in a situation where I don't think he will find himself in the future.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What are your guys' thoughts about bringing Hammond back for the veteran role in the AHL? He didn't have a very good season in the AHL, but he was solid in the games that counted and in a situation where I don't think he will find himself in the future.

I think it would be a solid move. If the Avs are bringing a guy in through a trade, maybe I'd pause. But with a pure free agent look, I think the Avs could do far, far worse.

That said, I doubt Toronto qualifies Pickard... I'd rather have Picks back for that role if he becomes a free agent. I wouldn't even mind throwing a conditional pick (based on NHL games played) to Toronto to pick up his rights earlier.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the best solution for our goalie situation would be if we all talked soooooooo much shit about Martin all summer, that he’d be guaranteed a Vezina caliber year wearing those gorgeous (though oddly inverted) pads :yo:

Reactions: MarkT

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
As a plan C, sure, why not. But I would hope we have a plan A and B fall through first.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm good with bringing Hammond back for the new AHL team. Ideally he should be the vet #4 though that mentors a promising young goaltender that you give most the starts to. I'm not sure Martin is that guy, so it will be interesting to see how they address the goaltending down there.

I could see some trades this summer that bring in some extra competition that force Hammond out though. They need some sort of plan for the future between the pipes, and right now they really don't seem to have one.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If Hammond is willing to take an AHL deal, so be it - but I seriously doubt he'll be re-signing with Colorado.

His performance in Game 5 will live on forever in Avalanche lore. But prior to that, the organization basically did everything in it's power to make sure he did not touch NHL ice - and frankly, I think we all saw why with some of the goals he allowed in Game 6.

I hope Hammond catches on as a back-up in the NHL somewhere.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

He gave a lot of credit to Jussi Parkkila during his time with the Avs. I wouldn’t mind seeing what they could do over the course of a full year together. Near as I can tell Hammond never had anyone work on his technique before—he just relied on reflexes and athleticism to make saves.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm cool with Hammond or Pickard for that #3/AHL vet job. If Martin or Werner can steal the job from them then sweet, but if not, then using the AHL starter spot to keep our #3 sharp is fine by me.

Reactions: Pure and CobraAcesS

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Lets hope Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina go in some order in the top three. The Sens can then get someone who won't be able to help them next year.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Hammond is willing to take an AHL deal, so be it - but I seriously doubt he'll be re-signing with Colorado.

His performance in Game 5 will live on forever in Avalanche lore. But prior to that, the organization basically did everything in it's power to make sure he did not touch NHL ice - and frankly, I think we all saw why with some of the goals he allowed in Game 6.

I hope Hammond catches on as a back-up in the NHL somewhere.

Avs could give Hammond a ~$1 mil, one-way contract that would most be enough to retain Hammond, I don't see many other teams offering that to him. No team is going to hand him a back-up position, so being #3 on the depth chart on a team with 2 injury-prone goaltenders seems like a decent opportunity. Also, his AHL play didn't warrant the opportunity to play in meaningful games for the Avs, why would they have confidence in a goaltender that literally had a .900 SV% against weaker competition?

I'm sure teams realize that Hammond has potential to steal a game or two throughout the season, but no team is going to believe he has the consistency to be a backup in the NHL. They'd rather have a goalie that can simply make saves that should be saved, rather than gamble on Hammond being a sieve or the 2nd coming of Roy.

Reactions: McMetal

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Avs could give Hammond a ~$1 mil, one-way contract that would most be enough to retain Hammond, I don't see many other teams offering that to him. No team is going to hand him a back-up position, so being #3 on the depth chart on a team with 2 injury-prone goaltenders seems like a decent opportunity. Also, his AHL play didn't warrant the opportunity to play in meaningful games for the Avs, why would they have confidence in a goaltender that literally had a .900 SV% against weaker competition?

I'm sure teams realize that Hammond has potential to steal a game or two throughout the season, but no team is going to believe he has the consistency to be a backup in the NHL. They'd rather have a goalie that can simply make saves that should be saved, rather than gamble on Hammond being a sieve or the 2nd coming of Roy.

I agree with everything you're saying but I come to the opposite conclusion. If nobody would offer him that, why should we? I get he's enticing because he had that one great stretch and played one great game with us, but if we're going to roll the dice on a 3rd string goalie I'd rather do so with a guy under 30. The only way I'd sign him really is if the goalie experts within the organization think that they know exactly what's wrong with his game and are confident they can fix it.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I agree with everything you're saying but I come to the opposite conclusion. If nobody would offer him that, why should we? I get he's enticing because he had that one great stretch and played one great game with us, but if we're going to roll the dice on a 3rd string goalie I'd rather do so with a guy under 30. The only way I'd sign him really is if the goalie experts within the organization think that they know exactly what's wrong with his game and are confident they can fix it.

Because we actually need him more than most teams. There's a high probability our #3 goalie will play a few games next year, and i'd rather that be Hammond over someone like Tokarski. Any UFA goalie that will agree to sign as #3 in the depth chart isn't going to develop into anything.

Reactions: agentblack

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I’m of the opinion if he wants to remain here as a no. 3 then keep him but I be t he wants to parlay some of that hamburgler renaissance into a nicer deal and opportunity

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Because we actually need him more than most teams. There's a high probability our #3 goalie will play a few games next year, and i'd rather that be Hammond over someone like Tokarski. Any UFA goalie that will agree to sign as #3 in the depth chart isn't going to develop into anything.

I honestly haven't looked into the other options, but if you're right then I'd expect Sakic to work hard to trade for a good 3rd goalie for us. keeping Hammond would be, in my mind, a bit of a loss because it doesn't really solve anything long-term and if anything is will prevent our current goalie prospects from getting the starts they need to develop. That is, of course, if he is indeed the 3rd best goalie in the organization. If he's not, then there really is little point in signing him. Honestly, he's a guy I could totally see going oversea to be a starter again and try to prove he's worth another shot in the NHL.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I honestly haven't looked into the other options, but if you're right then I'd expect Sakic to work hard to trade for a good 3rd goalie for us. keeping Hammond would be, in my mind, a bit of a loss because it doesn't really solve anything long-term and if anything is will prevent our current goalie prospects from getting the starts they need to develop. That is, of course, if he is indeed the 3rd best goalie in the organization. If he's not, then there really is little point in signing him. Honestly, he's a guy I could totally see going oversea to be a starter again and try to prove he's worth another shot in the NHL.
I mean, Martin's a bust at this point, Kvaca's not ready to come over, and Werner will reportedly be loaned to an SHL team for next year. It's not like he would be blocking anybody from getting starts here.

That said, I think I would rather get some boring goalie like McElhinny or somebody like that for the #3 spot. Hammy is hot and cold, I'd rather get a generic off-the-shelf tender who will neither win nor lose games by himself if we need a few starts next year. That is of course if we can't get a young guy in a trade, but I'm not going to count on that.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I mean, Martin's a bust at this point, Kvaca's not ready to come over, and Werner will reportedly be loaned to an SHL team for next year. It's not like he would be blocking anybody from getting starts here.

That said, I think I would rather get some boring goalie like McElhinny or somebody like that for the #3 spot. Hammy is hot and cold, I'd rather get a generic off-the-shelf tender who will neither win nor lose games by himself if we need a few starts next year. That is of course if we can't get a young guy in a trade, but I'm not going to count on that.

I would too, but goalies like McElhinney who have a proven track record of being consistent as a NHL backup won't accept a deal where they're the #3. We would be looking at goalies such as Tokarski, C. Gibson, Berra, Lindback, etc.

Reactions: McMetal

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I would too, but goalies like McElhinney who have a proven track record of being consistent as a NHL backup won't accept a deal where they're the #3. We would be looking at goalies such as Tokarski, C. Gibson, Berra, Lindback, etc.
That’s what I was thinking too, your gonna have to get career ahlers to agree to be a no.3 not guys that are actually legit NHL backups

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In a vacuum if the return from the trade was just what Girard brings to the table and the one hamburgled playoff win this deal would go down as "They salvaged decent value in a gun-to-the-head deal" a la Carmelo. This is ignoring wasting the other pieces and Duchene and Ott's swoon.

For me the break ever is if Kamenev or Bowers turn into a good 3rd liner. So they pretty much have to go 1 for 5 the rest of the way.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
If I was Dorion, I would strongly consider giving the Avs this pick.

Karlsson is making 6.5 right now. He is probably going to want 9.5-10.5 for his next contract, and I don't see Melnyk going that high. My guess is that they offer 8 max, which he will most likely turn down.

Both Ceci and Stone are RFAs, so they are gonna have to sign both of them.

Does Duchene re-sign if Karlsson is traded or leaves? He was certainly disgruntled enough here during the rebuilding process, so I doubt it is gonna be any different in Ottawa.

Taking all this into account, and given all the teams they would have to beat out to get a playoff spot, I think it is reasonable to say that they are looking at another lottery season. If they hand over a 2019 lottery pick that turns out to be Jack Hughes, that is almost certainly an auto-firing for Dorion, and a unbelievably huge **** storm from the fan base.

You know for sure that this one isn't a lottery pick, but 2019 has a decent chance to come back and you in the ass.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Dorion isn't going to give up the #4 pick in a strong draft (and a player who could help next season). Not only for the reason that the pick has good value now... but the odds of the pick next year being higher are much much lower than it being in the 5-15 range.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's not easy to get worse than giving up a 4OA pick. The lottery is goddamn hard to win now even if you finish bottom 3, as Ottawa just showed this year. Dorion will roll the dice. It's entirely possible that they'll pick 4OA next year too even if they have a 48 point season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's not easy to get worse than giving up a 4OA pick. The lottery is goddamn hard to win now even if you finish bottom 3, as Ottawa just showed this year. Dorion will roll the dice. It's entirely possible that they'll pick 4OA next year too even if they have a 48 point season.

I see you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad