Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
IMO even Nashville with their d core wont win the cup unless they get a better center than what they have now. It's no coincidence that they haven't been able to win it yet. They just don't have a game breaking center or any forward to be honest. Forsberg is a good player and all, but is he really a game breaker? Their #1 center is Ryan Johansen who definitely is not a game breaker.
If they had added to Girard and got Duchene instead of Turris, I think they could’ve won this year, but yea they would need both Duchene and Johnasen, having just one of them probably wouldn’t be enough. In the playoffs the cream usually rises to the top. The NHL isn’t as bad as the NBA but it’s still a star driven league.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still can't get over how well Sakic did. Acquired Turris, Bowers, Hammond, a 1st, and a 3rd for Duchene. Then flipped Turris for Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd. It's the type of move that can really set a team up long-term.

I don't think many would disagree about Duchene being better than Turris but he's not that much better. The extra money you're going to pay on an extension has to be factored in as well. The rumour was Turris wanted 7 or 8 years from the Sens but Melnyk said no. Turris will be 29 when the extension kicks in so I can see why they would be reluctant but Duchene will be 28 and you'll probably have to pay him $7.5-8M/yr.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It is a remarkable haul for one player, especially one who isn't a dominant player. Not a diss on him either, he just isn't in that upper stratosphere of elite talent. Obviously Ottawa thinks he is.

Oh and for all the talk of whether the Sens were a legit contender or perceived as one, it's clear Duchene himself thought he was going to one. In his mind that was the perfect scenario--a team that made it to the Conference Finals the year before and very close to his Haliburton home. I don't envy his current situation where he may have to ask for a trade again, but to be blunt, he got what he wanted.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It is a remarkable haul for one player, especially one who isn't a dominant player. Not a diss on him either, he just isn't in that upper stratosphere of elite talent. Obviously Ottawa thinks he is.

Oh and for all the talk of whether the Sens were a legit contender or perceived as one, it's clear Duchene himself thought he was going to one. In his mind that was the perfect scenario--a team that made it to the Conference Finals the year before and very close to his Haliburton home. I don't envy his current situation where he may have to ask for a trade again, but to be blunt, he got what he wanted.

I'd say he isn't a consistently dominant player. I mean lets be real, the guy has his stretches where he's absolutely incredible and near impossible to play against. But of course he also isn't elite player because he is obviously isn't consistent enough.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd say he isn't a consistently dominant player. I mean lets be real, the guy has his stretches where he's absolutely incredible and near impossible to play against. But of course he also isn't elite player because he is obviously isn't consistent enough.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I would like for him to silence the critics like Patrick O'Sullivan at the very least and play consistently well when the team is still in the thick of things. Of course it benefits the Avs if he doesn't.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I'd agree with that. I would like for him to silence the critics like Patrick O'Sullivan at the very least and play consistently well when the team is still in the thick of things. Of course it benefits the Avs if he doesn't.

Such a shame he could never fully put it all together. What a player he would've been. We'll see how he does with them after a full offseason and see if he can actually keep his chemistry with Hoffman or not, because if so that'd do a lot to silence some critics.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Such a shame he could never fully put it all together. What a player he would've been. We'll see how he does with them after a full offseason and see if he can actually keep his chemistry with Hoffman or not, because if so that'd do a lot to silence some critics.
Of course he'll probably be in the position Recchi was in playing for Montreal or Kessel in Toronto where their good play was always overshadowed by massively overpaying for them.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Duchene simply cant handle high pressure situations. He puts too much pressure on himself to perform and it almost always backfires.

We saw it with us the last couple of years. Anytime he went on a slump it would spiral out of control because he put too much pressure on himself to get out of it. And we saw it when he first went to Ottawa. He put a tonne of pressure on himself to come in and perform at a high level to impress his new team and help them push for the playoffs, and it completely blew up in his face.

It was only after the Sens were well outside the playoff race and any pressure to do well was pretty much gone, that he turned things around and started playing well again.

Sens fans are getting a little cocky about that trade now and some of them still adamantly believe they won the deal, and part of that is because Duchene put up 43 points in his last 44 games. But as Avs fans we know what kind of player he is and I fully expect once again next season for Duchene to go on a very extended(25-30 games) streak where he struggles to score even a single goal and then in the other 45-50 games or so he'll probably get 50 points and will finish once again in the ~55 point range. We know the story all too well.

Reactions: klozge

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I still can't get over how well Sakic did. Acquired Turris, Bowers, Hammond, a 1st, and a 3rd for Duchene. Then flipped Turris for Girard, Kamenev, and a 2nd. It's the type of move that can really set a team up long-term.

I don't think many would disagree about Duchene being better than Turris but he's not that much better. The extra money you're going to pay on an extension has to be factored in as well. The rumour was Turris wanted 7 or 8 years from the Sens but Melnyk said no. Turris will be 29 when the extension kicks in so I can see why they would be reluctant but Duchene will be 28 and you'll probably have to pay him $7.5-8M/yr.

I wonder if at one point, during all the talks between the teams, Sakic just muted the conference call and wondered out loud "wow, are we really getting all of this" with MacFarland adding "dude, if it falls apart, just take Girard, Komerev, and the 2nd, that is still a great deal."

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Seeing how poor Turris did in the playoffs (probably injured) and how victimized Preds 3rd pairing has been in the series against the Jets, you have to wonder if they would've been better off having Sammy and Kamenev (there he probably doesn't break his arm and makes the team as the season goes on) for the playoff run.

Reactions: Murzu

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wonder if at one point, during all the talks between the teams, Sakic just muted the conference call and wondered out loud "wow, are we really getting all of this" with MacFarland adding "dude, if it falls apart, just take Girard, Komerev, and the 2nd, that is still a great deal."

Ha. Sakic was probably trying to get even more. Some good details in this article about how it reportedly went down:

https://www.tsn.ca/inside-how-the-duchene-trade-came-back-to-life-1.907290

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think the real kicker of the deal was getting Bowers added. He was already getting a 1st, 3rd, and Turris who he planned to flip for even more assets. Prying Bowers loose, especially given that the Sens FO was really high on him, was a really good move. The trade really didn't need Bowers to work from Ottawa's end, but Sakic got a valuable young center asset added anyway.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think the real kicker of the deal was getting Bowers added. He was already getting a 1st, 3rd, and Turris who he planned to flip for even more assets. Prying Bowers loose, especially given that the Sens FO was really high on him, was a really good move. The trade really didn't need Bowers to work from Ottawa's end, but Sakic got a valuable young center asset added anyway.
Sakic didn't even have to take Dorion to Red Lobster first.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
ceiling is pretty high for both Kamenev and Bowers? Could be a 2nd line winger and center respecfully. Bowers is probably too early to judge but Kamenev has played four productive years in the AHL and should be in Avs uniform next season.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
With today's trade, he's parleyed a disgruntled Duchene into:

Sam Girard
Shane Bowers
Vladislav Kamenev
Andrew Hammond
Justus Annunen
Danila Zhuravlyon
Ottawa's 2019 1st
Ottawa's 2019 3rd

That's over a full draft worth of players there.

Since the Avalanche got Duchene, O'Reilly and Barrie out of the same draft, they have those 8, Barrie, JT Compher, Nikolai Zadorov, AJ Greer, Cam Morrison and Dennis Smirnov to show for that.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If Ottawa all the sudden offered Tkachuk for their pick back, I'd rather take the gamble on next year. Zadina is the only player I'd take over next year's gamble.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I still can't believe the Sens reportedly hinged (or at least partially hinged) their decision on whether or not to give up the pick to Colorado on whether or not Tkachuk would be there at 4th overall.

Then picked him, and found out about the report of him wanting to go back to college afterwards.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I still can't believe the Sens reportedly hinged (or at least partially hinged) their decision on whether or not to give up the pick to Colorado on whether or not Tkachuk would be there at 4th overall.
Tkachuk is a great player that will bring more than just offensive production to that team. I can't fault them for making that pick because that's exactly what I would have wanted us to do if they had given us #4. It is kind of funny that they didn't do their due diligence regarding him returning to college until after drafting him, though.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Tkachuk is a great player that will bring more than just offensive production to that team. I can't fault them for making that pick because that's exactly what I would have wanted us to do if they had given us #4. It is kind of funny that they didn't do their due diligence regarding him returning to college until after drafting him, though.

Oh I'm sure Brady will be a really good player, maybe even franchise-caliber, but I still find it weird that, if, say, the Habs opted for him, Dorion would've been more agreeable to part with the pick with Zadina/Hughes/Kotkaniemi/etc. still on the board. Really? You valued him by THAT much!?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh I'm sure Brady will be a really good player, maybe even franchise-caliber, but I still find it weird that, if, say, the Habs opted for him, Dorion would've been more agreeable to part with the pick with Zadina/Hughes/Kotkaniemi/etc. still on the board. Really? You valued him by THAT much!?

Somehow I doubt it is true.. Remember when what's his face from Calgary said that skinny kid he drafted late in the first was going to be the best player in the draft?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Haha, fair enough. I see where you're coming from now. Maybe similar to how drafting Landy helped turn the Avs around, the Sens drafted Tkachuk expecting a similar reaction from their team. Will it happen? No idea. Brady isn't anywhere as handsome as Gabe is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->