Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I'd be good with $22.5M over 5 years. Or $17.0 M over 4 years, or $12.0 M over 3 years, or $7.5M for 2y, or $3.5M for one year. As maximums. Lower would be better of course, and I would imagine Joe can do it.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
What are the chances of losing him in the expansion draft? The Avs can protect 3, one has to be EJ due to his NMC. I imagine SG and CM are the others. Isn't that how it sets up?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What are the chances of losing him in the expansion draft? The Avs can protect 3, one has to be EJ due to his NMC. I imagine SG and CM are the others. Isn't that how it sets up?

I think EJ will waive since no one would take his $6 million contract

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm probably the outlier... I want term. 5-6-7 years. This a real opportunity to get another Girard like contract that is a bargain in future seasons. Even if he gets pushed down the depth chart in 2-3 seasons, having Toews with ~3-4 years left and being a good top 4 defensemen, he'll have great value on the trade market. It would cost more, likely in the mid to high 4s, but a 6 year deal would be ideal to me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The issue with Toews next contract is can they afford to give him a Girard like long term deal at $5M?

That would be two defenseman at $5M, Makar at $9-10M, plus whatever Byram will make in three years. Not to mention Timmins might not be cheap for long. Whether that's after next year or after a bridge deal. Plus Barron could be up for a raise in 4-5 years.

It's unlikely they'll keep all those guys for 7 years, so then maybe it's better to keep Toews deal to around 4 years. This benefits the team in the short run with a cheaper AAV, and could benefit both the team and Toews more in the long run as well.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If he has a very expensive honeymoon, he's gonna ask for a lot of money obviously. Let's hope his honeymoon was an affordable groupon trip to Cabo

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm probably the outlier... I want term. 5-6-7 years. This a real opportunity to get another Girard like contract that is a bargain in future seasons. Even if he gets pushed down the depth chart in 2-3 seasons, having Toews with ~3-4 years left and being a good top 4 defensemen, he'll have great value on the trade market. It would cost more, likely in the mid to high 4s, but a 6 year deal would be ideal to me.

The issue with going 6+ years is how much more money is he going to ask for to buy that many UFA years?

I’m kinda surprised the contract isn’t done yet. Hopefully they’re not too far apart in negotiations.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Makar took two years to make the roster, and feeling pretty good about that one.
Different circumstances. Makar needed that extra year, and it showed when you compare his two college seasons. He was talented, but extremely raw and needed time to put the toolbox together. Byram has less pure raw talent, but he is also way more refined at the same age. He wasn't ready at 18, but he could spend three more seasons in major junior and be exactly as ready as he is now. There's little else he can learn there, he needs to take the next step now.

I hate to say it, but development still is not linear.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Different circumstances. Makar needed that extra year, and it showed when you compare his two college seasons. He was talented, but extremely raw and needed time to put the toolbox together. Byram has less pure raw talent, but he is also way more refined at the same age. He wasn't ready at 18, but he could spend three more seasons in major junior and be exactly as ready as he is now. There's little else he can learn there, he needs to take the next step now.

I hate to say it, but development still is not linear.
Ya, really stinks that it is juniors or NHL only. Be nice to give him a year in the AHL.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ya, really stinks that it is juniors or NHL only. Be nice to give him a year in the AHL.
Even half a year, just as a transition thing. It would probably be plenty. As it stands, he just needs to take his lumps in the NHL, and by the time playoffs roll around he should be ready for that kind of pressure and maybe even a larger role. He just needs experience.

Reactions: Richard Doll

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
As long as they are not dishing out silly NTCs and exorbitant AAVs, I think it'd be a worthwhile gamble to sign Toews to a longer Girard type of deal. Girard's deal only has a modified NTC kicking in the last three years. Barring a major injury or a sharp decline in play neither Girard or Toews on a similar deal would be difficult to move if the cap became an issue, and both likely would have strong trade value. And the Avs have the pipeline to replace either. As long as they're not signing guys to deals who will be impossible to move, they don't need to feel too restricted to the Mackinnon contract window.

Reactions: Iceberg

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I just hope that if he makes some mistakes, which he will, that Bednar thinks big picture and doesn't just stick him in the dog house.

We need him to develop into a top 4 and while his ELC still works to our advantage. Having him play big minutes on that contract would be huge for us.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just hope that if he makes some mistakes, which he will, that Bednar thinks big picture and doesn't just stick him in the dog house.

We need him to develop into a top 4 and while his ELC still works to our advantage. Having him play big minutes on that contract would be huge for us.
Bednar seems to be pretty good about letting young guys play and make mistakes. As long as your learning from them and growing.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Agreed.

The more certainty, moving forward, the better. As long as they spend on the right guys, knowing what room they have to work with longterm will be more valuable than an extra ~$1M here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad