Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sakic isn't the type to rush things. The deadline is a ways out, he'll be deliberate about this one, especially because of our proximity to the cap. He'll likely want to bank as much cap space as he can before the deadline in case we need to add.

Reactions: Richard88

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Sakic's last piece of business. Let's hope he knocks it out of the park

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Sakic's last piece of business. Let's hope he knocks it out of the park
I’m actually getting a little nervous that Toews isn’t bending over the way everyone else does for Joe. I wonder if he thought he’d acquire him and immediately offer him the Graves contract for a slam dunk since their stats are near identical but with Graves playing tougher minutes but Toews camp are certainly well aware that he’s better than Graves even if there isn’t much tangible evidence to prove that.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’m actually getting a little nervous that Toews isn’t bending over the way everyone else does for Joe. I wonder if he thought he’d acquire him and immediately offer him the Graves contract for a slam dunk since their stats are near identical but with Graves playing tougher minutes but Toews camp are certainly well aware that he’s better than Graves even if there isn’t much tangible evidence to prove that.

RFA's that are a year away from UFA hold all the cards when a team trades for their rights.

Josh Anderson was in the same situation and reportedly told the Habs that it was either one year or seven years, nothing in between.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
RFA's that are a year away from UFA hold all the cards when a team trades for their rights.

Josh Anderson was in the same situation and reportedly told the Habs that it was either one year or seven years, nothing in between.
Yep. You trade prime assets for a specific player, said specific player knows he’s wanted. That’s why I usually hate the idea of trading for players rights prior to free agency. A team doesn’t want to trade a 5th rounder and lose the player for nothing. Therefore the agent knows this and asks for a little extra.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Well with our draft record we got him for nothing. I kid, I kid. Kind of. Anyway, I doubt Joe bends over for him. He won't break the bank just because he was acquired for 2 2nds.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yep. You trade prime assets for a specific player, said specific player knows he’s wanted. That’s why I usually hate the idea of trading for players rights prior to free agency. A team doesn’t want to trade a 5th rounder and lose the player for nothing. Therefore the agent knows this and asks for a little extra.

It's a bit understandable from the player's POV as well. If you're a player you know that hitting the UFA market at 27 is much better than doing it at 30.

If he signs for 2, 3 or 4 years Sakic will have the buy Toews' prime UFA years.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The one scenario where it makes sense to trade a pick for rights is to be able to sign a player for 8 years to keep the AAV down in your contending years.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think the contracts going around in this market bode well for the Avs in this negotiation. Aside from Anderson, who was paid way more than what his production dictates.

I think 4.5 is the max Toews will get. His numbers shouldn’t support getting more than that.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
People need to quit insisting on having one finger hovering over the Panic button all the time.

There’s zero reason to believe anything is going on aside from him enjoying being a newlywed. Odds are as likely that Toews would take a reasonable deal to help strengthen the team or to have a chance to partner Makar, as they are that he’s trying to squeeze the Avs for extra money just because he knows they value him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad