Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The issue with Toews next contract is can they afford to give him a Girard like long term deal at $5M?

That would be two defenseman at $5M, Makar at $9-10M, plus whatever Byram will make in three years. Not to mention Timmins might not be cheap for long. Whether that's after next year or after a bridge deal. Plus Barron could be up for a raise in 4-5 years.

It's unlikely they'll keep all those guys for 7 years, so then maybe it's better to keep Toews deal to around 4 years. This benefits the team in the short run with a cheaper AAV, and could benefit both the team and Toews more in the long run as well.

I don't think his contract will have much of an impact on the roster structure nor retention for the future.
Sakic has been pretty good about structuring contracts and again, we had planned to shell out a massive AAV for Panarin so they clearly have things planned out cap wise to ensure we can make moves and re-sign players.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s pushing for a short term deal. He’s going from moving the puck out of the Islanders system to a pretty dull group of forwards to the best transition team and a top 3 offensive team in the league. He certainly knows his numbers are about to inflate.

I’m thinking he’s pushing for 2 years, Sakic’s pushing for 4 and they’ll land on 3.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Wouldn’t be shocked if he’s pushing for a short term deal. He’s going from moving the puck out of the Islanders system to a pretty dull group of forwards to the best transition team and a top 3 offensive team in the league. He certainly knows his numbers are about to inflate.

I’m thinking he’s pushing for 2 years, Sakic’s pushing for 4 and they’ll land on 3.

I think that he ends up with a two year deal. Of course, I know that will be a flash point for many posters.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Really hoping it will be 4, or 5, but I think this is the most likely scenario.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If he wants to get paid Toews will take a 1 year deal and head to free agency in a year. Not the greatest market but someone will pay him more than the Avs.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

His PP time will diminish to almost zillch. Can't see him on PP2 if we use Girard.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
The issue with Toews next contract is can they afford to give him a Girard like long term deal at $5M?

That would be two defenseman at $5M, Makar at $9-10M, plus whatever Byram will make in three years. Not to mention Timmins might not be cheap for long. Whether that's after next year or after a bridge deal. Plus Barron could be up for a raise in 4-5 years.

It's unlikely they'll keep all those guys for 7 years, so then maybe it's better to keep Toews deal to around 4 years. This benefits the team in the short run with a cheaper AAV, and could benefit both the team and Toews more in the long run as well.
I’d have no issues whatsoever with long term. If ever you run into a situation where you need to shed a dman, trading a top 4 with a bit of term is prob the easiest trade for a GM to make.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I’d have no issues whatsoever with long term. If ever you run into a situation where you need to shed a dman, trading a top 4 with a bit of term is prob the easiest trade for a GM to make.

Yeah but if you're planning on not having Toews later, it's probably better for the team to do a shorter 4 year deal, because it'll come with a lower AAV since it's buying up less UFA years.

Not a lot of incentive to sign him for longer to a higher AAV, outside of recouping some assets in 5+ years.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Yeah but if you're planning on not having Toews later, it's probably better for the team to do a shorter 4 year deal, because it'll come with a lower AAV since it's buying up less UFA years.

Not a lot of incentive to sign him for longer to a higher AAV, outside of recouping some assets in 5+ years.

More years under contract would add to the trade value. Take the Kadri-Barrie trade. Setting aside the hockey value they brought to each team, Kadri ultimately had more value because he had three years left on a team friendly contract, and Barrie had only one year to UFA. Of course making sure it's a cap friendly highly moveable contract is key.

If it's a shorter deal leading to UFA status, ultimately it's going to be a matter of either re-signing him to a bigger contract sooner, letting him walk as a UFA, or trading him as a rental to another team, which reduces the trade value. If they had both Toews and Girard on long term fairly team friendly contracts, it'd give them more valuable trade assets and greater flexibility, maybe for landing a splashy rental for a Cup run, or restocking prospects or picks, etc. It could be Timmins or Barron who gets traded as well. If they can get Toews signed to a Girard type deal I think it ultimately gives them the most flexibility. The question is whether he would agree to it.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
i've been out of the loop ,can someone tell me if there's any negociations between the Avs and Toews for a contract extension ?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't know why it takes so long. You don't trade for a pending UFA without asking about his contract demands first. Either Sakic thought he'd manage to sign him for less or Toews is using all his leverage to sign for more.

Forget the honeymoon stuff...AFAIK you don't bring your agent with you and he's the one doing the negotiation. They still have 9 days but historically signing just before arbitration isn't a good sign.

Reactions: Avsboy

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My question is: why are we pushing for such a long term deal for Toews, and not for Graves? They're both around the same age and have the same NHL track record. 95GP for Graves, 116 for Toews. One full season in the NHL, and one season split between NHL and AHL. Toews has posted 11-35-46 (.4 PPG), Graves 12-19-31 (.33 PPG). It's not like their stat lines are wildly dissimilar.

I get that Toews looks better but I'm actually not that keen on a 5-6 year term for a late bloomer with one breakout season that may or may not be an anomaly. Girard was a different story as a young kid who had already proven a lot in two seasons with room to grow. But Toews is still not a sure thing here.

We all have seen Graves up close and nitpicked him to death. I worry that we're getting shiny new toy syndrome here talking about long term like he's a core piece. If we were gun-shy about Gravy, I don't see why we wouldn't be similarly hesitant for Toews.

Reactions: MarkT

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
My question is: why are we pushing for such a long term deal for Toews, and not for Graves? They're both around the same age and have the same NHL track record. 95GP for Graves, 116 for Toews. One full season in the NHL, and one season split between NHL and AHL. Toews has posted 11-35-46 (.4 PPG), Graves 12-19-31 (.33 PPG). It's not like their stat lines are wildly dissimilar.

I get that Toews looks better but I'm actually not that keen on a 5-6 year term for a late bloomer with one breakout season that may or may not be an anomaly. Girard was a different story as a young kid who had already proven a lot in two seasons with room to grow. But Toews is still not a sure thing here.

We all have seen Graves up close and nitpicked him to death. I worry that we're getting shiny new toy syndrome here talking about long term like he's a core piece. If we were gun-shy about Gravy, I don't see why we wouldn't be similarly hesitant for Toews.

Toews playoffs: 10 points in 22 GP
Graves playoffs: deer in headlights

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Toews playoffs: 10 points in 22 GP
Graves playoffs: deer in headlights
Like I said, we've already put Graves under the microscope here. I worry that when the season rolls around and we find out he isn't actually a top pairing D we'll turn on Toews, too. Islanders fans are already telling us straight up that Toews on the top pair won't be a good time.

Reactions: MarkT and klozge

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Sakic is usually prepared with his contracts, doubt the numbers will vastly differ from Graves. I expect a deal to be signed and if a shorter deal is demanded, Sakic still has Byram ready for next year and Graves on the team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Like I said, we've already put Graves under the microscope here. I worry that when the season rolls around and we find out he isn't actually a top pairing D we'll turn on Toews, too. Islanders fans are already telling us straight up that Toews on the top pair won't be a good time.
It’s a fair point but Toews was at least a NHLer elsewhere, the Avs tend to wank NHLers into certain guys. Not saying Graves isn’t better than the fools gold guys like Lindholm et al were but there’s a little trepidation with what he really is. I’m keeping my expectations on Toews measured but hopefully he’s someone you at least want to see every night.

They took a while to sign Burky after the trade tho he did not file. I’m sure they’ll get something done with Toews but will probably be more mid term range like 3x3 which is fine.

LostInMosEisley

Aug 18, 2020

It's not that he's a core piece. I'm not even sure Girard is a core piece. The core right now is Mackinnon, Makar, Rantanen and probably Landeskog since he's the captain and all. Maybe Byram and Newhook down the road. Girard on that contract is a great team asset though, either on this team or a high value piece to move in a trade. If they'd signed Graves to a long term deal at an AAV that made him a moveable asset I think that would have been a fine deal too. Graves likely wanted a deal that would get him to UFA in his prime, and Toews may be after something similar. Girard being younger still gets that. He'll be 29 at the end of this contract, Graves and Toews would be in their 30's if they sign a long term deal. If Graves develops into a stellar defensemen in three years he could be up for a big raise, and the Avs would have a decision to make on how to handle him as an asset (trade him, re-sign him, let him walk). Same thing with Toews. Toews may also be looking at wanting to sign another contract when he's in his 20's, but I think the Avs still have a reason to at least try to sign him on a long term team friendly deal.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's not that he's a core piece. I'm not even sure Girard is a core piece. The core right now is Mackinnon, Makar, Rantanen and probably Landeskog since he's the captain and all. Maybe Byram and Newhook down the road. Girard on that contract is a great team asset though, either on this team or a high value piece to move in a trade. If they'd signed Graves to a long term deal at an AAV that made him a moveable asset I think that would have been a fine deal too. Graves likely wanted a deal that would get him to UFA in his prime, and Toews may be after something similar. Girard being younger still gets that. He'll be 29 at the end of this contract, Graves and Toews would be in their 30's if they sign a long term deal. If Graves develops into a stellar defensemen in three years he could be up for a big raise, and the Avs would have a decision to make on how to handle him as an asset (trade him, re-sign him, let him walk). Same thing with Toews. Toews may also be looking at wanting to sign another contract when he's in his 20's, but I think the Avs still have a reason to at least try to sign him on a long term team friendly deal.
Those long term deals are only team friendly if the player ends up being worth what's paid. If he ends up a top 4 mainstay, that's great. But we need to also entertain the possibility that we will wish he was playing lower in the lineup every night once we actually see him on the ice for a season. He could be a flash in the pan type of player who has a career year when he's up for a deal and then flames out.

Good long term deals are great for trade value. Bad ones are the opposite.

Reactions: MarkT

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think the Avs are pretty clearly choosing to be ok with everyone walking at the end of the term of their contracts (Burky, Graves, Nuke, etc) and Toews will prob fit in that same equation which is why I think he’s going to go medium term ~3 years.

Avs hate term under normal circumstances, now more than ever they have reason to avoid it entirely.

Girard is core in their minds since the only players in Sakic’s tenure to get 7 years has been Landeskog and MacKinnon.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

LostInMosEisley

Aug 18, 2020
Those long term deals are only team friendly if the player ends up being worth what's paid. If he ends up a top 4 mainstay, that's great. But we need to also entertain the possibility that we will wish he was playing lower in the lineup every night once we actually see him on the ice for a season. He could be a flash in the pan type of player who has a career year when he's up for a deal and then flames out.

Good long term deals are great for trade value. Bad ones are the opposite.

Of course. I mean the Avs have presumably well paid hockey operations looking at these players and determining their value. If they feel they need evaluation time with Toews before committing long term, they should sign him to a shorter term deal. There's a chance any long term deal goes good or bad, it's not an exact science. EJ and Mack signed similar extensions around the same time and now Mack's deal is amazing and EJ's is not. Girard's contract could end up being bad. Doesn't seem likely but it's not impossible. Overall though having a high IQ mobile two way defensemen pushing his 30's with a couple of years on a cap value contract has a pretty good chance of still being a valuable team asset.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
People always look at things from the team's perspective.

Toews is 26 and becomes UFA next year. Does he really want a 3 year deal? Especially now with the flat cap and all? That's pretty much his only chance to cash in during his whole career. It's very possible that he pulls a Josh Anderson and wants either 1 year or long term. He knows that Sakic traded two 2nd rounders for him, he has all the leverage.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad