Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Those pencilling in Byram on the roster, do you realise that Byram has up to $2.5m in bonuses this season? Together with Makar's bonus that could be quite a juicy caphit rolling onto the 2021/22 roster.

Teams can go over the cap at the end of the year with a "bonus cushion" of 7.5% of the cap, which amounts to $6,112,500.

Which is enough to cover all the bonuses for Makar ($2.5M) Byram ($2.5M) Kaut ($425k) Dickinson ($212,500) Werner ($57,500) Anderson ($20k) and Henry ($20k).

Also if Makar's bonus structure is similar to what it was in 2018-19 during his first playoff run, $787,500 of that $2.5M is if he wins the Conn Smyth. Byram's could very well be the same deal since he was drafted in the same spot by the same team.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: AvsFan29

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Teams can go over the cap at the end of the year with a "bonus cushion" of 7.5% of the cap, which amounts to $6,112,500.

Which is enough to cover all the bonuses for Makar ($2.5M) Byram ($2.5M) Kaut ($425k) Dickinson ($212,500) Werner ($57,500) Anderson ($20k) and Henry ($20k).

Also if Makar's bonus structure is similar to what it was in 2018-19 during his first playoff run, $787,500 of that $2.5M is if he wins the Conn Smyth. Byram's could very well be the same deal since he was drafted in the same spot by the same team.

Teams are allowed to go over it, but it still gets carried over into next season.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
You must only follow the Avs friend. If you kept an eye on the league and the Eastern conference you would know these things. The Penguins were viewed by many as having an awful defense prior to Cole's trade for Robert Bortozzo at the deadline in 2014-2015 . Justin Schultz arrived in a deal from Edmonton at the deadline in in 2015-2016. The following season Schultz ( playing 2/3rds a season with Cole ) produced his finest season with 51 points and a uncharacteristic plus 27 . Schultz was awarded a nice fancy contract as was Brian Dumoulin and Olli Maata got one the year prior. After the Cole trade the Penguins defense has never been the same. Schultz is now with Capitals as the Pens weren't going to retain him, Maata was punched out and traded to the Hawks who decided after one year to move on from him and he is now with the Kings. Only Dumoulin has managed to continue to play at a decent level. The Jack Johnson signing was a bust and Pens fans ran him out of town as his contract was bought out with 3 years left. Now watching a number of the Avs games as I have I will tell you letting Zadorov go to the Hawks is a good thing. I will also tell you that Ryan graves might just be another Justin Schultz. Without the right guys playing with him he is just another body.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Teams are allowed to go over it, but it still gets carried over into next season.

Correct I should have noted that. It's also only what the team goes over the cap by, and only based on bonuses that were earned.

So in the potential Makar and Byram examples, if $787,500 is still for the Conn Smythe and they don't win it, then it and other bonuses that weren't earned, won't be applied.

Teams find ways to manage their budget with these overages though. Nearly half the league has bonus overages due next year.

I don't think next off season is shaping up to be a problem for the Avs though. I think they'll have a lot of cheap talent like Kaut, Newhook, Bowers, and Timmins replace expensive guys on the roster, and they'll be fine. Plus Burakovsky may get picked in expansion and Saad not be brought back.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Those pencilling in Byram on the roster, do you realise that Byram has up to $2.5m in bonuses this season? Together with Makar's bonus that could be quite a juicy caphit rolling onto the 2021/22 roster.
Have to find a trade for one or both of the $3 Million dollar men not taken in the expansion draft if they are still on the roster next off season, which will be infinitely easier to do then than now.

Being able to save $1 million on the resigning of Lando, Makar and Groo (or his replacement) would also help.

If they are planning on buying out EJ net season that would free up the money.

The ONLY reason Byram should not be on the roster next year is if it is detrimental to his development.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Have to find a trade for one or both of the $3 Million dollar men not taken in the expansion draft if they are still on the roster next off season, which will be infinitely easier to do then than now.

Being able to save $1 million on the resigning of Lando, Makar and Groo (or his replacement) would also help.

The ONLY reason Byram should not be on the roster next year is if it is detrimental to his development.
I didn't mean to imply that we should leave Byram off the roster at all costs just becase of the bonuses. Just pointing out that it shoud be a factor to consider when building the roster.

I agree that one of Graves or Compher/Donskoi needs to be lost in expansion ideally, with another traded. We should have Newhook and Byram ready to replace them at that point.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

As others have pointed out, you're allowed to go 7.5% over the cap at the end of the year, BUT, that overage still has to be accounted for somewhere so it will roll onto the next season, or split across the next two seasons if you choose.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
As others have pointed out, you're allowed to go 7.5% over the cap at the end of the year, BUT, that overage still has to be accounted for somewhere so it will roll onto the next season, or split across the next two seasons if you choose.

If they don't trade for another expensive player under contract, I think they should be fine in 2021-22. They'll lose a decent sized salary to expansion either way, and with hopefully only one more year of a flat cap, I think it will be easier to move someone if they need to.

They've got $30.5M in cap space available right now, minus whatever Toews gets. The only must signs are Landy, Makar, and either Grubauer or his replacement.

The cheap ELC's should be able to fill many of the remaining spots, and they'll have the option of trying to bring back Saad or look for someone cheaper.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Like @Foppa2118 said, of Makar's bonuses 800k is tied to club B bonus which requires him to win the Smythe. That is highly unlikely with Mack on the team. Bonuses won't be a big factor.

It's not 100% clear that still applies to later seasons though. I'm going off CapFriendly which mentions this for 2018-19.

Decent chance it's the same in all years though, and that Byram's deal is the same.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
If they don't trade for another expensive player under contract, I think they should be fine in 2021-22. They'll lose a decent sized salary to expansion either way, and with hopefully only one more year of a flat cap, I think it will be easier to move someone if they need to.

They've got $30.5M in cap space available right now, minus whatever Toews gets. The only must signs are Landy, Makar, and either Grubauer or his replacement.

The cheap ELC's should be able to fill many of the remaining spots, and they'll have the option of trying to bring back Saad or look for someone cheaper.
The cap situation is set up very well heading into 2021, but it's still likely going to tight against the cap. Bringing back Saad would probably only be an option if we manage to move out a contract like Donskoi or Johnson.

Adding a forward on only a 1 year deal was really prudent of Sakic as it maintains flexibility next offseason, and he likely won't be forced to trade someone unless he really wants to.

Colorado 2021-22 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

upload_2020-10-16_9-52-51.png

upload_2020-10-16_9-52-29.png

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The cap situation is set up very well heading into 2021, but it's still likely going to tight against the cap. Bringing back Saad would probably only be an option if we manage to move out a contract like Donskoi or Johnson.

Adding a forward on only a 1 year deal was really prudent of Sakic as it maintains flexibility next offseason, and he likely won't be forced to trade someone unless he really wants to.

Colorado 2021-22 - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

View attachment 372999

View attachment 372998

Compher could potentially be moved out as well if they need to, and replaced with Kaut or another cheaper alternative.

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Toews can play on the right side. Being realistic, this is what our D corps will look like next playoffs:

Graves - Makar
Girard - Toews
Byram - Cole
Some AHLer

LTIR: EJ, Timmins
Stats aren’t anything but it’s quite noticibke that Toews’ advances stats show that his on ice shot attempts/scoring chance stats are better while away from all three of Leddy, Pelech and Greene than they are with them. However his on ice stats are better with Dobson, Boychuk and Mayfield than when he’s away from them.

I’m not going to pretend I watched a lot so for all I know Toews still played the left side when paired with those lefties but it is interesting that he plays much better with righties than lefties.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You must only follow the Avs friend. If you kept an eye on the league and the Eastern conference you would know these things. The Penguins were viewed by many as having an awful defense prior to Cole's trade for Robert Bortozzo at the deadline in 2014-2015 . Justin Schultz arrived in a deal from Edmonton at the deadline in in 2015-2016. The following season Schultz ( playing 2/3rds a season with Cole ) produced his finest season with 51 points and a uncharacteristic plus 27 . Schultz was awarded a nice fancy contract as was Brian Dumoulin and Olli Maata got one the year prior. After the Cole trade the Penguins defense has never been the same. Schultz is now with Capitals as the Pens weren't going to retain him, Maata was punched out and traded to the Hawks who decided after one year to move on from him and he is now with the Kings. Only Dumoulin has managed to continue to play at a decent level. The Jack Johnson signing was a bust and Pens fans ran him out of town as his contract was bought out with 3 years left. Now watching a number of the Avs games as I have I will tell you letting Zadorov go to the Hawks is a good thing. I will also tell you that Ryan graves might just be another Justin Schultz. Without the right guys playing with him he is just another body.

Glad you like him. One of the east teams should take him back.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Stats aren’t anything but it’s quite noticibke that Toews’ advances stats show that his on ice shot attempts/scoring chance stats are better while away from all three of Leddy, Pelech and Greene than they are with them. However his on ice stats are better with Dobson, Boychuk and Mayfield than when he’s away from them.

I’m not going to pretend I watched a lot so for all I know Toews still played the left side when paired with those lefties but it is interesting that he plays much better with righties than lefties.

If he can’t play the right side well then I guess Avs are considering Graves gone sooner than later. We really need some more reliable RH options.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I'm not sure weather Cole would mind be traded or not. Cole wants to win another cup but most of all he wants to play. I will agree his play fell off late last season and into the playoffs but the guy still is a plus 95 over his career. You ever hear about a former Penguin named Justin Schultz? I'm pretty sure chapter 2 of the book is Ryan Graves.

Two time Stanley cup champion Justin Schultz?

If Graves has that kind of success then gets exposed as a mediocre player they can throw him into the ocean.

If the Avs win a cup I would even be happy with a Cole extension.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Glad you like him. One of the east teams should take him back.
I'm sure one of the East teams would love to have him. I know the Capitals did not like playing against him in the two series the Pens beat them and went on to win cups. I get it. You like your defensemen to be all about offense and really don't observe the finer points of the game. Every team needs some defensive defenders and I don't know where you find one better than Cole. The fact that Cole had 26 points with virtually all of them coming at even strength is something most fans miss. What I suggest is you take a look at every defensement in the NHL's stats and back out their powerplay points as a basic first criteria. I'll do one for you. Alex Pietrangelo had 51 points last year with 22 coming on the powerplay. Now Petro is a 30 point defensemen at even strength and Cole has had 26 points at even strength twice in his career. Hmmm. Another stat you might want to look at but it takes time is points per minute and plus minus per minute. I'll leave those lessons for another day but they are pretty simple, you might even enjoy doing the math.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm sure one of the East teams would love to have him. I know the Capitals did not like playing against him in the two series the Pens beat them and went on to win cups. I get it. You like your defensemen to be all about offense and really don't observe the finer points of the game. Every team needs some defensive defenders and I don't know where you find one better than Cole. The fact that Cole had 26 points with virtually all of them coming at even strength is something most fans miss. What I suggest is you take a look at every defensement in the NHL's stats and back out their powerplay points as a basic first criteria. I'll do one for you. Alex Pietrangelo had 51 points last year with 22 coming on the powerplay. Now Petro is a 30 point defensemen at even strength and Cole has had 26 points at even strength twice in his career. Hmmm. Another stat you might want to look at but it takes time is points per minute and plus minus per minute. I'll leave those lessons for another day but they are pretty simple, you might even enjoy doing the math.

I dunno, I'm sure some ECHL fighter would probably do a better job than Cole at playing Defense at this point.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

If Byrams not on the roster next year I would feel pretty bad about his chances of being an impact player. Or at least his development so far.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Who is Devon Toews, and Why Does the Analytics Community Like Him So Much?

Pretty solid article on Toews’ analytics and why he seemed to struggle a bit in the playoffs compared to the regular season. (Which is why Isles fans seem to talk him down a bit).
Thanks for sharing that, interesting read.

There are plenty of nuggets in that article, but this one stands out:
Additionally, per PuckIQ he played better against top competition than any Islanders defenceman by a wide margin, putting up a 48.8% shot share compared to second place Adam Pelech’s 44%.
:nod:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I personally don’t mind Cole as a 6th/7th D. As far as bottom pair defenceman go, I thought he had a god season last year. I think his time in Colorado will be done after this year, but I don’t see an issue in bringing him back this year. Especially if he’s willing to sit some games in the Barberio role if needed.

Reactions: Balthazar

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Was just coming here to comment on that.

Grzelyck is a solid comparable to Toews IMO. Toews had slightly better numbers last year, but Grzelyck is also more proven.

I'd guess this should like Toews up in the range of a 4x4 type of contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad