Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire D Devon Toews from NYI for 2021 2nd and 2022 2nd

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
My biggest concern with our defense will be their ability to survive a hard forechecking team. Hopefully, my concern is laid to rest early in the season and our puck moving defensemen can get the puck out quick and minimize the effectiveness of a hard forecheck.

I'm more worried about our puck moving dmen not being able to handle clearing the front of the crease than handling a forecheck. I think Toews with his decent size and skating will add to our ability to handle a forecheck. But when EJ went out; Graves showed he is ONLY a shot blocker and not a crease clearing dman. Maybe Graves improves in this area by the end of next year though; it's not like he lacks the size and he is very coachable.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I just hope Graves watches his "work" on the PK in the playoffs...well him and a few other forwards **cough Compher**cough**. He has to improve there with the money they are paying him and the likelihood now that hes going to be one of the go to guys Jared is going to rely on. Hes a big kid so hopefully he gets stronger aswell.

Going back to the thread. ….I love Devon Toews.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Those pencilling in Byram on the roster, do you realise that Byram has up to $2.5m in bonuses this season? Together with Makar's bonus that could be quite a juicy caphit rolling onto the 2021/22 roster.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I agree. Graves may not be great with the puck, but he's ok, and the coaches want him trying to make plays. Not just playing a stay at home role, because Bednar wants everyone playing on their toes to make the other team react to them, and possibly force breakdowns.

And like you say, Graves is a notch above someone like Nemeth who was more of stay at home type. The coaches tried getting him to make more plays like they do with Graves, but his puck sills were a notch below Graves.

Which is part of why he works with Makar. He knows Makar is way better than him with the puck so he won't take much puck time away from Cale, but he's also confident enough in himself to at least try to make plays and rush the puck when the opposition gives him that opportunity.

Not only does this help the team, but this helps Makar, because Graves can at least serve as some sort of distraction or decoy. The opposition knows it's not Makar carrying the puck 100% of the time from the backend, so they won't cheat as much to aggressively step up on him and take away his time and space.

When it comes down to it, no matter what your skill level, that's the mentality you want guys playing with. Someone who has the confidence to make a play. Put Graves in a lesser role and those attributes to his game will stand out even more as a positive thing, rather than a negative thing because he's playing above his capabilities.
Yeah, agreed. Nemeth is in the category of "good enough to play in the NHL" as far as offense goes, but no more than that. And that tier of "bare minimum" skill level does not score 9 goals in a season.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm more worried about our puck moving dmen not being able to handle clearing the front of the crease than handling a forecheck. I think Toews with his decent size and skating will add to our ability to handle a forecheck. But when EJ went out; Graves showed he is ONLY a shot blocker and not a crease clearing dman. Maybe Graves improves in this area by the end of next year though; it's not like he lacks the size and he is very coachable.

I’m a little worried about this too. However, I’ve also wondered if the Avs have determined there’s greater value in a player being able to get to the puck and do something with it. And they feel this way to such a degree that it’s worth it to have 6 guys like this?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think the Avs need much help in the crease-clearing area. They did it to near-perfection whenever Frankie was in the net during the regular season. And let's be honest, for all the size and strength and reach he had, Zadorov was about the worst net-front defender I've ever seen. Toews could not possibly be worse than him in that regard.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I’m a little worried about this too. However, I’ve also wondered if the Avs have determined there’s greater value in a player being able to get to the puck and do something with it. And they feel this way to such a degree that it’s worth it to have 6 guys like this?

I don't think they are taking it to that extreme because we still employ Cole. It's clear though they value having a puck movers on each pairing most likely so they can even out the ES minutes. Our dmen skate ALOT and pinch aggressively; they don't just sit back. That expends a ton of energy.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I don't think they are taking it to that extreme because we still employ Cole. It's clear though they value having a puck movers on each pairing most likely so they can even out the ES minutes. Our dmen skate ALOT and pinch aggressively; they don't just sit back. That expends a ton of energy.

I think they’d be thrilled to move on from Cole. I think they’re waiting on him to be gone. Once they do, it will be interesting to see what happens.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Who cares about whether Cole is happy?
I'm not sure weather Cole would mind be traded or not. Cole wants to win another cup but most of all he wants to play. I will agree his play fell off late last season and into the playoffs but the guy still is a plus 95 over his career. You ever hear about a former Penguin named Justin Schultz? I'm pretty sure chapter 2 of the book is Ryan Graves.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
People should focus less on Cole and more on finding ways to replace Compher. Cole's contract is expiring at the end of next year and we need him on the PK and to play bottom pair RD.

Cole is useful and moving him in this market would cost an arm and a leg...it's not worth it.

Now if we could find a way to use JTC's cap space on a real 3C...

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I'm not sure weather Cole would mind be traded or not. Cole wants to win another cup but most of all he wants to play. I will agree his play fell off late last season and into the playoffs but the guy still is a plus 95 over his career. You ever hear about a former Penguin named Justin Schultz? I'm pretty sure chapter 2 of the book is Ryan Graves.

LOL
:laugh:

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
People should focus less on Cole and more on finding ways to replace Compher. Cole's contract is expiring at the end of next year and we need him on the PK and to play bottom pair RD.

Cole is useful and moving him in this market would cost an arm and a leg...it's not worth it.

Now if we could find a way to use JTC's cap space on a real 3C...

Doesn't Compher only have 2 years to go?
He seems to be one of the guys the coaching staff thinks is a good PKer he carries the puck on the PP and is putting up a decent amount of points for a third liner.

I have a feeling the coaching staff thinks he's a valuable asset.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Doesn't Compher only have 2 years to go?
He seems to be one of the guys the coaching staff thinks is a good PKer he carries the puck on the PP and is putting up a decent amount of points for a third liner.

I have a feeling the coaching staff thinks he's a valuable asset.

I think Compher has 3 years left. I think he and Donskoi are both 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad