Post-Game Talk: Aves 3 Oiles 1 || Play it cool... play it cool... WE'RE GONNA WIN THE CUP!!!!1

NHL33*

Yes, I remember the thread. Why would I forget how much I loathed the way Duchene was playing the last two seasons? I was vocal about it and would still be if this was the Duchene from '10-11 or '11-12. He took a mature attitude, worked on his weaknesses, and has come into this season a completely different player mentally. If he was playing like last season I wouldn't bat an eye and still be in favor of trading him.

However, he is now playing two-way hockey...his defensive effort from his rookie season is visible, and he's playing a more cerebral game than ever before. This is the best he has been as an Avalanche and I like it. It's not as if I 'wanted to be right' -- I wanted him to prove me wrong, had lost hope, but luckily things have worked out for the best it seems. Still want a larger sample size but very, very pleased with his play so far.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yes, I remember the thread. Why would I forget how much I loathed the way Duchene was playing the last two seasons? I was vocal about it and would still be if this was the Duchene from '10-11 or '11-12. He took a mature attitude, worked on his weaknesses, and has come into this season a completely different player mentally. If he was playing like last season I wouldn't bat an eye and still be in favor of trading him.

However, he is now playing two-way hockey...his defensive effort from his rookie season is visible, and he's playing a more cerebral game than ever before. This is the best he has been as an Avalanche and I like it. It's not as if I 'wanted to be right' -- I wanted him to prove me wrong, had lost hope, but luckily things have worked out for the best it seems. Still want a larger sample size but very, very pleased with his play so far.

I understand it's a short sample size but it's just a perfect example of how people on these boards prematurely jump to conclusions.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Same reason we shouldn't throw Staz under the bus even though this has been continuing for quite some time now. He's been in a long slump now but players have come out of long slumps before and will continue to do so (Spezza). Remember when HF posters thought Malkin had declined :facepalm:

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
As long as Stastny don't get to play with players who can quickly put the puck in net from close range we need to temper our expectations. Jones had a decent shot but he's more a guy that wants to pick a corner from a bit out or on the rush.

Compare to players like Bruno and Stewart and it's easy to see why Stastny gets fewer assists these days. This is why I think Landeskog might be a good fit. He's smart enough to put himself in good scoring positions playing with someone like Stastny.

NHL33*

I understand it's a short sample size but it's just a perfect example of how people on these boards prematurely jump to conclusions.

It was the correct conclusion based on his NHL play -- note: contrary to some people's beliefs not a reaction to '11-12 -- and the limited information available to me. I don't know Matt Duchene as an individual so I have no idea what his personality is, etc., but based on what I knew I would make that conclusion the majority of times than not.

The idea that he would be a passable top-6 center was not denied, whether he would reflect his 3rd overall draft pick was doubted significantly. He has come around and I give him massive credit; defensive effort alone is something very easy to accomplish, and he has started doing that along with demonstration of his playmaking / vision that those who saw him in juniors claimed he had in spades.

Still a small sample size but the types of improvements he is showing (mental) favor credibility. You're free to criticize me as much as you want if Duchene keeps it up, it's fair, bit I don't mind being wrong occasionally and I won't be cowed from putting my opinion out there again either.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It was the correct conclusion based on his NHL play -- note: contrary to some people's beliefs not a reaction to '11-12 -- and the limited information available to me. I don't know Matt Duchene as an individual so I have no idea what his personality is, etc., but based on what I knew I would make that conclusion the majority of times than not.

The idea that he would be a passable top-6 center was not denied, whether he would reflect his 3rd overall draft pick was doubted significantly. He has come around and I give him massive credit; defensive effort alone is something very easy to accomplish, and he has started doing that along with demonstration of his playmaking / vision that those who saw him in juniors claimed he had in spades.

Still a small sample size but the types of improvements he is showing (mental) favor credibility. You're free to criticize me as much as you want if Duchene keeps it up, it's fair, bit I don't mind being wrong occasionally and I won't be cowed from putting my opinion out there again either.

Alot of people fail to look at the big picture. You have to look at why Duchene had a rough 11-12 season.

I think it was reasonable to look at him and say, he's a young guy who has showed huge potential who tried to do too much at times. When you couple that with his age and immaturity, it seemed logical for him to eventually play to his limitations. He's certainly doing that now.'

I did think this is a great example of why people need to show more patience on these boards. Before last year who would have thought O'reilly would score 55 points? People thought the Varly trade was bad, but look how well he's developed and he's healthy. Sorry for specifically picking on you I just saw your post and it reminded me of the argument we had.

NHL33*

Alot of people fail to look at the big picture. You have to look at why Duchene had a rough 11-12 season.

I think it was reasonable to look at him and say, he's a young guy who has showed huge potential who tried to do too much at times. When you couple that with his age and immaturity, it seemed logical for him to eventually play to his limitations. He's certainly doing that now.'

I did think this is a great example of why people need to show more patience on these boards. Before last year who would have thought O'reilly would score 55 points? People thought the Varly trade was bad, but look how well he's developed and he's healthy. Sorry for specifically picking on you I just saw your post and it reminded me of the argument we had.
Duchene might be a young player but hustle is something anyone, no matter their level of skill, is capable of. He hasn't shown this much defensive effort since the first half of his rookie season.

The only development he showed was in the faceoff circle, and his level of play in general was a major cause for concern given their mental rather than physical nature. Young players do grow, but such progress is not to be taken for granted or else Wolski would be a monster today.

A lot of Duchene's proponents have been quick to assume that '11-12 was a horrific season due to injuries. Injuries didn't help but he was awful prior to the injuries. Additionally, the concern was prior to '11-12 season, not a reaction to it.

Varlamov trade has nothing to do with him as a player and everything to do with asset management, which is a fairly major part of rebuilding. It was a bad trade, is still a bad trade, and Varlamov proving his talent - not doubted save by a small minority - does not negate it. It's not analogous to Duchene because the latter was about Duchene as a player. O'Reilly is a good example although not entirely 'apples to apples'.

And you are not 'picking' on me. You can criticize me all you want for the stance I took, or any stance that I have today.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks man, t'would be epic.

Would you be able to do a Sgarbossa one as well? I'd really appreciate it if you could.

http://sdrv.ms/12nqAWG
http://sdrv.ms/12nqGxm

I have no idea if either will turn out formatting-wise ok... nor if the links will work. I can't upload at work so I had to use my SkyDrive and mobile GIMP.

If I had more time I might try to remove the trim. Bubba, any idea why your avatar isn't transparent but the one I posted was?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Let's just remember that "Bubba Duchene" was the original. :yo:

Thanks again, Lonewolfe :D

We should call them all "Bubba _____"

Bubba Varlamov, Bubba Sgarbossa, Bubba Landeskog, Bubba Johnson, Bubba etc...

Cuz, you know, "Bubba's" have big, thick, redneck beards.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Let's just remember that "Bubba Duchene" was the original. :yo:

Thanks again, Lonewolfe :D

We should call them all "Bubba _____"

Bubba Varlamov, Bubba Sgarbossa, Bubba Landeskog, Bubba Johnson, Bubba etc...

Cuz, you know, "Bubba's" have big, thick, redneck beards.

We'll be known as the Bubba's and start a junkyard gang.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't usually make avatars this much... but you guys will all have to give me some time. I still don't understand the lack of transparency when you guys go to use them as your Avatars... maybe I can work up a background image instead or something.

I'm not going to spend my whole free time doing this though so when I'm bored at lunch or days like tomorrow I might do a few cause it's not gym days. I'll try to change up the beard design a bit too so they don't all look the same.

member 116861

I don't usually make avatars this much... but you guys will all have to give me some time. I still don't understand the lack of transparency when you guys go to use them as your Avatars... maybe I can work up a background image instead or something.

I'm not going to spend my whole free time doing this though so when I'm bored at lunch or days like tomorrow I might do a few cause it's not gym days. I'll try to change up the beard design a bit too so they don't all look the same.

It's because they are saved as .jpg's if you want the background to be transparent you have to save the image as a .png. The problem with that is, .png files are too big and HFBoards doesn't allow you to use them. So to have a transparent background, you have to match the background grey colour of HFBoards and fill your background with that grey colour and save it as a .jpg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad