Tennis: French Open 2024

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Defending champions are Djokovic and Swiatek.

Nadal is planning on playing. Likely his last French Open. We'll see how his body hopes up.

I wouldn't bet on Djokovic winning this either. Alcaraz's health is a major concern at the moment.

Zverev is in form coming off a win in Rome and Ruud always a threat here.

The title is probably as wide open as it gets I think. Maybe even see a first time major winner...

On the women's side, Swiatek seems like a good bet to repeat. In top form winning Madrid and Rome.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
A couple of tough, gutsy wins for our youngsters in the second round of qualifying today.

Diallo won a 3 hour+ match and Stakusic won a 3 set thriller saving 5(!!) MP's.

Hopefully they have something left in tank for the final round.

Thiem and Schwartzman both go out in qualifying today. Their final Roland Garros...

Reactions: MsMeow

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL rigged....Rafa draws Zverev. Same as when Serena magically drew Kontaveit who was 2 at the time...smells of we sort of know you can lose to ANYONE so lets put you vs someone you SHOULD lose to but if you win its a great story.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa draws Zverev.
creepy-smile-to-laugh-loki-mcu-7dod6qr09ahkxot3.gif

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fearless predictions

Nole over Ruud (Early challenge: Seyboth Wild for Djokovic; Mensic in the first round for Ruud)
Zverev over Medvedev (Early challenge: Nadal for Zverev; nice draw for Daniil)

Tsitisipas over Alcaraz (Roadblock for Tsitsipas is Rublev; early challenge for Alcaraz is Draper)
Sinner over Tabilo (Smooth sailing for Sinner; challenges for Tabilo include Hurkacz and Dimitrov)

Zverev over Djokovic
Tsitsipas over Sinner

Tsitsipas over Zverev

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Diallo wins another 3 setter to qualify! It will be his first ever GS MD appearance!

I also noticed that Andreescu is making her comeback here.

Stakusic will play her FQR tomorrow.

Reactions: MsMeow

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Fearless predictions

Nole over Ruud (Early challenge: Seyboth Wild for Djokovic; Mensic in the first round for Ruud)
Zverev over Medvedev (Early challenge: Nadal for Zverev; nice draw for Daniil)

Tsitisipas over Alcaraz (Roadblock for Tsitsipas is Rublev; early challenge for Alcaraz is Draper)
Sinner over Tabilo (Smooth sailing for Sinner; challenges for Tabilo include Hurkacz and Dimitrov)

Zverev over Djokovic
Tsitsipas over Sinner

Tsitsipas over Zverev

Alcaraz crushes Tsitsipas usually so unless his forearm is still an issue I'd be surprised if he lost to the Greek.

This is such a a wide open French Open, first one since before Nadal, but that's only because Alcaraz and Sinner have injury issues and we have no idea what kind of form Djokovic is in. If all 3 are right, it's them then sizeable gap to the rest of the field although it's unclear how this new and improved Sinner is on clay.

My dark horse is Rune. His game suits clay and when he's on (which is rare nowadays) he can beat just about anybody. He won't win the FO but he's a threat for the semis IMO.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alcaraz crushes Tsitsipas usually so unless his forearm is still an issue I'd be surprised if he lost to the Greek.

This is such a a wide open French Open, first one since before Nadal, but that's only because Alcaraz and Sinner have injury issues and we have no idea what kind of form Djokovic is in. If all 3 are right, it's them then sizeable gap to the rest of the field although it's unclear how this new and improved Sinner is on clay.

My dark horse is Rune. His game suits clay and when he's on (which is rare nowadays) he can beat just about anybody. He won't win the FO but he's a threat for the semis IMO.
I'm betting Alcaraz's forearm will be an issue, that and his lack of match play recently. But, you are right about Carlos' dominance of Tsitsipas, 5-0 over all, and 3-0 on clay, the last three matches that they have played actually. I'll be rooting for Carlos one way or the other.

Reactions: CupofOil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm betting Alcaraz's forearm will be an issue, that and his lack of match play recently. But, you are right about Carlos' dominance of Tsitsipas, 5-0 over all, and 3-0 on clay, the last three matches that they have played actually. I'll be rooting for Carlos one way or the other.
Same here. I've been a fan of his ever since I saw him for the first time at Winston Salem 2021. I knew about him before that but never saw him play then once I saw him I knew he was special right away.

In any event, this is one of the most intriguing French Opens in decades, have no idea what to expect considering that the top 3 aren't in top form right now. I still think we'll see the cream rise to the top when all is said and done and hopefully Nadal doesn't get embarrassed by Zverev in Hurkacz over Federer fashion, would hate to see him go out like that.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One possible complicating factor for Zverev during Roland Garros is that his trial for domestic abuse starts May 29 in Germany.

According to a recent article in ESPN:

"On Oct. 2, 2023 a criminal court issued a fine of 450,000 Euros (about $488,000) and a penalty order against Zverev. In German law, such an order can be used when there is compelling evidence to support the accusation and a trial is not deemed necessary. Defendants have the right to contest the order, which then results in a public trial. Zverev contested the order and legally maintains the presumption of innocence until he stands trial."

Zverev is not required to show up in person in order to contest the order, and he has said he doesn't plan to. However, if his guilt is confirmed at the trial, he may possibly face more severe penalties, included imprisonment, than just the hefty fine. Facing such allegations and dealing with the conclusion that the court has already drawn by issuing its fine, Zverev may find it hard to give his undivided attention to a tennis match.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I think Zverev is playing too well right now for Nadal.
I've written Nadal off numerous times before (starting in the mid-2010s with injuries & Nole beating him seemingly at will), and he has proven me wrong time and time again. However, I really can't see him winning any more GS tournaments, French Open or otherwise. Even beating Zverev would be a huge upset.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draper loses in five sets to De Jong (#177), of all people. See comment #703 on the tennis page.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Diallo has fought back from 2 sets down against Nishikori and has forced a 5th set.

Nishikori getting a lengthy MTO, so we'll see what happens.

Diallo won the 4th set easily.

Nishikori takes the 5th 7-5.

Tough loss for Diallo.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Wow, after their amazing run in Rome both Jarry and Tabilo out in round 1.
I am so glad I refrained from making any predicitons.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wouldn't write off Rafa's chances today entirely. Zverev is in great form, having won Rome. He is serving like a superman, managing to land 73% on his first serve and getting to 80% in some matches. He has maybe the best backhand on tour for coping with Nadal's forehand strategies. And he has to be favoured on an extended match because of Nadal's lack of match fitness.

But Nadal is Nadal and can never be written off completely. Zverev can become passive and he can choke in key situations. The French crowd may be Nadal's secret weapon. If he gives them an opportunity to will him home, they will do their best to make it happen. And Rafa still has the advantage in fiery determination and character. It has been commented on that he has been playing very well in practice. I'm not betting on him, but I'm not betting against him either.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, tiny small sample size, but ouch! Zverev looked killer.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not the slaughter that it first appeared to be but still pretty one-sided, Zverev takes the opening set 6-3 behind two service breaks. And now Rafa has expended a set's worth of energy in a losing cause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad