OT: Avatars, the real story.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I took a break. I’m only answering here cause my name came up but I’m thinking of moving on from the forum for reasons I’d rather not get into. I don’t have much to show for my 10 years here, so it’s probably for the best.

Only one life to live and it gets shorter by the minute.... do what you love to do, whatever that may be

Unless it's criminal!

With that said, we live in a society which is obsessed with productivity because that's how our overlords influence us to be, so at the end of it all they gain more wealth and power. f*** them and live your life for yourself and those you love. f*** productivity. I'd be down with productivity if the end goal was a better world for all of us.

And you're a legend here, so don't you dare not come back and visit from time to time.

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Not every endeavor is about productivity. Just like Seinfeld, my posts here are about absolutely nothing. But for the most part, I've enjoyed myself. I can be productive the rest of the time. And my posts date back to my days as JapanMontrealExpat, going back to 2001, through GermanyMontrealExpat (06-08), NCarolinaMtlExpat (08-11) and my current instantiation. Nothing useful, but a resolutely contrarian and hockey-passionate viewpoint.

I always assume you were also NovascotiaMtlexpat

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
...that's why most of us are here, amigo...what do I add, besides comic relief that is light on comedy??...most of the time, nothing...I'm here for ME, not to impress anyone with my hot takes or knowledge of fancy stats or whatever...I'm a lifelong Habs fan and enjoy talking with other lifelong Habs fans and hockey fans in general...and I've met some really awesome people, like yourself, Runner, and lots of others that I would have never had a chance to meet, let alone shoot the shyte with...I might disappear for awhile every now and then (last year/this year for reasons outside my control for the most part), but I'm always happy when I come back and see y'all still here and "fighting the good fight", as in just having fun having fun...
I kind of figured you're someone that goes way back and we have actually known each other since the early days. No need to go into further details, but it's kind of cool how some of y'all are still around after so long. It's like a weird dysfunctional family, but still, family. I'm no where near as active as a poster, but i read y'all every day.

It's a kind of comfort. Know what i mean?

Plus, the memes.

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I am going to admit a dirty secret...

I never read the forewords.... :eek3:

Well, I too rarely do read them, but it was in my early 20's when everything seemed so important to read, and it was Orwell, so I wanted to know more about him and Wiki didn't exist back then.

Forewords are boring, i know

Reactions: Licou

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
I liked the rock opera because I was a Deep Purple's and Ian Gillan's fan.

I loved that player since he was a rookie, never seen somebody like him before or since.

I lived in bliss for 7 years being able to root for the Nords and the Habs at the same time.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I shamelessly stole the terminator with a pimp hat picture from somethingawful.com and asked whoever was making these playoff avatars in like... I don't know... 2008? 2009? I don't remember... But everyone had this stamp with "drive for 25"... Anyway I like it and I am not going to change it.
Hey I made those ! It might not be much, but I'm always happy to see people still sporting the many playoffs avatars I made in late 00s, early 10s.

Last edited:

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
carey-price-tri-e1435241798515.jpg

When Carey was the best player in the league.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Hey I made those ! It might be not much, but I'm always happy to see people still sporting the many playoffs avatars I made in late 00s, early 10s.

That's amazing ! Apologies for not giving you credit, it's been a while indeed !

I loved the design at the time and still do today.

The text is still relevant as well today too (unfortunately).

Thank you for the great work.

• Love
Reactions: Jee

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Following @Belial's comment yesterday about me changing avatars too often, I got to thinking about why people choose a particular subject.

There's apparently a point to the avatar. What it is, I don't know. Maybe I'll get some answers from you guys?

What do cars, @OldCraig71 dogs @Mrb1p , actors @Matthew McConaughay , cartoon characters, @HabSgt etc... have to do with the Habs?

Some use pics of past deceased favourite pets as an homage, some post pics of their kids or other family members, I go with Miley now.
My history of Avatars only contains a few. My first avatar was Shania in a Habs costume, but I saw someone else using it so I changed it after only a few weeks.
View attachment 560074

I used my niece's infant in his Habs jammies. That one stayed for a while.
View attachment 560062
Then one day, I found this and it became my go to avatar for years, even had him wearing a mask during the pandemic. It was fun while it lasted but I became restless and needed a change.
View attachment 560072

I didn't really know who Miley Cyrus was, I knew she was Billy Ray's daughter and that's it.
One day I came across the Hannah Montana series and noticed it was her. Just pre-teen garbage and moved on.
I was aware of her outrageousness from articles and video clips of her performing and twerking. Wasn't impressed.

Then I saw her wrecking ball video, and being a male, albeit an old one, I still had eyes. (and mostly, ears).
After re-watchng it and listening with my full attention, I was impressed. This girl can sing like it's nobody's business.

I spent the next few hours on Youtube devouring her, but not so much
her older stuff. It was her choice of covers, and the ease at witch she did some of them. Black Dog, Immigrant song, are two good examples.
Then Midnight sky came out, and that was it, I was hooked. And her band is near perfection.

So, like it or not, she's my avy of choice in as many flavours as you want.

An artist that became big in Montreal later made this logo for my DJ stuff back in 1994, it's my biggest connection with Montreal lol (we are still good friends).
At this point it's like furniture, I can't change it.
The reason I started using it for this forum, we both call it "the orange puck", made me think about hockey rapidly.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I took a break. I’m only answering here cause my name came up but I’m thinking of moving on from the forum for reasons I’d rather not get into. I don’t have much to show for my 10 years here, so it’s probably for the best.
Sad to see you go, but have a good one. If you hear a Miley song, you can think of me. :laugh:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
An artist that became big in Montreal later made this logo for my DJ stuff back in 1994, it's my biggest connection with Montreal lol (we are still good friends).
At this point it's like furniture, I can't change it.
The reason I started using it for this forum, we both call it "the orange puck", made me think about hockey rapidly.

I'll always remember your logo. I recognize it as the "unwelcome commitee" logo

First ever post I made, the first reply was from you and you berrated me over I don't remember what. You were on my shit list for a long time.

Reactions: Mrb1p

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I'll always remember your logo. I recognize it as the "unwelcome commitee" logo

First ever post I made, the first reply was from you and you berrated me over I don't remember what. You were on my shit list for a long time.

Haha - it's recognizable.

This is a forum, we discuss, and my expectations for arguments are what they are (I make no excuses for this). Yet. Please remember this, I would still have a beer and some chips with anyone and tell each other some jokes. ie. if I berate, it's not you, it's the ideas.

To the shit list, I run back lol

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
My avatar it's me because I like showing my cute face. I'm a cute guy for being in friendzone in every stade of my life.
I love your changing avatars, and always see it as the face of positivity. I might not always agree with all your points, but I always appreciate your positivity. You’re a solid contributor imo. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad